Somali Bantu takes a DNA test and is almost 40% Somali

Doesn't suprise me. Many Somali Bantus have a bit of a Somali look to them. They still look very different though. But its different to our neighboring bantus at times.

Doesn't suprise me. Many Somali Bantus have a bit of a Somali look to them. They still look very different though. But its different to our neighboring bantus at times.

It’s not surprising, but it’s definitely interesting. She is more Somali ethnically than Bantu. The Bantus in the comments say it is proof that they are indigenous to the land. Do you think her results are what most results would be or an outlier?

It’s not surprising, but it’s definitely interesting. She is more Somali ethnically than Bantu. The Bantus in the comments say it is proof that they are indigenous to the land. Do you think her results are what most results would be or an outlier?

No.

She doesn't even look Somali bantu. Its obvious she has very high HOA admixture just from looking at her. She can actually pass for an ethnic Somali, whilst the majority cannot.

Most Somali Bantus look like Bantus with maybe slighter softer features as they may have mixed with Reer Xamars.

Saying they're indigenous is delusional. I believe they are just as Somali as we are, as many have been in Somalia for generations. But we can't escape the facts. The fact that they are not indigenous shouldn't even matter, who cares, the past is past. They should embrace their origins and embrace their Somalinimo with pride as well!

Last edited:

Mozart

You need people like me
If you don’t tell someone where she’s from, they would guess half Somali. Some of them have clearly mixed with Southern Somali tribes. But not all look like she does.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

I think she's mixed with cad cad judging by the trace amounts of South Asian and West Asian. Plus they have a bit of Somali admixture as well.

I think she's mixed with cad cad judging by the trace amounts of South Asian and West Asian. Plus they have Somali admixture as well.

Thats very possible I’ve met “cad cad” Somalis who almost look Bantu themselves, but they have siblings who look Arab. There is definitely a lot of mixing in Somalia, which is why discrimination is so bizarre, considering how long we have lived amongst each other

alien

📍outer space
VIP
she is mixed. She has southern Somali ancestors. The non African is from the benadiri. Too bad she didn't give her haplogroup

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Thats very possible I’ve met “cad cad” Somalis who almost look Bantu themselves, but they have siblings who look Arab. There is definitely a lot of mixing in Somalia, which is why discrimination is so bizarre, considering how long we have lived amongst each other

Well I think discrimination in the Somalia was and is still real. Evidenced by lack of representation with marginal to no political influence of minorities. I think a lot of ethnic Somalis in the South self-segregated (hence them being entirely Somali). However some segment mixed to a lesser extent. I always notice they always get a higher % of Ethiopian and Eriterian than full Somalis.

i was reading the comments and this somali Bantu guy said it’s not correct to use that term (Somali Bantu) bc it was made up during the civil war, he uses jaree-r instead..im confused bc i thought j word was a made up word ? and you can’t search stuff like this up bc there’s never any credible sources

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
i was reading the comments and this somali Bantu guy said it’s not correct to use that term (Somali Bantu) bc it was made up during the civil war, he uses jaree-r instead..im confused bc i thought j word was a made up word ? and you can’t search stuff like this up bc there’s never any credible sources

Its true. The UN coined the term.

Well I think discrimination in the Somalia was and is still real. Evidenced by lack of representation with marginal to no political influence of minorities. I think a lot of ethnic Somalis in the South self-segregated (hence them being entirely Somali). However some segment mixed to a lesser extent. I always notice they always get a higher % of Ethiopian and Eriterian than full Somalis.

Pre-civil war, it was incredibly rare for Somali bantus to marry from the main major tribes. However, Reer Xamars would often mix with ethnic Somalis and Bantus. I believe Bantus have got majority of their Somali DNA from Reer Xamars or even very small ethnic clans. Its very common common to see Reer Xamars with Somali mothers and grandmothers.

Pre-civil war, it was incredibly rare for Somali bantus to marry from the main major tribes. However, Reer Xamars would often mix with ethnic Somalis and Bantus. I believe Bantus have got majority of their Somali DNA from Reer Xamars. Its very common common to see Reer Xamars with Somali mothers and grandmothers.
You see more Somali Bantu kids nowadays due to the raping in the civil war

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Pre-civil war, it was incredibly rare for Somali bantus to marry from the main major tribes. However, Reer Xamars would often mix with ethnic Somalis and Bantus. I believe Bantus have got majority of their Somali DNA from Reer Xamars. Its very common common to see Reer Xamars with Somali mothers and grandmothers.

That's what I was thinking. Reer Xamars did not have a stigma of marrying from them unlike ethnic Somalis.

Somali bantus are definitely different then the bantus from other countries. I have only encountered them on social media, but I could still traces of ethnic somali in them. Will be fascinating to see when they make large scale dna survey.

Trending