Slavery in Ethiopia!

Marcus Garvey quote

It is preferable for the Abyssinian Negroes and the Negroes of the world to work for the restoration and freedom of the country without the assistance of Selassie, because at best he is but a slave master. The Negroes of the Western World whose forefathers suffered for three hundred years under the terrors of slavery ought to be able to appreciate what freedom means. Surely they cannot feel justified in supporting any system that would hold their brothers in slavery in another country whilst they are enjoying the benefits of freedom elsewhere. The Africans who are free can also appreciate the position of slaves in Abyssinia [Ethiopia]. What right has the Emperor to keep slaves when all the democratic sections of the world were free, when men had the right to live, to develop, to expand, to enjoy all the benefits of human liberty? (1937, p.741)

I believe that slavery in the old continents or the old world was not the same as in the Americas, there a slave lasted 6, 7 years and you had to buy another

Last edited:
A long time ago, I watched a documentary (forgot the name) about Ethiopia's social hierarchy(Landed Aristocrats, Churches, Peasants etc.) & the racial element stood out very clearly.

One scene that I still remember is seeing one Hamitic Habesha Aristocrat that had so many Blacks working for him on his field/land. It was literally a throw-back to feudal Europe in the middle ages.

Last edited:
A long time ago, I watched a documentary (forgot the name) about Ethiopia's social hierarchy(Landed Aristocrats, Churches, Peasants etc.) & the racial element stood out very clearly.

One scene that I still remember is seeing one Habesha landed aristocrat that had so many Blacks working for him on his field/land. It was literally a throw-back to feudal Europe in the middle ages.
What is the name of the documentary. Can you share with us please

Yes, Ethiopian feudals owned slaves, even my own forefather had many slaves. I was ashamed when I heard about that the first time and how his salves were treated. A very shameful history indeed. But you have to acknowledge also that it was Haile Selassie who legally abolished slavery and involuntary servitude by law and writing it in the constitution. He was born and raised in that feudal system but still managed to make it illegal by law. We always need to balance and get the whole picture. A one sided picture is nothing but pure propaganda.

Trending

Latest posts