Serving other, Being served & Devil

Excerpt from Yunus Punawale's speeches and my notes.

"Our attitude is to elevate ourselves not be humble. Self aggrandizement is dangerous. What was downfall of the devil? It wasn't stealing, drinking alcohol, fornication, murder. It was only one statement ruined years of his worship.

"I am better than him" (38:76) This statement was cause of him being deprived.

"[Allah] said, "Then depart from heaven, for indeed, you are expelled"." (15:34)

To have very high opinion of oneself is punishment of Allah! (Alludes to arrogance not confidence)

To be deluded with oneself, finding faults in others, considering oneself to be clever and others foolish. This is why being of service is important. By serving other, this rids arrogance and nurtures humility in a person. Through this, hearts are won over.

(a) Serving others

When students came to visit Yusuf Kandhlawi, author of Hayatus Sahabah, he would observe. Is this individual serving others food and drink? Then he would approve and be pleased that student is treading correctly.

(b) Being served

But if students sat down such that others serve him. He would disapprove that."

Despite Prophet (saw) having enormous task of guidance for humanity. Prophet (saw) would take time to serve his family.

Al-Aswad bin Yazid said I asked Aisha (rad) 'What did Prophet (saw) use to do at home?' She said, 'He used to work for his family..' (Bukhari 5363)

Despite Khadijah (rad) being one of wealthiest woman, she would serve her husband Prophet (saw).

Abu Huraira reported: The Angel Gabriel came to the Prophet (saw) and he said, “O Messenger of Allah, here is Khadijah coming to you with a dish of stew, food and drink...” (Muslim 2432)

Trending

Latest posts