Similarities between Afaan oromoo and Afsoomaali

Sources:

74329CCF-AB8F-4CE5-A06A-19DC58D84040.jpeg
34ABBEF5-2645-462C-8765-5905098BE839.jpeg
184D7F8E-D5C8-40C9-88C9-6DBA07E99F90.jpeg
04DE5939-09E0-4CB3-9973-44A82B12E3AF.jpeg

Garaad diinle

 
One of the main reasons I’m on this site is the see the similarities in language. So many similarities we don’t know about.

Aara is the common word for angry. It’s used by all Oromo dialects, at least the majority. The other word listed I have never heard before.

Im not sure if we actually have a word for grudge, we usually just say aara qaabe or qaaba which just means keeping anger.

within my dialect, it’s borrowed a lot of Harari and Arabic word so some word may seem foreign to me. People from the rural areas have more pure Afan Oromo within this dialect and would know the words.
Here is dhakam That i talked about.

04DE5939-09E0-4CB3-9973-44A82B12E3AF.jpeg

Wow, that’s a lot I did not expect. Great thread. The only word that didn’t make sense was tomorrow. On the list it says Baritu, which means early or Bari. We’d say Boru.

Seems like the words are almost identical with some missing a few vocabs or letters at the end slightly changing.

Overall, great comparison work. I’m sure there are way more then listed here.

Garaad diinle

 
Wow, that’s a lot I did not expect. Great thread. The only word that didn’t make sense was tomorrow. On the list it says Baritu, which means early or Bari. We’d say Boru.

Seems like the words are almost identical with some missing a few vocabs or letters at the end slightly changing.

Overall, great comparison work. I’m sure there are way more then listed here.
We also say bariday which means woke up in the early morning. The list of somali word also have many other synonyms for example elephant in somali is marodi but a male elephant is arbe.

Trending