Skin tone and genetics

How many of you have A111T gene? It's the gene that makes contributes to light-skin. it's found in Europeans, North Africans, Middle-East, some parts of southern asia and Ethiopia/Somalia. Apparently only 40-60% of Somalis have it. It's mostly found in North Somalia, then lesser in South Somalia.

AbdiFreedom

#Pierre4PM/End Mass Immigration to 🇨🇦 #DefundUN
Staff Member
I have it but I am so dark, my skin is blue. So fake news.

Apollo

VIP
How many of you have A111T gene? It's the gene that makes contributes to light-skin. it's found in Europeans, North Africans, Middle-East, some parts of southern asia and Ethiopia/Somalia. Apparently only 40-60% of Somalis have it. It's mostly found in North Somalia, then lesser in South Somalia.

I have it but I am so dark, my skin is blue. So fake news.

Never trust 23andme when it comes to health or physical traits. They are extremely slow to update their system with the latest findings and are often literally a decade behind with the latest research.

There are African skin tone alleles that make one darker skinned not listed on 23andme. So you can have those lightening Eurasian alleles listed on 23andMe along with darkening African ones not listed on 23andMe:

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
Never trust 23andme when it comes to health or physical traits. They are extremely slow to update their system with the latest findings and are often literally a decade behind with the latest research.

There are African skin tone alleles that make one darker skinned not listed on 23andme. So you can have those lightening Eurasian alleles listed on 23andMe along with darkening African ones not listed on 23andMe:

Do you know any DNA companies that can give you verified skin allele results?

Apollo

VIP
Do you know any DNA companies that can give you verified skin allele results?

I wouldn't trust any of them.

Better to download the raw data and then use 3rd party tools that are up to date with the latest research.

Google 3rd party genetic tools for more info or browse through forums like anthrogenica.

Som

VIP
@Apollo
How would you explain the great variance in skin tone and phenotypes among somalis? In my family on both side I have pretty dark types and mariin/light skinned types who are brothers and sisters. You don't really see this that much in other african groups who tend to be more homogeneous in skin tone. Same with hair texture, i have afro hair maybe 3c but i have close relatives that range from super straight indian like hair to 4a curls