Shaax

@Shimbiris Your comment reminded me I had this stored somewhere.

IUVDc7PWRdjdo0AY6GcwWJ9dBMokEpxee1FjU6UCve21QIpiAhZCgY87mdVn055mfJPE8HVAxllgN351bzXi7Ulc-kU9kBOCbOtMMKR7FXiTfLeWMamyZ6ts_6TrxcDa42o9XTyHwEwV4LTjGDFit2I

BbmhTEEOQPRhnLH62H4I3h_mvmrUzn-cpC5pC9GvieVv4Z9UT-XNd0GfxfTRqukxmixTFQRRik-7ebM-8oiPLWimUYgxg7ghJgx2HtMecR7aZseTF8XD8dYle1bN7ggADH-dlFYkXQtupNVVCg5SmJc

FcMjYWhU2uysa_DkMRGtCJjxoMj90ee-IhJhsX-fJEaNHMuKFqKa8dQDkRASinUg6CA_nsXsOLsaW4zitwYwNfv1k0HEg4iAgKRLFRspQp23HexhAL8LrYalOAiYHw3mfxwWbZIQuoo5AV_gGqhE7QE

_hIFbnJYirxv2Z1rmm9LtiriaxaaHAoIHXJBHbMQdQgyXvKrandSkUfL2x-S7g03NfYh9ayy1waEaNF58eY3jWC0wrBieauis7YqnHeHFgmjdW1uu1wWM6c0LVTDGhJYvAEgMbJpTauRA1fay_v_AGs

RkMnKjZV20MVJdAOhZvRmhbai740-Byftj6XxdXWVO3OKSQ-XJqikm04H9fE9MdfNfcB5041prJ2LMaKn1WeSVRsSDvaBa_EzuVqYPKpBLYUzBlujeAAAwTNfL37rk6mUp1p1IDDb2aG2FqeCVAqeLQ

shY6hmZ3Y0RnqRM4GS3XHA-98muLUDDOhcTMIOKNs_4AwgdOtv8xC0_YcZE9fTDaaYmztC96YX7kyfReMKsRlLpemO-w82uA-E3B43hxW_3v__j_rELKX3Bn7ECiDCM0XE9MwDhBLcX7cNFQUJT7axw

OFnAoSxYarP_zvK80VN25vRiOFiEV79Odmx1eshDYijxVeVe-5USSEzsxozPNQDXqSNX94McLn7UBQXYFj30HjRkQp6GvuYiKqxpkXWDpcUQpJPLkBvyZhzJKerGSQLZyEu4_y17afAOtUJwDr6brig

wze5csOsQumqkSgrmeYxQRaXcf00xDaBoSqe1ZQOOWz76kugYX1qUbtVz6DH2zk2n0ZyUQlUEFBgngNEJiy41GPmLS67fryoci03_85IHe3jS1IVoqR26RPRquPf9LgCbnoBsIZfPgOsDVSZLVQr_Ko

Players:
Vd-osyrtOxgUXOxMdFC8HejZGc4Mdy0N1Hcnp8PA1tSAXYhq7DtW4oF-U4p2YhjTWrerN5vv6kRR2oxaQcA-LA8rtqiL_Fy2-fD3TNIIFjZH65GCmtOShG2A93hJfa5Q_gJUsuLxRpI-avSgsTk4ty8

kTmffOtXS8zFThfTQDYRzSJwPdhhfOFiLC5kcgyq104I7PNs2RAUwnVO7uugcmOlpaE2Pwrrd9_mKU_wBoJGIFYrDZl_TQtEFlKN1a0QRA1v3AbW5lFve_J6_ljDIV3KCcDV_xzafbDJHNCr7goQCh0

thats really cool i wonder if people still play this game today or smth similar.
Its hard for me to visualise with just these words tho i have to see it in real life to understand

@Moon- I'm mentioning you since you're my engaging buddy on this thread.:icon lol:

The old Romans used to play a similar board game called Nine Men's Morris. The board set-up and parameters are the same, the difference being the game objective and rules. As we can, more likely than not, assume it came from the Romans through the ancient trade in the northern Somali peninsula, it would make sense that Somalis added and removed the original aspects, deviating from the original conditions for the game.

Roman flagon from the 3rd century found in Xiis:
1714725973164.png

1714727148684.png

Stringly, it is one of the lasting pieces of evidence that shows it was Somalis that traded with the ancient Romans because we play the game they introduced to this day.

2000-year material continuity preserved through a board game.

There can be an alternative explanation, though less likely, that the game through migration from the Nile Valley since there is a superficial indication that the game could have ultimate roots in ancient Egypt. But I find this less convincing unless we have evidence of other Cushitic groups that have the same game, shown with other games I am going to post.

With regards to other board games that have a strong diverse Cushitic presence is what they call Mancala.
1714727726999.png

This one had to be sourced somewhere in the Nile Valley because we have various Ethiopian groups have it, Somalis call it Layli Goobalay, Rendille, and Cushitic-mixed people have it in Kenya, but last but not least, Souch Cushites such as Iraqw play it, and if they have it, then we have to push the age of the game to perhaps 4000 years ago, or more in terms of how long our it has been played among Cushites.

Unlike Mancala, where it has a diverse Cushitic presence across the board, where one can easily infer an interpretation of an origin from southward migration from the Nile Valley; if Shaax does not have this presence among Cushitics away from the coast, then I'm not going to assume it came from migration but through Roman trade contacts.

did women play these boardgames too ?
It was restricted to men only. Women were excluded from playing.
Shax is played exclusively by men. One Somali male player of shax has offered the following explanation:
"First, women keep aloof from playing it perhaps because, like chess, it stands for war and thus calls for a quick and sharp mind to conduct tactical and strategic planning.
Secondly, this may be so because, like all games, it is a time killer and women hardly afford, at least in the good old traditions, the luxury to let time pass-by unutilised."