Somali dialects/accent map. Which one do you speak?

Som

VIP
According to this map this is the dialect/accent distribution in Somalia.
I think this is a bit wrong especially when it comes to Galgaduud and Mudug.
Central Hawiyes (mainly HG but also Murusade in Galgaduud) don't have the same accent as Hawiyes in shabeelaha , Hawiyes in central regions have an accent which is halfway between benadir and northern, in some cases it's sounds more northern(like reer mudug). You can clearly distinguish an abgaal from shabelaha from a HG from galgaduud from their accents
In my opinion there are 6 main somali macro accents in somalia. They have differences within themselves but they should be their own group.
1)pure northern accent spoken in Somaliland and western puntland. This is tricky cause there are many difference betwen eastern SL and western SL, but i feel like we can group them together.
2) pure central accent spoken by darood in mudug and Galgaduud and also by some hawiyes mainly HG.
3) south central accent spoken from El Buur to southern Galgaduud and some parts of hiraan. It sounds like reer mudug mixed with a slight southern sound, spoken mainly by HG, Murusade and mudug/galgaduud Abgaals
4) pure southern accent spoken by ethnic somalis in the south mainly abgaal and southern hawiye clans. You can find this accent in Mogadishu, Shabeelaha and Jubbooyinka.
5) southern accent type 2 , it's spoken by benadiris (cadcads but also bantus and other minorities) it's different from the southern accent spoken by ethnic somalis. This accent can be found in Mogadishu, Merka, Barawe and is also spoken by ethnic somalis who live in contact with benadiris.
6) southern darood accent, spoken by daroods in the south (mainly marexaan) it shares similarities with central accents but has a slight southern influence
7)? These are the main accents of somalia. I think Ogadenia is northern/central depending on which part we consider, I have zero idea of how to classify NFD accents so maybe you can help me. I doubt they sound like central-northern Somalis in Nfd
News, Tv and official media use a central northern accent. I believe the standard dialect is based on the af somali spoken between garowe to Dhuusamareeb . If you listen siad barre era radio speakers they sound very standard.

Ps: i did not include Af-Maay because it's a separate language realated to somali. These are the main maxaa tiri accents/dialects.
JJB0QIx.png

Som

VIP
My somali is a mixture of 1 and 4
This very common for people who have one Northern parent and one southern parent.
It's also very common among those who are originally from the north but grew up in Mogadishu before 1991

Apollo

VIP
@Som

The nomadic NFDers sound like Darods mostly, excluding the Garre in NFD who have their own dialect.

Only some of those urbanized ones (mainly in Nairobi) who use a lot of Swahili loanwords and Kenyan slang sound kind of different. I think that map is mostly correct with that caveat in mind.

Also, that wikipedia map maker provided a secondary map dividing up nomadic Maxa Tiri groups into sub-dialects:

729px-Northern_Somali_Dialects.png

^ But I feel like that map ignores a lot of sub-diversity.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Non, my accent is neutral as one of my friend said, it consists a mixed of vocabulary from south and north. And the way I speak and construct sentence are neutral. But as my friend said, any Somali that lived in Somalia can tell that I'm a diaspora Somali, from the way I speak.

Som

VIP
Non, my accent is neutral as one of my friend said, it consists a mixed of vocabulary from south and north. And the way I speak and construct sentence are neutral. But as my friend said, any Somali that lived in Somalia can tell that I'm a diaspora Somali, from the way I speak.
Yes, most diaspora people have parents who were born or raised in Mogadishu and come from different parts of the country like SL or PL.
The darood diaspora who escaped from Xamar in the 1990s tend to have a neutral accent

Apollo

VIP

I have noticed that diaspora raised Somalis have no strong single dialect leaning accent. Except in the case of Sland kids where I can tell. But I can't really tell from the others who were born and raised in the West..

Som

VIP
@Som

The nomadic NFDers sound like Darods mostly, excluding the Garre in NFD who have their own dialect.

Only some of those urbanized ones (mainly in Nairobi) who use a lot of Swahili loanwords and Kenyan slang sound kind of different. I think that map is mostly correct with that caveat in mind.

Also, that wikipedia map maker provided a secondary map dividing up nomadic Maxa Tiri groups into sub-dialects:

729px-Northern_Somali_Dialects.png

^ But I feel like that map ignores a lot of sub-diversity.
Yes. I think it's wrong to divide dialects according to clans.
For example Dhulbahante in Las Anod sound closer reer Hargeysa and you can clearly notice that their accent is different from reer Mudug.
Many cities in somalia are mixed. In Galkacyo HG and MJ speak the same dialect, same thing for Isaaq and darood subclans in Ceerigaabo or other places

Som

VIP
I have noticed that diaspora raised Somalis have no strong single dialect leaning accent. Except in the case of Sland kids where I can tell. But I can't really tell from the others who were born and raised in the West..
I guess that diaspora kids tend to be more "mixed". There are plenty if diaspora kids who are Isaaq+HG, abgaal + majerteen or something like that.

Apollo

VIP
I guess that diaspora kids tend to be more "mixed". There are plenty if diaspora kids who are Isaaq+HG, abgaal + majerteen or something like that.

:lol: I was using kids colloquially. I meant young adults (many over 20s now exist who were born in the West). Most in that age bracket still tend to have parents from the same clans or region. Only with the really young ones (sub-10) does bi-clan/bi-regional parents become more common.

GemState

36/21
VIP
I have a Mudug/Xamar dialect, so 3 in your list

Btw, that map is complete nonsense, someone from Galkacyo and someone from Hargeisa don't have the same dialect at all

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
1. But that doesn't make sense because I sound nothing like SLers and sometimes (rarely) don't understand the few with a strong accent. I don't understand my friend's isaaq mother. I just nod along and guess what she means while auto correcting in my head. His dad is also Isaaq, but I understand him very clearly.

There are three major accent categories.

1.Dhulo-isaaq-samaron-absame

2.ciise madoobe-Leylkase-marexan-majerten-warsangeli-dishish(i notice that ciise dont say adhi but ari, oron instead of odhon and speak like baha majerten. They also say boowe. Makes sense since baha majeerten had a Ciise mother )

3.Hawiye

You'll find some subclans of each speaking other accents but majority are as such.

Trending

Latest posts