Shariah in a religiously plural society?

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier

I saw this post and at first I was enraged. I thought that this guy was stupid. I still do but it made me wonder the direction Ethiopia will go in moving forward. Islam looks as if it will stay stagnant proportionally but proselytisation into Protestantism is happening at a rapid rate. They tend to be more militant and so the future interaction between Muslims and Protestants will be interesting

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
With an sharia run nation christians can oractice their faith in whats called a dhimmi. It gives christians the right to worship and even go to an christian court compared to an islamic one.

If christians can give muslims the same rights then it would seem to be a peaceful future.

seldiboy

With an sharia run nation christians can oractice their faith in whats called a dhimmi. It gives christians the right to worship and even go to an christian court compared to an islamic one.

If christians can give muslims the same rights then it would seem to be a peaceful future.
Muslims have the same rights as Christians in Ethiopia.

Shariah: Pay jizya or we will kill you and you wonโ€™t be able to practice your faith.
GTFOH LOL

If Ethiopian Muslims become the majority in the country and try to implement Sharia the country will simply dissolve. There is 0 chance of the Amhara or Tigrayans or any of the traditionally Christian communities rolling over and accepting Muslim rule over the country and Ethiopia is already teetering on the verge of collapse.

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
Muslims have the same rights as Christians in Ethiopia.

Shariah: Pay jizya or we will kill you and you wonโ€™t be able to practice your faith.
GTFOH LOL
How much do you think jizya is?

If you don't pay your taxes in the west you would still be persecuted just not killed. Also jizya is far leas than typical taxes.
The non-Muslim poor, the elderly, women, serfs, religious functionaries, and the mentally ill generally did not pay any taxes
In return for payment of the jizyah, non-Muslim populationsโ€”specifically Jews and Christiansโ€”were granted protection of life and property and the right to practice their religion, Under this policy they were called dhimmฤซs (protected people). If Muslim authorities were militarily unable to defend the dhimmฤซs in the event of an attack by an external aggressor, the former were required to return the jizyah to the latter.

seldiboy

How much do you think jizya is?

If you don't pay your taxes in the west you would still be persecuted just not killed. Also jizya is far leas than typical taxes.
Itโ€™s not about the amount. Itโ€™s about the principle. Jizya is literally just racketeering lol. At least with conventional taxes you get public infrastructure and services and so by evading them itโ€™s as if you are stealing said services. With jizya you are paying for โ€œprotectionโ€ from the people you are paying to.

In Ethiopiaโ€™s case, if Salafis got their way, it would the mandatory ceding of rights from a good 60% percent of the population

Itโ€™s not about the amount. Itโ€™s about the principle. Jizya is literally just racketeering lol. At least with conventional taxes you get public infrastructure and services and so by evading them itโ€™s as if you are stealing said services. With jizya you are paying for โ€œprotectionโ€ from the people you are paying to.

In Ethiopiaโ€™s case, if Salafis got their way, it would the mandatory ceding of rights from a good 60% percent of the population

By that definition all forms of governance are 'rackeetering' because not paying taxes will result in the government coming to f*ck you up. With Jizya, the expectation is that in exchange for Christians not serving as soldiers and fighting in defense of the state, they pay an extra tax. During the time of the Umayyads, not only Christians, but all non-Arabs even converts were required to pay the Jizya. The inheritance laws that were biased in favor of converts in lands such as Iran were much more impactful to mass conversions in the region. A third or fourth son who stood no chance to inherit lands from his father could by converting to Islam become the sole and primary heir of his father's estate and dispossess his older non-Muslim brothers. This is to say that there were many other factors than merely the Jizya that facilitated the conversion of non-Muslim populaces.

Internet Nomad

VIP

Paying taxes also protects you from the goverment. They would throw you in prision if you dont. Also who says jizya don't go to public services.

Yaraye

VIP
the OP shouldn't worry. Sooner or later somalia will take over the east. All of y'all will be muslims. WALA! problem solved :diddyass:
Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land

I saw this post and at first I was enraged. I thought that this guy was stupid. I still do but it made me wonder the direction Ethiopia will go in moving forward. Islam looks as if it will stay stagnant proportionally but proselytisation into Protestantism is happening at a rapid rate. They tend to be more militant and so the future interaction between Muslims and Protestants will be interesting

Ethiopia will most likely break up, before becoming a shariah ruled country. Even with a clear muslim majority population; anyone with basic knowledge of that country knows deep down that it will never happen.

Realistically, if it happens, it's most likely be the regional states with a homogeneous muslim residents, i.e. Afar and Somali region, who will implement it.

Oromo are split religious wise, but they tend to be more open-minded, hence why some Oromo muslims even celebrate pagan Waaq religious traditions. The muslims and christians go well together and have been doing so for a long time. And they'll most likely keep it that way.

I don't think the Somali region would even implement it either. We've hitherto only had Addis-backed regional gov't/president, but even if an independent candidate democratically and with a public confidence gets power, the chance of it becoming a shariah region is slim. And will probably follow suit in the direction of other non-Shariah governed muslim countries like Egypt; full secular state but shariah laws with regards to certain aspects like marriage, divorce, inheritance and child custody etc. and other things they share with Christianity like on LGBT and abortion issues.

To begin with, why are Ethiopians even worried about the demographic of Muslims in that country?

No one told them to colonize, occupy and annex land belonging to Muslims who practices their religion since 1000+ years back? Even though I donโ€™t agree with forcing them to adhere to sharia laws, they deserve whatever comes their way.

Hopefully it comes a time, in which they โ€˜voluntarilyโ€™ secedes land to maintain a Christian majority country. It will be good for us and good for them as well.

Also, the Ethiopian state downplays the size and share of Muslims in contrast to the overal population. Probably 40-45%, if not more. In any case, the inevitable will come soon. Hopefully they regret their imperial past by then and corrects it per requests, kkk :trumpsmirk:

Garaad diinle

๎€š๎€ž๎€ข๎€œ๎€  ๎€ ๎€Ÿ๎€ก๎€๎€›
For an eritrean you sure care a lot about ethiopia the very country you fought. You try to present yourself as impartial on the matters between muslims and christians and sort of sympathetic if not slightly leaning towards the muslim point of view or at the very least understanding of their perspective. Reality is that you're pro ethiopia and an amhara apologetic judging from your posts.

Trending