So this girl speaks basic dutch after 20 years living in Holland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/41hl1z/muslim_women_in_the_uk_must_integrate_and_speak/

I was reading this on reddit until I stumbled on this

Zijndarling 536 points 1 day ago*

I'm an American immigrant in the Netherlands. I took a language course with a Muslim Somalian girl who had been born in The Netherlands. After having lived there for over 20 years, neither her, her sisters, or her mother could speak Dutchflunetly- her mother not at all. My classmate often had to leave school just so she could help her mother navigate society only slightly better than she could herself.

What's worse? Because they were from Somalia, their entire family was given free language courses. Those same courses cost me €9,000. Not to mention having priority housing too, despite having lived safely in the Netherlands for 20 years.

IME, you only ever see Muslim women with other Muslim women because they literally can't communicate with anyone outside of their small community.

[–]Mojo_666 234 points 1 day ago

That is absolutly insane, what the hell is going on when you are born in a country and don't even learn the language?

permalinkparent

[–]Zijndarling 229 points 1 day ago

Let me put it this way... I was living here for a year and had only done my own studying before joining the course, and we were both in the same proficiency level. She was also the only girl in her family to get lessons so her mom and sisters were still pretty helpless- she only did it because she decided she wanted to work and not stay at home.

You don't have to integrate if you just stay in your small community. The men go to work. The children go to migrant/Muslim scools. The women stay home. When the children get old enough, the boys go to the next level of education, the girls stay home. I taught English at a college for a bit and only one of my students was Muslim and could speak Dutch/English. All the other Muslim women would go to another school where literally only Muslim women attended. how can you grow if you never challenge yourself or acknowledge other perspectives? They may have just enough language to check out at a grocery store but they definitely can't excel in society with such little Dutch.

permalinkparent

[–]methmobile 280 points 1 day ago*

The children go to migrant/Muslim schools.

I think you found the problem.

permalinkparent

[–]Zijndarling 149 points 1 day ago

Exactly. And that's just part of it. The families all stick together. It is extremely rare to see a Muslim with anyone that also isn't Muslim. The same girl I wrote about even complained about this. She smoked cigarettes and even though she was an adult, she always had to hide smoking. Because the Muslim community is so tight-nit, any Muslim in town who saw her smoking would know exactly who she is and what family she belonged to. And it'd tarnish her family name.

But this is the same issue with a lot of minority communities. They stay together in their own neighborhoods, shun outsiders, leaving the community is looked down upon, and they don't trust the majority which leads to them not reporting criminals in their community and using community justice instead. Be it crime, not integrating, etc. it's usually the same cause- refusing to grow by learning.

permalinkparent

[–]witlessmaester 19 points 1 day ago

Yeah, Somalis are like that. Almost everyone knows each other, or knows of each other. But what I don't get is how these schools are operating. Doesn't the Dutch government enforce language rules in private schools? I'm a Canadian Muslim, so seeing a language barrier due to schooling is a bit of a surprise for me.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Interesting. I'm guessing this chick that's been spoken about is in her 20's maybe 30's? If she is, she should be ashamed of herself. How can you be in a country for 20 years and not speak the language? :damn:How the hell do you get around? Beg people to translate shit for you?:snoop:You don't have to be aorund ajnabi's if you don't like but got damn it learn the language for your own good.

I don't buy into that bullshit. There's no way a Somali who lived their life in Eurotrash would not know how to speak the native language. Somali kids don't even speak somali among themselves

Q

Queen Carawelo

I don't know what to say about the girl and her siblings but their mother probably never went to school back in Africa. Sadly when some people hit 40 their mind can't learn new things. Either way I doubt a young person who lived in a country for 20 years don't know the language!

here in Sweden i see Somali people been here 5-10 years can't speak Swedish i have been in Sweden for 2 and half years now men jag kan prata svenska

Zuleikha

There is no way I'm gonna believe that bullshit lmao. Are you telling me the girl has been going a to school since the age of 5 and she can't speak the language fluently and attends language classes. Either the American woman is lying or the girl is a new to the country.

Mercury

VIP
here in Sweden i see Somali people been here 5-10 years can't speak Swedish i have been in Sweden for 2 and half years now men jag kan prata svenska

Svenska är enkelt att lära sig speciellt om man försöker så gott man kan så är det inga problem att lära sig

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
White people lie, especially online. Most somalis in holland are housed far away from each other in very Dutch areas. Even the habros bike everywhere.

Dutch somalis not only speak Dutch but are fluent in English, thats including more recent arrivals. Forget a girl who was born there. :rolleyes:

Mercury

VIP
There is no way I'm gonna believe that bullshit lmao. Are you telling me the girl has been going a to school since the age of 5 and she can't speak the language fluently and attends language classes. Either the American woman is lying or the girl is a new to the country.

Well she did go to a Muslim school so she probably didnt need to speak Dutch around her peers

Ive seen muslim schools in Sweden and from my experience those kids speak their native tongue in class more than swedish

Mercury

VIP
White people lie, especially online. Most somalis in holland are housed far away from each other in very Dutch areas. Even the habros bike everywhere.

Dutch somalis not only speak Dutch but are fluent in English, thats including more recent arrivals. Forget a girl who was born there. :rolleyes:

I find it funny when people tell me how come your english is fluent when you live in Sweden lol

Thatsomaligirl

Loves milk is lactose intolerant, kill me
Of course the redditors in r/worldnews will jump on any occasion to hate on Muslims nothing new there , you should see r/european created because r/europe wasn't racist enough.:diddyswag:

simulacrum

Neo-Darwinist
We all know women are better at communicating than us men. Even people with a learning disability speak a language just fine.
So how the hell did this happen to this girl, if it's even true? Muslim schools are obligated to teach their materials in Dutch, otherwise they won't get the proper funding from the government so that's not the problem for her inability to speak the language fluently. Either she didn't go to school at all (which I think is highly unlikely because school is mandatory) or the guy is completely and utterly lying. I'd say the latter.

Apollo

VIP
Sounds like bullshit to me.

Since the Middle Eastern refugee crisis hit Europe in 2015 there has been a rise in xenophobia online at places like reddit. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

Nabeel786

Southie pride

^^Look whose talking. bwahaha,..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts