Should Somalis in the Diaspora be mortgaging homes?

Should Somalis mortgage homes

• Total voters
I hate it when people retardedly screech "RIBBBBA" without providing viable solutions wallahi. Sure, you could go through an Islamic bank but that's a whole another can of worms. Interest is at the very core of most Western economies. Avoiding that shit is next to impossible.

Exactly, if you're a Muslim in the west, and you have a bank account with one of the major financial institutions, you have to pay a interest rate just to maintain your account, meaning just dealing with these banks amounts to Riba. You don't want Riba? Leave the west, and go live in a village back home.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Exactly, if you're a Muslim in the west, and you have a bank account with one of the major financial institutions, you have to pay a interest rate just to maintain your account, meaning just dealing with these banks amounts to Riba. You don't want Riba? Leave the west, and go live in a village back home.
Absolutely! Riba is everywhere and standard!

You own a debit card/credit card? Riba.

You pay car insurance? Absolutely haram bro.

You play the lottery? Haram! Riba!

All these Salafi charlatan people are phony.

:qri8gs7:, If only people understood this smh

Keo

VIP
You gotta move to places like Dagenham and places in Redbridge to be able to even afford a mortgage. I would need to be earning £75k to be able to afford a mortgage where I live.
9BC82BCC-33DD-497E-9093-9A41F68826B7.png

Here’s the full map for those that live in London
67DF4934-FFD4-4022-BB5C-E017AD1F513A.png

What do you mean pay interest just to maintain accounts? Checking accounts aren’t interest bearing. Do you mean the customer may be indirectly affected as the bank is dealing in interest?

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
:qri8gs7:, If only people understood this smh
Debit cards literally run on the fractional banking system which means the money your withdrawing is not actually your money but RIBA. Banks only hold 10% of customer funds and lend the rest out and guess what they are charging interest with your money :mjlol:

Even basic things like Overdraft is INTEREST.

Debit cards literally run on the fractional banking system which means the money your withdrawing is not actually your money but RIBA. Banks only hold 10% of customer funds and lend the rest out and guess what they are charging interest with your money :mjlol:

@Angelina @Cajiib This, just participating in the western financial system is troublesome.

@Chase

Yes, but using a debit card does not mean that you're actively engaging in it yourself. Debit cards work like cash, so you don't accrue debt. You don't make any monthly payments. You don't pay interest. There are no annual fees.
If you put in 30k, you can only spend 30k.

@Chase

Yes, but using a debit card does not mean that you're actively engaging in it yourself. Debit cards work like cash, so you don't accrue debt. You don't make any monthly payments. You don't pay interest. There are no annual fees.
If you put in 30k, you can only spend 30k.
Honestly, I don't know how it works in the UK, in Australia, even if you have a debit card linked to an account, you have to pay a interest fee of 4 dollars a month. Is Barclay's any different?

You gotta move to places like Dagenham and places in Redbridge to be able to even afford a mortgage. I would need to be earning £75k to be able to afford a mortgage where I live.View attachment 228757

Here’s the full map for those that live in London
View attachment 228758
My friends makes around that much but he lives in Kent and communtes to work for f*ck sake. You might as well hand your cock and balls to the bank if you're thinking about buying property in anywhere near London lol

It's a hard one Nak. I think Islamic mortgages are probably the only solution I can see for the time being. Riba isn't something a practising Muslim can engage without fearing for their Akhira as iwe're told that those that take out riba is equivalent to Allah waging war against them, will be beaten by satan on DOJ, cursed and the list goes on. It's actually scary when you read about how colossal the sin is. However, there have been scholars who have said that taking out mortgage for your 1st home that you plan to live in is acceptable if you have no choice, but that is a fringe opinion.
An Islamic mortgage or a HPPS are realistically the only option if you're a practising Muslim, but then you get into the question of if they're competative with other institutions etc. It's just a headfuck wallahi. I wouldn't put too much weight on the "interast for 1st time home ownership is halal" thing, you have other scholars saying it's okay if you sell alcohol if you work at a chain supermarket etc lol
Then there's the question of car repayment, student loans and so forth. It's a fucking mindfield.

My friends makes around that much but he lives in Kent and communtes to work for f*ck sake. You might as well hand your cock and balls to the bank if you're thinking about buying property in anywhere near London lol

An Islamic mortgage or a HPPS are realistically the only option if you're a practising Muslim, but then you get into the question of if they're competative with other institutions etc. It's just a headfuck wallahi. I wouldn't put too much weight on the "interast for 1st time home ownership is halal" thing, you have other scholars saying it's okay if you sell alcohol if you work at a chain supermarket etc lol
There is no such thing as an "Islamic" mortgage, they're all based on interest lol

Salafi? Are you okay?! Some of you lot are now using aspects of the deen you have issues with and labelling it 'Salafi' to hide that. You're not slick.

-It is a fact, Salafi or not that riba is a major sin. That is a basic aspect of Islam that most people are aware of. But what many might not be aware of, is how much of a major sin it is.

-Scholars have said paying insurance is okay because by law, you cannot drive without an insurance. Driving is a dire necessity. However, owning a house isn't. You can rent. It isn't great, but most aren't homeless.

-Lottery? Why would a Muslim play the lottery? What need is there but greediness?

- We know that the Western financial system is all riba based, but a debit card works like cash. No monthly payments, no annual fee. What you put in, is merely what you can spend.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as an "Islamic" mortgage, they're all based on interest lol
I think the Islamic bank purchases the property on your behalf and in effects makes you pay rent till the total sum is repaid, after which point you become the legal owner. But that probably means the monthly repayments are more crippling in some respects.

Honestly, I don't know how it works in the UK, in Australia, even if you have a debit card linked to an account, you have to pay a interest fee of 4 dollars a month. Is Barclay's any different?
I guess Australia is a no-go for me lol. I can’t imagine being charged interest on a checking account/debit card. That’s infuriating. Maybe America isn’t so bad after all.

I know of people who buy homes from government auction with straight cash. It’s a risky venture but helps you avoid riba or anything related.

I think the Islamic bank purchases the property on your behalf and in effects makes you pay rent till the total sum is repaid, after which point you become the legal owner. But that probably means the monthly repayments are more crippling in some respects.

I'm gonna be honest, the words "Islamic" and "mortgage" doesn't make sense to me, either it's Riba or it's not. If UK Somalis are allowed to take loans without interest, wallahi I envy y'all

In the 90’s- early 2000s, in my city we had Pakistani sheikhs in the mosque lecturing somalis on how haram «riba» is, and that we should rent instead of buying homes.

The same Pakistanis own 2-3 homes, run the taxi businesses and the kiosk/cornershops.

They still preach about how haram riba is btw. Let that sink in please
Most pakistanis I know don’t indulge in riba, instead, the whole family put money together and slowly but surely buy homes for each brother. There’s a reason why cousin marriages is so prevalent in that community, it is to preserve property.

and secondly, most pakistanis came to Uk etc. in the 50s, 60s,70s as working people, my friends parents bought their home in london in 1970 for £20000, which is dirt cheap considering the market today. Somalis came post 1990 as refugees, most of them had minimal education etc.

and anyways, in the Quran we are clearly forbade from taking interest, if these so if these people are not following the commands of Allah, why do you want to indulge in a sin which is 36 times worse than zina.

Trending