Shaking Hands

Do you believe hand shaking between the genders to be a sin?

• Yes

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
upload_2019-11-7_16-56-28.jpeg

I brought up this because I saw this guy (foul mouthed, always involved in clan dissing issues and from his character, he would fok any chick) was criticising this Somali lady because she shook hands with men, what is the big deal between men and women shaking hands? Is this another cultural holocaust lost to the Salafis?

I think it can be awkward. Shaking hands is how people say hello in the west. I dont know if its haram i try not to do it unless i have to like an interview or someone goes out of their way to shake mine then i usually respond. Allah knows my intentions. I do have few male coworkers who are bit handy i tell them that i am not allowed to shake hands etc give them a long lecture with lots of smiles and we usually laugh about it. I like guys since i am bit of a tom boy so i like to inform them early on lol

I think it can be awkward. Shaking hands is how people say hello in the west. I dont know if its haram i try not to do it unless i have to like an interview or someone goes out of their way to shake mine then i usually respond. Allah knows my intentions. I do have few male coworkers who are bit handy i tell them that i am not allowed to shake hands etc give them a long lecture with lots of smiles and we usually laugh about it. I like guys since i am bit of a tom boy so i like to inform them early on lol

@Halimo-2018

I don’t like shaking hands at all be they men or women and do it only when offered me to shake it. Similarly, people should have the right who they consent to touch (shake hands with) them, but when a Somali guy who is known to be sexually predatory criticises a Somali lady for shaking the hand of a man, this is indicative that it has penetrated our culture and no longer viewed as religious.

@Halimo-2018

I don’t like shaking hands at all be they men or women and do it only when offered me to shake it. Similarly, people should have the right who they consent to touch (shake hands with) them, but when a Somali guy who is known to be sexually predatory criticises a Somali lady for shaking the hand of a man, this is indicative that it has penetrated our culture and no longer viewed as religious.
Everything we do is judged as somali women. It will make you paranoid. I have detector radar for that now.
A girls has got to cope in a man's world.
May Allah protect us.

Praise be to Allah.

For a man to shake hands with a non-mahram woman (one to whom he is not related) is haram and is not permitted at all. Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.”

(Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).
There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haram deeds. No one should say that their intention is sound or their heart is clean, because the one who was the purest of heart and the most chaste of all, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) never touched a non-mahram woman, even when accepting bay’ah (oath of allegiance) from women. He did not hold their hands when accepting their bay’ah, as he did with men; their bay’ah was by words only, as was reported by his wife ‘Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her). She said that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would test the believing women who emigrated to him with the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the bay’ah (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e., by making illegal children belong to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any ma’ruf (Islamic monotheism and all that which Islam ordains), then accept their bay’ah and ask Allah to forgive them. Verily Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Mumtahinah 60:12] ‘Aisha said: “So whoever of the believing women agreed to these conditions, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would say to her: ‘I have accepted your bay’ah by words.’ By Allah, his hand never touched the hand of any woman when accepting their bay’ah; he accepted their bay’ah by saying ‘I have accepted your bay’ah on this basis.’”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4512; according to another report: he accepted their bay’ah by words… the hand of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) never touched the hand of any woman except a woman he owned. Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6674).

Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allah is not ashamed of the truth. The Muslim could apologize politely and explain that the reason he does not want to shake hands is not to offend or hurt anybody’s feelings, but it is because he is following the teachings of his religion. In most cases this will earn him respect from others. There is no harm done if they find it strange at first, and it may even be a practical opportunity for da’wah. And Allah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2459/ruling-on-shaking-hands-with-the-opposite-sex

Praise be to Allah.

For a man to shake hands with a non-mahram woman (one to whom he is not related) is haram and is not permitted at all. Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.”

(Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).
There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haram deeds. No one should say that their intention is sound or their heart is clean, because the one who was the purest of heart and the most chaste of all, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) never touched a non-mahram woman, even when accepting bay’ah (oath of allegiance) from women. He did not hold their hands when accepting their bay’ah, as he did with men; their bay’ah was by words only, as was reported by his wife ‘Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her). She said that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would test the believing women who emigrated to him with the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the bay’ah (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e., by making illegal children belong to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any ma’ruf (Islamic monotheism and all that which Islam ordains), then accept their bay’ah and ask Allah to forgive them. Verily Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Mumtahinah 60:12] ‘Aisha said: “So whoever of the believing women agreed to these conditions, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would say to her: ‘I have accepted your bay’ah by words.’ By Allah, his hand never touched the hand of any woman when accepting their bay’ah; he accepted their bay’ah by saying ‘I have accepted your bay’ah on this basis.’”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4512; according to another report: he accepted their bay’ah by words… the hand of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) never touched the hand of any woman except a woman he owned. Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6674).

Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allah is not ashamed of the truth. The Muslim could apologize politely and explain that the reason he does not want to shake hands is not to offend or hurt anybody’s feelings, but it is because he is following the teachings of his religion. In most cases this will earn him respect from others. There is no harm done if they find it strange at first, and it may even be a practical opportunity for da’wah. And Allah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2459/ruling-on-shaking-hands-with-the-opposite-sex

@Ayubi

Islamqa is a salafi website and these Salafis also claim that women driving cars are haram, they also use hadiths to justify it, do you agree with them?

They also claim women wearing perfume is haram using Hadiths, do you agree with them?

Their cultural domination worked very well on you.

It's fine in certain situations like if receiving your degree certificate, or meeting shaking hands with a judge at a ceremony after receiving your citizenship or something. Otherwise, shaking hands should be avoided by everyone because of pathogen transmission - according to a recent study by the CDC, only 35% of men and 65% of women wash their hands after using the washroom.
As for deen, it's not ideal, but we immigrated here partly to practice Islam more freely as our own "Muslim" countries are not so Islam-friendly, so its inevitable having to adapt. If you don't like it here, please feel free to immigrate to the home of hypocrisy in the Middle East where people are routinely enslaved and raped by Arabs who still have the audacity to claim being Muslims.
We should be more concerned about Muslims not being allowed to pray or recite certain surahs critical of dictatorship in some countries.

I heard it’s better to even touch burning duxul than shaking the other genders hand. From most I’ve heard it’s outright haram and should be avoided.

I find the reasoning of why it’s haram to be so weird does god think we are barbarians who will get h*rny if we shake the other genders hand??? Allah clearly thinks most ppl are raging perverts

I remember when I started a new school and most of the students already knew eachothwr and this one guy came to introduce himself to me and wanted to fistbump and I put my hands under the table and told him I’d rather touch burning Duxul

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
View attachment 81491

I brought up this because I saw this guy (foul mouthed, always involved in clan dissing issues and from his character, he would fok any chick) was criticising this Somali lady because she shook hands with men, what is the big deal between men and women shaking hands? Is this another cultural holocaust lost to the Salafis?

6288.jpg

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

I know you've never been to Mecca or Medina, but I've been to both and let me tell you that there is no partition and segregation between the sexes in the Ka'aba and in Medina, why is there a gender segregation in the Mosques?

Well, there is segregation at prayer time in Mecca, Correct? Men and women mix when they are doing the Tawaf . And it is assumed women are accompanied by their marhams, husband, brothers, etc etc

Well, there is segregation at prayer time in Mecca, Correct? Men and women mix when they are doing the Tawaf . And it is assumed women are accompanied by their marhams, husband, brothers, etc etc

@Basra

I went with my family there 16 years ago when men and women prayed side by side and I see it has changed now. But anyway, the segregation still isn’t as worse than those in the mosques where women are shuffled in a dark grotty place at the back of the mosque.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

I went with my family there 16 years ago when men and women prayed side by side and I see it has changed now. But anyway, the segregation still isn’t as worse than those in the mosques where women are shuffled in a dark grotty place at the back of the mosque.

Aussie

I am always able to counter point your points. :)

@Basra

It's proper decorum. People pray salat in rows in front of you and you assume different poses. A woman who wishes to pray to God wouldn't want men staring at her, nor would a man trying to pray want a woman in front of him as he'd likely be afraid that he may stare at her.
The kabba is different - it is the only place on Earth where people pray facing in a 360-degree circumference pattern within the same prayer space - no matter where you face, people will be performing salat add several hundred or thousand people doing tawaf, and it would be impossible to separate based on gender without a complete overhaul and enforcement of said segregation.
As for it being dark and grotty, that's not deen, but simply logistics. Attendance at the mosque is 100% obligatory for Muslim men, it's optional for women - if the male section is larger it's because that is where the mosque's budget went as that is where most people will be.

Last edited:
All religions and their observants need to be respected, just keep in mind that gender separation isn't something that is unique to Muslims.

In Orthodox Judaism during prayer in synagogues, seating is separate with a special barrier called a mechitza used to divide men and women so they can't see each other.

In the New Testament of the Bible, Corinthians 14:34-35 says: "For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints, women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they wish to inquire about something, they are to ask their own husbands at home; for it is dishonorable for a woman to speak in the church"

In Hinduism there is concept of Chhaupadi, a form of menstruation taboo where a woman is not allowed inside a house when she's on her period, let alone a temple. In places like Tibet and India, girls as young as 11 have had to sleep outside where several have died

In Buddhism, Buddhist nuns are expected to follow stricter rules than their male monk counterparts called the "Eight Garudhammas", which include rules such as obeying the monks and only being allowed to pray only in the presence of the male monks

Last edited:

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
If it’s a “gay” handshake like shaking some guys hand then smacking his ass (no homo) then he should get stoned but really it’s 2019 there is no zina here but just foreign affairs could you really call this haram.

Lum

رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا
It's fine in certain situations like if receiving your degree certificate, or meeting shaking hands with a judge at a ceremony after receiving your citizenship or something. Otherwise, shaking hands should be avoided by everyone because of pathogen transmission - according to a recent study by the CDC, only 35% of men and 65% of women wash their hands after using the washroom.
As for deen, it's not ideal, but we immigrated here partly to practice Islam more freely as our own "Muslim" countries are not so Islam-friendly, so its inevitable having to adapt. If you don't like it here, please feel free to immigrate to the home of hypocrisy in the Middle East where people are routinely enslaved and raped by Arabs who still have the audacity to claim being Muslims.
We should be more concerned about Muslims not being allowed to pray or recite certain surahs critical of dictatorship in some countries.
?

Trending

Latest posts