Somali Economists Come In Only

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This is Dr Osman attitude so don't be suprised by my wide ranging topics. My mind is so 'large' I love to feed it diverse knowledge(science, economics, state craft, business, military, religion, philosophy) thru discussion and 'growth' only, I am not as interested in 'destructive' discussion.

Let's discuss economy and agree first on the concept. It's defined as 'consumers, markets, businesses, govt holistically). These factors are involved in the economic architecture. My main discussion point wants to revolve around the 'central bank' and it's role in the economy and the instruments used on banks regarding money supply.

I am aware in each given year their will be spending/transactions in the economy and the money supply needs to compliment it(not over or under supply) it.

I am aware the largest spending and transaction will involve 'consumers' spending in the market, government budget spending for it's policy, debt servicing requirement, housing purchase, unemployment levels(greater demand). Anticipated private investment confidence levels or investor low confidence. These areas will need the correct money supply and that makes perfect sense to me.

The area that doesn't make sense to me is the following due to my limitations.

1. Interest rates set by the central bank. Say the central bank sets interest rate of 5%, does that mean all banks will need to pay the central bank back 5% on the principal and therefore will need to set interest rates to the public for loans to 10% and gather up the difference for itself and it's repayments to the central bank?

I read interest rates are determined based on economic conditions(to support growth n loans or to discourage it higher interest rate) and it's a tool to curb inflation, but surely their must be other factors involved to set interest rate. Is it simply to slow down or increase economy? Is the interest rate just a 'common' baseline for all banks to adhere too when giving loans out?

2. What does the central bank do with the interest collected from banks. Store in vaults? assets? mix?

3. What other regulatory functions does a central bank do on private banks?

We need to understand this field even non-economists, even at a 'theme' level and have economists work out the details involved in the theme.

I am big fan of economists who look at the whole market-govt policy-consumers-businesses holistically as a 'eco system' working together and creating 'measurement' variables to measure the economy as a whole each year. I just want u guys to clarify how u know the variables your using are indeed accurate or the margin of error involved?

If u understand macro-economics it will be useful tool for investors to know when to invest and where in the market and when not to do and revert to 'storage defensive investments even tho the growth is low, it's not killing ur wealth either'.

There was 1 good Ogaden economist on here but his no longer here, is there others?

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Watch this thread go silent due to 'lack of knowledge', yet they all want to be 'president' and they all know what somalia needs, why do we only succeed in destruction topics? no wonder their low national pride, wouldn't you. Rarely will u see productivity topics where ppl knowledge grows in difference to 'yesterday value'

The way to hurt Somalis is thru knowledge, trust me, their experts in everything BUT KNOWLEDGE. Their experts were no1 will pay them also like quran or 'appearance', this must be siyad inkaar on us. They invest in perfumes-make up-clothes all 'devaluing' assets, they don't grow in value, u just put ur money in a 'pit of fire'

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
U can measure the following instrumnts to measure construction materials either imports or production value of a sector on anticipated homes n buildings or declines year to year, u can measure the amount of business loans of all banks to anticipate the new businesses, plus mortgages. How they gouge unemployment levels I don't know but this will tell u extra demand.

Govt spending for the year and debt servicing is pretty accurate due to the yearly budget on investment/debt servicing ratio.

Investor confidence u cud use the 'stock market' buying/selling rate for the year. Then u wud need to work out 'averaging' formula between all the instrument results to get a macro-economic 'value of growth or decline' and this will feed the central bank on it's supply n interest rate.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Thegoodshepherd was right we need a corporate structure, balance sheet(expenses, debt, capital), business laws, before any investor will invest in any company.

I noticed most Somali companies are 'single' owned lol, this means 'all the profits but all the losses' plus expansion is unlikely due to no banking loans or sharemarket, where-as public listed companies with shareholders(loss is spread, reward is shared). We can't even begin a stock exchange and list successful companies for all Somalis to invest in so it can begin 'rapid expansion' locally-regionally-globally. It won't happen.

I can see why lots of companies prefer the stock market now rather then just getting a 'loan' to expand, the 'losses are spread but rewards are shared' that's why.

Last edited: