Somali etiquettes when visiting relatives homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm X

The price of freedom is death
I admit this is my weak area on Somali culture second to the language.

I don't know if I'm only one but I'm afraid walking out of my assigned room when sleeping at a relative home to toilet or kitchen especially if there's women in the house.

Some female relatives don't greet me either :francis:

I always thought food would be served to you but it doesn't seem to be a normal thing, I sometimes have to go out and get food myself.

I can't be the only one who's having this problem

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
It's so weird being in a Somali relatives house that you don't know as there are women walking around that act all awkward and shiet. Just be yourselves nacalaa.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
Oh yeah, you're on vacation. Saffar Salama

You should check to see if they're in good terms with your immediate family. Sometimes small family tiffs affect the whole family.

Become a second son to the mother of the household and ask to go out to coffee with the father.

As for the girls in the household, I can speak on my own terms. We don't like non-mahram men in the house. It's such a pain having to wear a gabarsar and constantly be covered in your own household. It's a pain not being able to talk to you normally because in doing so it might be considered scandalous. It's a pain having to cook for a man we're not interested in, it's a pain having to give up our rooms just so that the guest can sleep over.

Give up on trying to please the girls in the household- it won't happen unless you're insanely hot. Focus on the brothers and try befriending them.

I admit this is my weak area on Somali culture second to the language.

I don't know if I'm only one but I'm afraid walking out of my assigned room when sleeping at a relative home to toilet or kitchen especially if there's women in the house.

Some female relatives don't greet me either :francis:

I always thought food would be served to you but it doesn't seem to be a normal thing, I sometimes have to go out and get food myself.

I can't be the only one who's having this problem

Before you leave your room, couch to alert the females in the house. You are guess at the home, leave at morning and don't come back expect in night. Bring gifts to them(small things like sweets/fruit). Tidy your room and be clean person. Don't overstay especially if there are females in the home.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
When given food, eat it even if you don't want it. "I'm good" or "I don want it" is not an option. Learn some things about them before going (i.e. someone had surgery or something) so you can have something to talk about and they'll think you have tolnimo. Announce yourself when going upstairs to see someone in their room, this way females can avoid you (f somali culture lol).

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
If they're close relatives then make yourself home. Just announce yourself so no one gets spooked. People like it when you make yourself comfortable in their house (well, my relatives anyway)

I hate when male relatives visit because it's all about having xishood lol even when they around your age. Simple stuff like conversations is taboo. All my male cousins were chilling in a room so I decided to join them and conversate lol my mom was not pleased, gave me this look :birdman: ...... I'm the type of person to start up a conversation with any stranger so I find it boring when you have to act shy and not interested.

@Malcolm X don't idle around the house, make urself known your coming out the room, help around and try some small talk to get to know them.

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
I hate when male relatives visit because it's all about having xishood lol even when they around your age. Simple stuff like conversations is taboo. All my male cousins were chilling in a room so I decided to join them and conversate lol my mom was not pleased, gave me this look :birdman: ...... I'm the type of person to start up a conversation with any stranger so I find it boring when you have to act shy and not interested.

@Malcolm X don't idle around the house, make urself known your coming out the room, help around and try some small talk to get to know them.
I don't have this issue with most of my cousins on my dad's side since we grew up together but in my mom's side it's pretty awkward staying there.

I don't have this issue with most of my cousins on my dad's side since we grew up together but in my mom's side it's pretty awkward staying there.
There should never be issues lol even when you just meet because they're family but I'm guessing because of cultural/ religious reasons things become awkward.

KULTA

f*ck you im from Mudug
when i visited my cousins it was mad chill. I felt like home, man we had fun. And they werent religious so no calaacaling about praying:lawd:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending