Shabelle River drying up in Between Jowhar and Balcad

48D7C75F-C37F-41DB-9BDB-D72EB40316B8.jpeg

04160079-6A2B-4984-8F0A-D07CADEEB03F.jpeg

May Allah help our people that are going through droughts all over Somalia. This is disastrous to see.

Zapfox1

I may be wrong but it's highly unlikely
May Allah help our ppl through disastrous times. Many people use the river and farms as a source of feeding and providing for their familyπŸ™πŸΎ

Zapfox1

Not suprised. That’s what happened when you don’t have your shit together and are fighting within. The enemies will take advantage of you. Only Allah knows how many times our hostile neighbors fucked us over xaasidly and taking advantage of our situation for the past 31 years

I heard a while back that ethiopia has built illegal dams over those rivers, so do you think this has to do with ethiopian dams or just a part of the global climate change, anyway somalis need to be vigilant on habashis they will never let us enjoy our resources

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
There will be no Hawiye left by the time Ogaden start farming in Godey. The Habar Gidir MSB brought to Sablaale left for Qoryooley and Janaale 20 years ago due to lack of water. As more water is used by DDSI, the Shabelle's end point will continue to move north. I predict that in less than 10 years, all of Lower Shabelle will be without water for 6 months every year, reducing three growing seasons to one. If Hiraan is beginning to experience a lack of water during the first 4 months of the year, you can assume that the situation is dire in Middle & Lower Shabelle.

Hawiye political/economic power in Somalia is largely due to the Shabelle. What will Hawiye do when Godey takes Balcad's water?

Slowly but surely my predictions are coming true. The Shabelle river's endpoint is slowly moving further north in the Ethiopian dry season (September-March) dry season. In the 1970's the river used to dry up at Sablaale, in the 1990s it dried up near Kurtunwaarey, in the 2000s near Qoryooley, in the 2010s near Afgooye, and now it dries up north of Balcad.

The Shabelle river which could, in the past, be relied upon throughout the year is becoming a seasonal river in Lower and Middle Shabelle. It will have a steady flow only during the Ethiopian rainy season, from late February to early September.

This means:
1- Where you can now theoretically grow 3 crops, you may only get 1 or 2
2- Crops that need water year round, like bananas, mangoes, papaya will become harder to grow

Meanwhile in Godey

Jungle

VIP

This is between balcad and afgooye. Nowhere near Jowhar. The govt should get the sand and rubbish out but they're not going to do that.

Lower Shabelle is most affected at the moment tbf

This guy caught a yaxaas but you can see what afgooye looks like.

Last edited:

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Slowly but surely my predictions are coming true. The Shabelle river's endpoint is slowly moving further north in the Ethiopian dry season (September-March) dry season. In the 1970's the river used to dry up at Sablaale, in the 1990s it dried up near Kurtunwaarey, in the 2000s near Qoryooley, in the 2010s near Afgooye, and now it dries up north of Balcad.

The Shabelle river which could, in the past, be relied upon throughout the year is becoming a seasonal river in Lower and Middle Shabelle. It will have a steady flow only during the Ethiopian rainy season, from late February to early September.

This means:
2- Crops that need water year round, like bananas, mangoes, papaya will become harder to grow

Meanwhile in Godey
I was gonna post about this. Godey has been the source of many investments in recent years, the regions admin wants to make it the lifeline against drought and food insecurity.

Bass

😼
It probably is a combination of the Ethiopian dams and Al-Shabaab and their razing down of trees in the Jubba that has led to this.

Zapfox1

This means:

Meanwhile in Godey
It doesn’t dry up anywhere near balcad lol. It dries up around somewhere inbetween haramka and hawaay which is the border between lower shabelle and middle jubba. But during heavy rainfall it even reaches the mouth of the Jubba river. Trust me I know this lol

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
It doesn’t dry up anywhere near balcad lol. It dries up around somewhere inbetween haramka and hawaay which is the border between lower shabelle and middle jubba. But during heavy rainfall it even reaches the mouth of the Jubba river. Trust me I know this lol
I’m talking about the dry season in Ethiopia, October to February. The Shabelle used to flow during the dry season but it now regularly dries up. I’m not talking about March-September.

The last time the Shabelle reached the Juba was probably 1997.

Trending

Latest posts