Somali calendar new year/season

These people appear to be celebrating a new season. Is the timing of this celebration based on an indigenous calendar? Anyone who knows about joogtooy, Waaqbiyo or Kalamooy or the calendar tell us more. How was this season celebration compared to last and how did this indigenous system survive cultural Arabization, colonialism, communism, civil war etc

They're Bantus Somali Nationals, not ethnic Somalis.

I heard the ones in the Jubbas speak a Tanzanian language, can't remember what it's called right now. I would also assume they retained their indigenous customs and celebrations.
There's no Tanzanian language as they speak Swahili similar to Kenya

These people appear to be celebrating a new season. Is the timing of this celebration based on an indigenous calendar? Anyone who knows about joogtooy, Waaqbiyo or Kalamooy or the calendar tell us more. How was this season celebration compared to last and how did this indigenous system survive cultural Arabization, colonialism, communism, civil war etc
Those are Bantu farmers celebrating what appears to be new season for harvesting

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
They're Bantus Somali Nationals, not ethnic Somalis.

I heard the ones in the Jubbas speak a Tanzanian language, can't remember what it's called right now. I would also assume they retained their indigenous customs and celebrations.
The Banjunis, they speak Kibajuni and Swahili

Are we sure Biyowaaq are not assimilated into Somali clan structure? I also thought they spoke af-Maxaa tidhi and are they of Bantu or NiloSaharan speaker ancestry

@Factz what is the origin of the Joogtoy dance and the new season festival in the video

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Are we sure Biyowaaq are not assimilated into Somali clan structure? I also thought they spoke af-Maxaa tidhi and are they of Bantu or NiloSaharan speaker ancestry

@Factz what is the origin of the Joogtoy dance and the new season festival in the video

From my understanding there are different Bantu groups in Somalia, there are the ones in Hiiraan who appeared to have adopted Somali cultural traits and clan structures. The ones who came most recently to work in the Jubbas as Italian subjects etc- these ones still speak their original language. I think there are other types of Bantus also.

That's why the UN repatriated a number of Bantus back to Tanzania after the civil war and they were happy to go back to their original homeland.

Trending