Should I pay off my student loans or invest?

My decision will be based on the votes. Please vote

• Student loans

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Invest

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Hi sspot,
I Miss you guys
To the new members I have not interacted with yet, welcome! 🥰

Title is self explanatory I guess.
So yeah, I am in my final year and I've saved up good money for the first time. Kinda 50/50 with investing or paying off my debt..

Need advice please 🙃

I'm based in Canada
Ok, I would've been more helpful if you went to a British university, but I think I can pass on good advice.

Basically, this boils down to which is bigger : the interest rate of your student loans Vs expected return from investments

For example, if the interest rate on your student loans are ~5% annually, and the expected return is 7%, then you'd go for investment.

If the interest rate of your student loan is larger, pay those off first.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Ok, I would've been more helpful if you went to a British university, but I think I can pass on good advice.

Basically, this boils down to which is bigger : the interest rate of your student loans Vs expected return from investments

For example, if the interest rate on your student loans are ~5% annually, and the expected return is 7%, then you'd go for investment.

My only hesitation on investing is, it could go both ways. I could make profit or incur loss while paying my stu loans guarantees I will be debt free.

Karaboga

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep
I would pay off the student debt and try to get it reduced.

I would add that if you do take the investment option. It's better to pay off the debt with the return on equity you make.

Buy a house or an apartment for the money, then use the money you'll have used for down payment of your mortgage as a down payment to your student debt..

Historically stocks (index) would give you better returns than the interest charged on the loan. That being said interest rates are going up and markets have been volatile lately. In a low interest environment, investments are better, but rising interest rates, I would pay off the loan first.

I heard Interest has been suspended for all Canadian students until next year, they might even extend that with where the economy is headed. Depending on how much you have saved up investing it wouldn't be a bad idea....

@Hodan from HR
I think it would be wise to invest in easily liquidity investment. Since the is 0% interest in the federal portion of the loan( pay off the provincial part if you can).
When investing diversify your portfolio.
I have a question for you:
Since you are able to pay off the loan immediately(assuming you just finished schooling) will it no trigger audit on you to see if you qualified for the loan in the first place?

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
@Hodan from HR
I think it would be wise to invest in easily liquidity investment. Since the is 0% interest in the federal portion of the loan( pay off the provincial part if you can).
When investing diversify your portfolio.
I have a question for you:
Since you are able to pay off the loan immediately(assuming you just finished schooling) will it no trigger audit on you to see if you qualified for the loan in the first place?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Maybe I should invest.
If not for the higher profit it could generate, it seems the path of least resistance right now..