Somali BLM girl to ORGANIZE Black graduation ceremony (SEPARATE FROM OTHER RACES) to inspire Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
its clear from your posts that your whole perception of somalis is based on somalispot. where do somalis bootyclap whites. we dislike them even more than other blacks. do you even interact with somalis in real life.

Of course I do. Interact with Somalis that is. Then babe tell me why Somalis have such anti-black attitudes if that's the case. Don't act like you don't see all the hate towards other madows. Isn't saying we are Caucasian begging whites? I have never been Caucasian not a day in my life. Even mixed race (half white half black ) claim to be black but us Somalis who are more black than those half white peoples... it's an insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black

live and let die.
Of course I do. Interact with Somalis that is. Then babe tell me why Somalis have such anti-black attitudes if that's the case. Don't act like you don't see all the hate towards other madows. Isn't saying we are Caucasian begging whites? I have never been Caucasian not a day in my life. Even mixed race (half white half black ) claim to be black but us Somalis who are more black than those half white peoples... it's an insult.

On a serious note, you're really naive if you think the same level of dislike isn't reciprocated. The reality is, Somalis and Blacks get along fine for the most part in the real world. Other black people do not view us in the same way the view themselves, and understandably so. It's very cringy to see Somalis bootyclap for Africans, when they almost unanimously consider Somalis (among a few others) not part of the inner circle. Hang around Black circles long enough, and you'll see it's not really pro-Black, but pro-West African. Obviously this doesn't justify any racism whatsoever, but take this forum with a large grain of salt. Be honest, when is the last time you've seen Somalis overtly display racism? And no, calling cadey, timo jilec etc. is NOT racism.

i doubt you do because you would know that we look down on white/asians/blacks. its rooted in somali kibir iyo islaweyni so i will leave it at that. what about the racism and hate directed at ethiopians and arabs on here, or even the hardcore tribalism. and why are you falling for the we wuz caucasian n we iz dipped in chocolate memes.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
They "We Wuz Kangz" crew force you to wear a brightly coloured Dashiki and a Rasta cap.

Is Macaawiis and Guntiino not good enough?

:heh:

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP

I would find it insulting if someone referred to me as black cause they're denying me my heritage culture religion people country history legacy civilisation.

As for Somalis hating blacks more than whites I say you don't know much Somalis in real life cause Somalis treat both whites, blacks, Asian..the same as an outsider they refer to them as ajnabi meaning none Somali.

This is the problem right here. On what earth?

Genetically and linguistically speaking we are more closer to Arabs than Congolese people. Even our cultures have some similarities. Plus the two major Somali clans are of Arab descent.

“I think it was important for us to recognize, ‘You survived it. You made it through a system that is often not meant for students like us. You made it to the finish line."

I totally agree with this, but its stupid to seperate yourself from others, isnt that racism but in like a reverse way?

Gambar

VIP
Let me guess you were in life science. :umad:

I went to Ryerson. The scholarship money was too good to refuse :wow1:
Health science. I got a full scholarship too, I wanted to get the hell out of Toronto. I would've died if I went to Ryerson.:mjlol: Habbo Edna Aden (wanted to call her ayeyo) helped me get into my masters program after I volunteered with her for a year.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
University of Toronto gets ready for first-ever Black graduation ceremony

photo-ci-blackgrads.jpg.size.custom.crop.800x533.jpg

By ANDREA GORDON
Education Reporter
Mon., June 19, 2017

University of Toronto student Nasma Ahmed was on an internship in California a couple of years ago when a friend invited her to a special college event.

It was held at U.C. Davis and the occasion was something Ahmed had never heard of — a celebration honouring African-American graduating students.

“I remember walking into the space and thinking, ‘what in the world is this?’ ” recalls Ahmed, 21. “I didn’t even know this was a thing.”

Two years later, Ahmed is making it “a thing” at U of T, which on Thursday evening will hold its first-ever Black graduation, believed to be the only one in Canada.

The occasion, expected to attract 100 graduates from all three campuses in downtown Toronto, Scarborough and Mississauga, along with their families and friends, will fall on the last day of a grad season boasting 27 convocations at the country’s largest university. Students in the spotlight will include those who have just completed undergraduate, Master’s or PhD programs.

“We’re hoping this event will inspire other Black students,” says Ahmed, who is graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in public policy and city studies at the Scarborough campus and will attend her official convocation Monday.

Organizers also want to let undergrads and Black high school kids know that “we’re here and there is a community here, and you can be supported throughout your years at U of T.”

In hosting the event, U of T is following in the footsteps of a number of U.S. colleges. In May, Harvard University in Boston held its first commencement for Black students.

Last October as she pondered her final year, Ahmed mused about the idea. By February she had joined forces with fellow student Jessica Kirk to turn it into reality.

The two co-organizers wrote up a proposal and pitched the university administration in February.

