Somali food getting popular amongst non-Somalis. Finally.

Lol our food is top, but these chicks yammin down food in front of the camera lol...what happened to the etiquettes of a noble woman?

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
I'm gonna get a lot of hate here....even my mother told me off for saying this....but there is no such thing as 'Somali food'. Somali food is an amalgamation of cuisines from nearby regions, none of which are uniquely Somali. Pasta from our Italian colonizers, jabati/sambuus from our neighbours across the Indian ocean, meat cuisines from the middle east, and malawax, anjelo came from Ethiopia. What exactly is Somali? The sad truth is throwing a bannana in each meal is what actually makes those said cuisines authentically Somali.

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed about though, we are a nomadic culture, historically our lifestyle and way of life didn't give way to creating elaborate cuisines, we used to eat whatever the plants gave us, be it berries, nuts etc.
An informative, uncomfortable and welcome truth.

:rejoice:

Some people on here talk like Somalis ate sand and walked around naked and foreigners brought us everything we have from food to clothes to buildings.
Sigh...the coonery.

@IPushFatKids, How can it be that the very people who supply livestock to the Middle East, don’t know how to cook and prepare meat themselves. How can it be that people who have been trading salt and spices since at-least the Greek era, wouldn’t know how to season their food. Are you aware Somalis weren’t only nomads but also ... traders, merchants, explorers, theologists/religious scholars, architects, potters, farmers, textile makers, poets, writers, musicians. Basically just like most other groups of people in the world People like you assume Somalis learn everything from others because in your mind we are bottom of the barrel. But it’s far more plausible they learned from us.

I think people often find it hard to believe others are capable of what they themselves are not. Don’t assume every Somali is operating at your level of maangaabnimo

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
I'm gonna get a lot of hate here....even my mother told me off for saying this....but there is no such thing as 'Somali food'. Somali food is an amalgamation of cuisines from nearby regions, none of which are uniquely Somali. Pasta from our Italian colonizers, jabati/sambuus from our neighbours across the Indian ocean, meat cuisines from the middle east, and malawax, anjelo came from Ethiopia. What exactly is Somali? The sad truth is throwing a bannana in each meal is what actually makes those said cuisines authentically Somali.

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed about though, we are a nomadic culture, historically our lifestyle and way of life didn't give way to creating elaborate cuisines, we used to eat whatever the plants gave us, be it berries, nuts etc.
It applies to many countries and they don't shy away from promoting as their own.

Swedish meatballs - a dish introduced by the Turkish Sultan to Swedes.
Italian Pasta - Marco Polo brought from China.
European bread culture/ Pizzas - borrowed from the Middle East
Middle Eastern Shawarma/Kebabs - taken from the Turks.

So, Yeah there is such thing as Somali Cuisine.