Was Siad Barre a Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macalin M

Out here
All this speculating to call him a gaal and then what if he’s not :mjlol: What if you out here calling someone who repented/or has always been a Muslim a gaal Lol

Som

VIP
AMY GOODMAN: And Siad Barre of Somalia?

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah, dictator of Somalia. It’s, to me, one of the scariest stories that I found in their archives. I was able to recreate this, because they dumped 600 boxes of papers in the Billy Graham archives. Siad Barre was a —- not a likely candidate for Christian right recruitment, called himself a Koranic Marxist. But in the early ’80s, the Soviets had abandoned him. There had been a power shift between Somalia and Ethiopia. He was in the market for a new patron. And working through Senator Chuck Grassley, Republican of Iowa, of course still in office -—

AMY GOODMAN: Talk more about Chuck Grassley, who certainly is in the news now, who, together with Max Baucus, heads the Senate Finance Committee.

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: Baucus, Democrat; Grassley, Republican. Very powerful figure, especially around healthcare right now.

JEFF SHARLET: Indeed. And Grassley has been involved with the organization for quite some time, since the ’80s, when he traveled to Somalia to join Barre, Siad Barre, in prayer to Jesus. And he brought with him a defense contractor named Bill Brehm.

And Barre was a kind of a cynical character, as you might expect for a dictator. He was very clear. He says, “I’m willing to pray to Jesus, and here’s what I want in return.” He says, “I want my defense budget doubled.” He says, “I want meetings for my officials with the Reagan White House. And I want a sort of a hands-off policy while I crack down on some rebels.” Doug Coe, the leader of the group, wrote back, in essence, “Done, done and done.”

And when we look at history, so it was. And Barre used those weapons, supplied to him in part by the US, to wage a war of almost biblical proportion on his own people, from which Somalia has not recovered to this day. The Family doesn’t consider that a failure; they consider that God’s will for Somalia.

RjHrKfy.jpg
Siad Barre once said that he would ally with devil if it could benefit Somalia. This is called a hyperbole, it's obviously not to be taken literally.
I doubt Siad Barre ever said he would pray jesus but even if he said it would have been an hyperbole and not a serious statement.
This picture proves NOTHING. Siad was simply meeting the pope who is the leader of the Vatican State. Is everyone who meets the pope a Catholic christian?

Som

VIP
Could a political tactic. Claim fake conversion to secure war supplies. :lolbron:
This is silly on so many levels.
Do you think Western countries base their weapons deals on religion? They wouldn't sell weapons to Saudi Arabia if that was the case

This is silly on so many levels.
Do you think Western countries base their weapons deals on religion? They wouldn't sell weapons to Saudi Arabia if that was the case
Why isn't Turkey in the EU after 20 years of Trying? When that whole area was the Roman Empire.

Som

VIP
Why isn't Turkey in the EU after 20 years of Trying? When that whole area was the Roman Empire.
It's not about the religion of the ruler though. They won't ket u join the Eu if u are a muslim Country sure, but they would support you and sell you weapons if you support them.
Why is the west so friendly with wahabi saudi Arabia? What about the Uae who just signed a peace deal with Israel? Come on.
Siad Barre would have gotten any weapon he needed even as long as he was useful to the west. No need to pray Jesus.

It's not about the religion of the ruler though. They won't ket u join the Eu if u are a muslim Country sure, but they would support you and sell you weapons if you support them.
Why is the west so friendly with wahabi saudi Arabia? What about the Uae who just signed a peace deal with Israel? Come on.
Siad Barre would have gotten any weapon he needed even as long as he was useful to the west. No need to pray Jesus.
D1JvS-tXcAERp0X.jpg

The weapons they give Saudis are 2nd rate compared to stuff they give Italy, probably 3-4th rate compared to the stuff they give Israel. Get real. You are so naive.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
And Barre was a kind of a cynical character, as you might expect for a dictator. He was very clear. He says, “I’m willing to pray to Jesus, and here’s what I want in return.” He says, “I want my defense budget doubled.”

Ignoring the conspiracy theory and victim complex he just sounds like a pragmatic person. When did believing in a specific religion for absolutely no reason get you anywhere?

Apparently he was offered a home in Saudi Arabia but instead he chose Lagos, Nigeria. It all makes sense, this documentary exposed him. Prove us all wrong? :leon:

I always wondered why siad barre never went to Saudi Arabia , they tend to always give refuge for their fellow Muslim dictators

I always wondered why siad barre never went to Saudi Arabia , they tend to always give refuge for their fellow Muslim dictators
He actually went to hajji a few times. All the arabs states cut ties with him when he refused to cut ties with Egypt after they signed a peace treaty with Israel in 73'. And the funny thing is Egypt did not help Somalia in the 77 war due to them not wanting to damage their relationships with the USSR.
No wonder farmjo is been giving el sisi cold shoulders ever since he took office

Two Americans involved with the National Prayer Breakfast passed through Mogadishu on their way to visit Kenyan President Daniel arap Moi. They met with Siad Barre, while in Somalia, where they discussed the importance of Jesus Christ’s message to love one’s enemies

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
I haven’t seen evidence to say he was. And that’s between him and Allah now anyways. Not sure what we can achieve by speculating. Even if he was it didn’t change his motivations and actions.

This is the NETFLIX documentary that exposed Siad Barre & the Christian Group called The Family

The Family is an American documentary web television miniseries that premiered on Netflix on August 9, 2019. The series examines a conservative Christian group—known as the Family or the Fellowship—its history, and investigates its influence on American politics.

God i wished we stayed pan-somali secularists. Instead we have a generation of 68IQ suicide bombers to deal with.
Nah we should’ve had normal Islam and limited gulf influence. Suicide bombings only came after the Arabs. Islam should’ve been embedded into Somali society and law.

Nah we should’ve had normal Islam and limited gulf influence. Suicide bombings only came after the Arabs. Islam should’ve been embedded into Somali society and law.
Islam is the answer. We‘d still be eating bark from trees without deen and spreading HIV. This whole wahhabism al shabab isn’t our fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending