Siad barre: A Christian?

Jungle

VIP
AMY GOODMAN: And Siad Barre of Somalia?

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah, dictator of Somalia. It’s, to me, one of the scariest stories that I found in their archives. I was able to recreate this, because they dumped 600 boxes of papers in the Billy Graham archives. Siad Barre was a —- not a likely candidate for Christian right recruitment, called himself a Koranic Marxist. But in the early ’80s, the Soviets had abandoned him. There had been a power shift between Somalia and Ethiopia. He was in the market for a new patron. And working through Senator Chuck Grassley, Republican of Iowa, of course still in office -—

AMY GOODMAN: Talk more about Chuck Grassley, who certainly is in the news now, who, together with Max Baucus, heads the Senate Finance Committee.

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: Baucus, Democrat; Grassley, Republican. Very powerful figure, especially around healthcare right now.

JEFF SHARLET: Indeed. And Grassley has been involved with the organization for quite some time, since the ’80s, when he traveled to Somalia to join Barre, Siad Barre, in prayer to Jesus. And he brought with him a defense contractor named Bill Brehm.

And Barre was a kind of a cynical character, as you might expect for a dictator. He was very clear. He says, “I’m willing to pray to Jesus, and here’s what I want in return.” He says, “I want my defense budget doubled.” He says, “I want meetings for my officials with the Reagan White House. And I want a sort of a hands-off policy while I crack down on some rebels.” Doug Coe, the leader of the group, wrote back, in essence, “Done, done and done.”

And when we look at history, so it was. And Barre used those weapons, supplied to him in part by the US, to wage a war of almost biblical proportion on his own people, from which Somalia has not recovered to this day. The Family doesn’t consider that a failure; they consider that God’s will for Somalia

Whoever can be bothered to watch that video and read the transcripts on there^^^

Not suprising he we was telling people he'll take Christianity for weapons at that time.

As some of us know ever since afweyne fell out with the soviet union christian missionaries had been active up and down the country whether italian, american etc

Yes, this has been posted a few times before and his little nephews always spazz out, lmao.

Siad Barre was exposed on the Netflix Documentary and Book about the secretive Christian Fundamentalist group that has a lot of political power, they're called 'The Family'.

Watch it on Netflix:

MV5BNzVmYTA4NGYtMDE2Zi00MGRjLWIzYWEtZGVjMGFkOWQyNzJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Jungle

VIP
Yes, this has been posted a few times before and his little nephews always spazz out, lmao.

Siad Barre was exposed on the Netflix Documentary and Book on the secretive Christian Fundamentalist group that has a lot of political power, they're called 'The Family'.

Watch it on Netflix:

MV5BNzVmYTA4NGYtMDE2Zi00MGRjLWIzYWEtZGVjMGFkOWQyNzJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

:gucciwhat: i think everybody understands he was a gaal but such a close relationahip with christian missionaries and organizations I didn't know about tbh.

Siad Barre was exposed on the Netflix Documentary and Book about the secretive Christian Fundamentalist group that has a lot of political power, they're called 'The Family'.

Watch it on Netflix:

Yet his son in law the favorite Afweyne man Gen Moorgan is roaming freely in your great state of Puntland :eating:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
We supposed to believe some gaal? Xasbanullah we cant even take news from a faasiq Muslim forget a gaal.

AUN keep giving him your ajar Siad Barre AUN ilaahi qabrigi ha waasiciyo

F02C66EB-220F-4830-9019-2C694769EC23.png

Being a Christian would do Justice to Siyad Barre dude was Satan himself! Him iyo Beesha Isaaq will do anything for power. These types of people need to be erased going forward we cannot afford the damage they cause to the Somali Mind.

The US has assisted so many bad dictatorships and terror groups, it's mad. Barre, Khymer Rouge, Latin american dictators, and even the taliban when they were fighting the soviets.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
AUN

The man is long gone, along with other prominent figures like Aided and Yusuf. Instead we should focus on today and tomorrow to bring about real change, once our country is stable and our people are in good standing, we can discuss contreversial history in an objective manner, good or bad :)

We supposed to believe some gaal? Xasbanullah we cant even take news from a faasiq Muslim forget a gaal.

AUN keep giving him your ajar Siad Barre AUN ilaahi qabrigi ha waasiciyo

View attachment 206253

i would certainly be inclined to believe a gaal who has no incentive to lie about a long dead random african dictator whose flawed character is already well documented.

It was a figure of speech and exaggeration from his side not actually changing his religion. I hate Siad Barre more than anyone but calling him a Christian Gaal is not factually true.

I'd say he was a secular maybe non practicing Muslim but it's clear he wasn't a Gaal.