So Apparently Camels where first domesticated in Somalia

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Somalia’s have been breeding and domesticating camels for millenniums for sure.

We don’t have the most camels in the world out of luck. The camel population in somaliweyn is possibly the most landheer qabiil there is, or tied with daroods.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Of the world's estimated 14 million camels, Somalia, a country of some 10 million people, has more than seven million - the highest number in the world.

More than half of all camels in the world are predicted to be in somalia.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Are Somali’s adept in Camel riding ?
Yes, We’re one of the few people who had a camel cavalry.

Including arabians and Indians. Using Camels in war as they were better steeds on deserts than horses.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Are Somali’s adept in Camel riding ?
478B81C0-DBE1-4263-92FE-8F766F2D30CA.jpeg

Somaliland Camel Corps

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Do our people still retain this skill in modern times
No, it’s a skill you learn. Not something you pass down.

Or else every mongolian would be able to ride a horse from birth. We use camels as livestock, and transportation.

Transportation for luggage and stuff, I don’t think they actually ride and steer it. At most they’ll put the elderly and young on top of a camel on the caravan and a geeljire leads the leading camel of the caravan.

Here’s where the word “Hogaamiye” comes from. Hogaamiye means leader and it was first used to address the camel that lead the caravan, and “Hogaan” is the lead or leash that the geeljire used to lead the hogaamiye.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
No, it’s a skill you learn. Not something you pass down.

Or else every mongolian would be able to ride a horse from birth. We use camels as livestock, and transportation.

Transportation for luggage and stuff, I don’t think they actually ride and steer it. At most they’ll put the elderly and young on top of a camel on the caravan and a geeljire leads the leading camel of the caravan.

Here’s where the word “Hogaamiye” comes from. Hogaamiye means leader and it was first used to address the camel that lead the caravan, and “Hogaan” is the lead or leash that the geeljire used to lead the hogaamiye.

Here’s what I mean^^^

In almost every case there’s someone who holds the leading camel on a leash, you’ll almost never see them steering a camel like they do with horses.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
:wow: Geeljire culture, I remember reading somewhere that we got like 40 somethin words for camel in Somali.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
:wow: Geeljire culture, I remember reading somewhere that we got like 40 somethin words for camel in Somali.
I remember learning in Anthropology that you can find out a lot about a culture just by studying its language and the type of words it has. There are hundreds of different ways to say drunk in the english language for example.

or how there’s no such thing as the word “book” in somali :browtf:

Like I remember there was some obscure thing like how there’s no such word for “rape” or something in this one country and how rape was almost never addressed. Only recently did they have to adopt the word from a neighbouring country or something,

Like how we have the word “buug” (book) :browtf:

it was very interesting all in all. Which is why you can consider some languages more “advanced” than others, Id say english is the most advanced language there is to date.

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
I’ve always wondered why camels are so associated with Arabia when you can find many camels outside of Arabia, many can even be found in Mongolia

Here’s what I mean^^^

In almost every case there’s someone who holds the leading camel on a leash, you’ll almost never see them steering a camel like they do with horses.
Do you think they could have any military uses or is the vast camel population we have useless

Using them as steeds of war would be devastating, because a lot of people need camels to subside and it’s the means of wealth, from it’s milk, it’s meat, to its hind

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Do you think they could have any military uses or is the vast camel population we have useless

Using them as steeds of war would be devastating, because a lot of people need camels to subside and it’s the means of wealth, from it’s milk, it’s meat, to its hind
LOL the millions of camels we have is by no means useless.

It’s one of the only reasons we’re alive rn. We’re way past the industrial era, using animals in war is so primitive when americans are using drones.

It was probably useful a century ago in africa, but as of now it’s not.

We can still use it for livestock, its main purpose. countless shitty tuulos are alive because they have like a hundred camels with them.

And your last point is also correct, even if it was useful. We couldn’t just strip camels away from geeljires and let them starve. We’d have to set up a husbandry and specifically breed the strongest and bulkiest camels,

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
i use to have a camel that was symbolically given to me somewhere in somalia, i hope it's producing milk and sustaining a small family :)

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
i use to have a camel that was symbolically given to me somewhere in somalia, i hope it's producing milk and sustaining a small family :)
You got a camel?? They gave me a baby goat like back in the summer of 2014, he was a cute black and white goat.

They used to tie him and other baby goats in jawan bags at night so wild cats wouldn’t eat them. Right before the stud goats came home after a long day of wandering the streets of laascanood. They’re actually pretty smart, they never get lost, god knows where they go. And I also found it sweet that they didn’t have to worry about someone kidnapping their goat.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
You got a camel?? They gave me a baby goat like back in the summer of 2014, he was a cute black and white goat.

They used to tie him and other baby goats in jawan bags at night so wild cats wouldn’t eat them. Right before the stud goats came home after a long day of wandering the streets of laascanood. They’re actually pretty smart, they never get lost, god knows where they go. And I also found it sweet that they didn’t have to worry about someone kidnapping their goat.

that's super awesome, I didn't know goats could come back home on their own. It's pretty cool to let them wander around the city and do them. I wonder if they could get lost into another herd :)

LOL the millions of camels we have is by no means useless.

It’s one of the only reasons we’re alive rn. We’re way past the industrial era, using animals in war is so primitive when americans are using drones.

It was probably useful a century ago in africa, but as of now it’s not.

We can still use it for livestock, its main purpose. countless shitty tuulos are alive because they have like a hundred camels with them.

And your last point is also correct, even if it was useful. We couldn’t just strip camels away from geeljires and let them starve. We’d have to set up a husbandry and specifically breed the strongest and bulkiest camels,
alxamdulilah for our camel

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
that's super awesome, I didn't know goats could come back home on their own. It's pretty cool to let them wander around the city and do them. I wonder if they could get lost into another herd :)
I know right, The kids were always kept inside the gates, whereas the does were kept just outside the house, and they did their own things.

I always found it weird that they only had like 3 billies and the rest were all does (about a dozen). But now that I think about it, the dow’s were useful for milk, and only a few billies were left as studs. The goat that I was given was a boy, so I hope he grew up to be a stud. Or else he was most probably killed :i83dwbv:

I remember some kids lost their moms, so we’d have to force a few does to share its udder with the orphans.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
oh yeah and I don’t think they’d get lost in herds, goats are pretty smart. They’re like cats. It was like clockwork, they’d always come back right before sunset.

There was this famous goat in Hargeisa called “Cali Uraaye”, it was very aggressive and the locals would play around with it. It died recently sadly.

Trending