socially awkward

i grew up with a single disabled mom and she raised me so well compare to other minneapolis kids habaryars teachers even strangers praise my mom for how smart and well behaved i am and how she raised me alone in the west in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in america if u live in minnesota u know exactly where i live right infront of the 24 mall behind me is the childrens emergency room 2 somali men killed each other infront of my house 2 months ago i was taught stranger danger since i could speak

but im 16 forget about driving a car im still not allowed to go out alone make friends outside my house i go to a catholic private school my mom was sick the other day and she asked my to get baby spinich from aldi i never walk outside alone i was so scared to even swipe the card talking to stranger is my biggest fear i cant even talk to someone on the phone properly

i really liked online school while it lasted i could talk freely without being scared of classmate all staring at me for once

now that im thinking about my future i really wish my mom hadnt kept me hidden my whole tho ik it was for my safety but how am i gonna go to college get a job when i cant even ask the mcdonald staff for a straw

and to all the people in this forum does anyone else experience this how did u get past it and do u think my social skills is a me problem or a result of how i was raised

CryptoSomali

DAAGAAL
Sounds like a bad case of social anxiety, the only way to overcome this is through exposure therapy. Keep putting yourself in situations where you have to interact with people and you’ll overcome this anxiety eventually.

For example, if you keep going to the store to buy things for your mom you’ll get over the fear of swiping cards. Same thing with walking outside alone, talking on the phone and interacting with people in real life. You’re training your brain not to view these things as hostile

It gets better

Mozart

You need people like me
It’s a you problem rather than how you were raised. You’ve been at school for 10 years with kids your age so it’s not like you haven’t interacted with anyone.

I would guess there’s something you feel self-conscious about that makes you think everyone is judging you. Reality is it’s all in your head.

It’s a you problem rather than how you were raised. You’ve been at school for 10 years with kids your age so it’s not like you haven’t interacted with anyone.

I would guess there’s something you feel self-conscious about that makes you think everyone is judging you. Reality is it’s all in your head.
ive been told its just hard to except it to myself

Sounds like a bad case of social anxiety, the only way to overcome this is through exposure therapy. Keep putting yourself in situations where you have to interact with people and you’ll overcome this anxiety eventually.

For example, if you keep going to the store to buy things for your mom you’ll get over the fear of swiping cards. Same thing with walking outside alone, talking on the phone and interacting with people in real life. You’re training your brain not to view these things as hostile

It gets better
i'll try i just dont like talking to strangers i have a tight knit friend group and when comfortable i am the loudest one

Its social anxiety, you need to visit a therapist asap. If you don't treat your anxiety its gonna eat you forever. Also you're still 16 you haven't missed out on anything so don't even worry about that LOL but if you don't treat something as bad as social anxiety, you're going to miss out later on. Talking to strangers shouldn't be as hard as you're making it out to be so it definitely could be social anxiety, it's a disorder and it should be treated like one.

Do 1 thing everyday that forces you to talk, go to a store and ask where something is even if your not buying, call up a place for some more info...etc. Once school starts join an extracurricular activity, tell hoyo you need it for college. Get a summer job if you can. You might be a naturally quiet person but with more practice you won't be fearing everyday tasks.

Last edited:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
You must get out of the house more often I suggest getting a part time job in customer service. After seeing alot of people everyday youll overcome the anxiety.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
i grew up with a single disabled mom and she raised me so well compare to other minneapolis kids habaryars teachers even strangers praise my mom for how smart and well behaved i am and how she raised me alone in the west in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in america if u live in minnesota u know exactly where i live right infront of the 24 mall behind me is the childrens emergency room 2 somali men killed each other infront of my house 2 months ago i was taught stranger danger since i could speak

but im 16 forget about driving a car im still not allowed to go out alone make friends outside my house i go to a catholic private school my mom was sick the other day and she asked my to get baby spinich from aldi i never walk outside alone i was so scared to even swipe the card talking to stranger is my biggest fear i cant even talk to someone on the phone properly

i really liked online school while it lasted i could talk freely without being scared of classmate all staring at me for once

now that im thinking about my future i really wish my mom hadnt kept me hidden my whole tho ik it was for my safety but how am i gonna go to college get a job when i cant even ask the mcdonald staff for a straw

and to all the people in this forum does anyone else experience this how did u get past it and do u think my social skills is a me problem or a result of how i was raised

1620825222123.png

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP

Did you consider getting out of comfort zones whenever outside and doing tasks that may cause you to not want to repeat.

You still have the time of the world to go outside and interact , if left untreated it can develop to serious severe underlying issues.

I went through similar unprecedented problems when I was at your age , where I wanted to completely to disconnect from this mediocre world and avoid people and live in the jungle , but that was illogical , farfetched and impossible since I lived in a dense area , worked in a Spaza where you encounter hundreds of people , with different personalities and with crazy violent tendencies
lol
So these intrusive thoughts kept me hyperventilating that I would never ever wake up again , anxieties and depression would come and go it consumed me mentally , It hindered my academic and work performance.
I was drowning with negative thinking , negative retrospect , but overcame these obstacles meaning to get rid of these shitty negative thoughts clouded in my head and the perception embedding my thought process , I just had to say f*ck All and continue with my life .

I left that environment and I don't suffer from it anymore.

You don't need to block it out by coping with drugs or counter prescriptions , you need to encounter them , get out of your comfort zone even if your heart is pumping or skipping a beat , you need to take the steering wheel of your problems.

These fragilities will fall like dominoes one by one.

I went through this process a few years ago. I was quite a shy young kid, I could barely talk to anyone apart from family or close friends. I was quite similar as I could never ask strangers for anything like shop owners or McDonalds workers like you said. The key bit of being socially awkward is that only you can fix it. I slowly built up being sociable through forcing myself to speak for things and quite simply growing up. I realized that me at 15 , was less socially awkward as I had simply grown up. I understand where you are coming from with parents especially Somali ones being overprotective but she simply wants the best for you and keeping you indoors especially if the stuff you pointed out happens regularly seems like the best decision. Inshallah, sister you will find your way and remember there is no miracle in changing your social awkwardness, only you and you alone can change so it.

Keep practicing socializing hun and you'll eventually grow out of it.
Teenage years are some of the most socially awkward years for most people.

Once you go to college, it will become easier to make friends and socialize.

Trending