Somali Government requests to end UNSomalia and the closure of the Halane compound.

To exit Chapter 7, Somalia must: 1) Request Security Council review, 2) Demonstrate situation improvement, 3) Undergo Council deliberation,4) Draft resolution, 5) Vote on resolution, 6) Implement exit upon positive outcome

this will be a great achievement of achieved

This will have no bearing on whether Somalia exits chapter 7 but UN Resolution 2705 will end as the government has made the request. What will UN Resolution 2705 be replaced with? Will the UN put pressure on Somalia? I would like to know your thoughts.

This will have no bearing on whether Somalia exits chapter 7 but UN Resolution 2705 will end as the government has made the request. What will UN Resolution 2705 be replaced with? Will the UN put pressure on Somalia? I would like to know your thoughts.
Not sure. I imagine their political office sending letters telling Somalis to remain cool. They won’t be as hands on anymore that’s for sure.

FGS has the right to do this. The government is saying we no longer need assistance in these areas. The UN can't stop them, Somalia's partners probably don't care too much about UNSOM, but that's just a guess. FGS will consolidate power through their political reforms without any observers questioning them. They will turn Somalia into the Congo with widespread violence and human rights violations.

Somalia will still have peace keeping mission under chapter 7 (ATMIS and next mission).

Last edited: