Scientists Made a Mouse That's 4% Human

Wow 4%. This reminds me of an article I’ve read online.

Freckled fur:
The researchers derived neural crest cells from the skin cells of an African-American individual and injected them into 8.5-day-old white mouse embryos that were genetically engineered to lack precursors to pigmented skin cells. Of the 41 resulting mice, 15 had specks of black fur and carried human DNA in an estimated 0.1 percent of their coat cells.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
We already share over 97% of our genes with Mice.

Add another percentage and you get chimps.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Reminds of David Brin's Uplift series. It will soon be possible to create primates that are on the threshold of human intelligence. Inserting a couple of hundred or so genes that are expressed in the human brain into chimps or gorillas could result in a chimp or a gorilla that can communicate with humans. There is probably going to have be some kind of international convention on bioethics soon, some of these experiments can be done in a garage.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Reminds of David Brin's Uplift series. It will soon be possible to create primates that are on the threshold of human intelligence. Inserting a couple of hundred or so genes that are expressed in the human brain into chimps or gorillas could result in a chimp or a gorilla that can communicate with humans. There is probably going to have be some kind of international convention on bioethics soon, some of these experiments can be done in a garage.

If you don't care about the success rate you could probably do it today with CRISPR.

I doubt China will abide by a convention that will prevent them from creating super indhoyar as they'll use these experiments to learn more about the human brain. I.e. brute force research.

More concerned with pandemics that will be created in garages using the same tech.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
If you don't care about the success rate you could probably do it today with CRISPR.

I doubt China will abide by a convention that will prevent them from creating super indhoyar as they'll use these experiments to learn more about the human brain. I.e. brute force research.

More concerned with pandemics that will be created in garages using the same tech.

The Chinese are throwing everything at biotech. They understand that it is a new field and that they can overtake the west there. They are already collecting the whole genomes of high IQ individuals and cataloging where they differ from the average person. China also has an advantage in that their people have no religious problems with genetic human modification. 21st century is the last century where humans will have sex to have children. You will probably go to your local geneticist for procreation.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
The Chinese are throwing everything at biotech. They understand that it is a new field and that they can overtake the west there. They are already collecting the whole genomes of high IQ individuals and cataloging where they differ from the average person. China also has an advantage in that their people have no religious problems with genetic human modification. 21st century is the last century where humans will have sex to have children. You will probably go to your local geneticist for procreation.

We'll probably be able to carry out germline edits within humans and still procreate normally.

They already tried it a couple years ago on some inherited diseases.

By the 22nd century I doubt we'll even need this stuff as we would've transcended into the ether by then.

"However, none of the developing germline tissueβ€”which goes on to create eggs or spermβ€”contained traces of human cells. That's somewhat reassuring, since chimeras with the ability to reproduce could become an ethical nightmare."

Was lowkey hoping to see what would happen here if the cells were passed on but I guess it is a step too far. I reckon there's already been many advanced cases of this happening that we just don't know of.

Trending

Latest posts