U of T was quickly on board and contributed funding, says Kelly Hannah-Moffat, vice-president of human resources and equity, who stresses the event is completely student driven.

“I think the initiative being shown by these students is commendable,” she says.

The number of Black students on campus has been historically small compared with the diverse city that surrounds it.

But Hannah-Moffat says the event will send the message “that University of Toronto is a place for Black students to come and study at the undergraduate level and the graduate level and potentially as post-docs, (which) creates a pipeline for faculty and staff.”

Kirk, 23, who is graduating with a Bachelor of Science in psychology, says she’s excited at the opportunity to increase visibility for Black students.

At university, “it’s very difficult to find people who not only look like you but are going through the same type of experience,” says Kirk, who begins a Master’s program at U of T’s Ontario Institute for Studies in Education next fall.

“The higher up you climb, the harder it is to find yourself reflected in those academic spheres.”

It’s a sentiment that Anthony Briggs, 34, shares after four schools and years of classes that just culminated in a PhD from OISE. Briggs, whose heritage is Caribbean, was raised by his dad in Brampton and is the first in his family to earn a post-secondary degree. He was one of a handful of Black students to receive his doctorate at his OISE convocation last week and is looking forward to celebrating again Thursday.

He said marking the group’s achievements is positive “because we’re not celebrated.”

But Briggs added it’s also critical to focus on changing the pathway for Black students who enroll but don’t finish university, by finding out why and addressing the hurdles.

Kirk and Ahmed say the event is part of a bigger strategy needed to support Black students every step of the way through measures like scholarships and transitional programs.

Kirk calls it “an entry point” to addressing discrimination and such systemic barriers as the lack of mental health services that are sensitive to the needs of Black students, financial challenges and the lack of Black faculty and curriculum that includes a Black perspective.

“Black students, alongside Indigenous students and other marginalized communities are often pushed out of the educational system at a very young age,” adds Ahmed.

“I think it was important for us to recognize, ‘You survived it. You made it through a system that is often not meant for students like us. You made it to the finish line.’ ”
Boosting the ranks of Black students has been a longtime challenge for universities, particularly in such faculties as medicine, which at U of T this year included only one first-year student who identified as Black.

Dismayed that students of African or Caribbean heritage have consistently hovered at only 1 to 2 per cent of each class, the faculty has announced a new application process aimed at encouraging more applicants, which will be in effect for the 2018-19 school year.

While they will be subject to the same rigorous academic requirements, there will be changes in the process, including more Black representation on interview panels.

One of the biggest challenges for Ahmed and Kirk was estimating the number of graduates their celebration would attract, because race statistics aren’t tracked.

Last year, U of T became the first Canadian university to commit to a voluntary student census that would provide race-based data, but it’s still a year or two away.

The Thursday fete will feature speakers, student awards for contributions to research, community service, leadership and athletics, and recognition of all graduating students.

Whitby obstetrician Dr. Jean-Placide Rubabaza welcomes the chance to celebrate Black students in higher education.

“I think it’s a great idea,” says Rubabaza, president of the Black Physicians’ Association of Ontario, which has recently focused on mentoring youth who want to pursue medicine.

Their barriers are not ability or intellect, he says, but a result of unequal access to the application process, funding, or a network of people to guide, share experience and help navigate the system.

The impact of measures like mentoring is already showing results, says Rubabaza. He says 24 Black students are expected to enter first-year medicine programs at Ontario universities this fall, up from four in 2016.

News of the graduation was also greeted with enthusiasm by Warren Salmon, president of the Ontario Alliance of Black School Educators, who said he hopes it will inspire more youth to apply and stick with school.

“They need to see positive role models and see peers and (older) people who’ve been successful,” says Salmon.
these libs are too much

paramedic

Call me ayeeyo
Walaal I'm not saying we are lowering ourselves to what the Cadaans see us as. Firstly saying "lowering" is rude because we aren't above Bantu Africans. No one is above anyone but everyone thinks hey are and that's the problem. I was trying to make the point that while we bootylick whites they see us (and Bantu african people) as scum. While not all white people do of course. So for Somalis to then treat bantu people the way that whites treat us and then proudly claim Caucasian is just sad.

On another note, do you have to be Bantu to help the Bantu? Is it then begging to be Bantu? We are all African brothers and sisters. And the Africans will always be closer to the Somalis than the caucasians... so let's help each other.

1) My intention was not to insult the Bantus nor the blacks, I was talking about how they are perceived in society.

2) I will N E V E R consider myself cadaan. The day I align myself with sister loving parasites who know only to pillage and massacre will be the day I have lost who I am as a Somali.

3) I was pro Pan Africa until I read up on what Ethiopia and Kenya are doing to our blood in Somalia. Why we gotta bootyclap for them here when theyre killing us back home. Although I will say how we treat Bantus and other minorities is appalling.

I know how you feel sis but until we Africans stop hurting each other there's no hope for unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts