Sheeko qosol badan

I have a story that I think y'all will find funny.

When my father was a little boy, he was reer baadiya, there was a drought in the early 70s and people were desperate.

One day my grandfather came home from the city with a piece of paper, seemingly sounding out stuff, "aa", "baa" "taa".

My father, extremely curious asked what he was reading/saying.

My grandfather responded "waa farta soomaaliyeed"

My father stood there confused, wondering what people's fingers had to with his dad sounding out letters from a piece of paper, To which my grandfather had to basically explain the concept of a writing system to my dad.

He still laughs about it to this day💀

Nah this was the early 70's when Somali script was made
When the somali script was made it was just a transition from the arabic script.
Writting and Reading wasn't new to somalis.
But during the 1970's I think that most people knew how to read (I might be wrong on that one, please correct me if it's false).

When the somali script was made it was just a transition from the arabic script.
Writting and Reading wasn't new to somalis.
But during the 1970's I think that most people knew how to read (I might be wrong on that one, please correct me if it's false).
Not in the early 70's, because of Siad Barre there was a major literacy campaign, so by the late 70's many Somalis knew how to read;