Save the Somali Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Maymay will be eliminated in due time, it does not have the backing of the federal government. Even in Baydhabo elementary school children are taught only real Af Somali not some disgusting half oromo dialect. Maymay is an island in a sea of Af Somali, it will probably disappear in two generations.

Nothing against may may, but we must strive for total homogeneity.

Apollo

VIP
Nothing against may may, but we must strive for total homogeneity.

France, Germany, and Italy basically killed off their regional languages by banning them from the education system. That's the only way. Parents will stop teaching their children shitty dialects if it blocks their social mobility. However, since Somalia's education system is so shit, it's not going to be an effective strategy in Somalia.

Zuleikha

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
There is a difference between speaking/writing/reading the somali language than learning and having the knowledge of the somali literature. Obviously the latter is dying; take a look at the recent somali songs for instance.

Odeg

Gedo
What about Af Maay though? They are borderline a completely different language and something like 1 in 5 people in Somalia speak it as a native language. It's a threat to the Somali language more than anything else.
I allways viewed af may as the proper somali language with no foreign words or syntax. I want to learn it aswell. May it live long.

Apollo

VIP
I allways viewed af may as the proper somali language with no foreign words or syntax. I want to learn it aswell. May it live long.

It's just an earlier branch of Somali. Not necessarily proper old Somali. Just like Danish and Swedish are different, one is not more originally Norse than the other.

Odeg

Gedo
It's just an earlier branch of Somali. Not necessarily proper old Somali. Just like Danish and Swedish are different, one is not more originally Norse than the other.
What im saying is thats a branch that we should perserve. Not to be viewed as threat.

Odeg

Gedo
For the economy it is better if everyone speaks the same language (standard form). Think of labeling, labour mobility etc....
I get your point but its not really a big issue and to perserve afmay far outweights that in importance imo.

VixR

Veritas
The irony that ppl are using scare tactics for the preservation of Somali as to be a dying out language whilst bemoaning the very existence of May dialect. Shaqolaan folk.,

We have one of the highest birth rates in the world. We are expected to be 50 million in 2050. It's no where near dying.

But I wouldn't call it a language. There's 5 different ways of spelling any word. I can start typing water as "biyoh" on Facebook and it'll become mainstream and no one will challenge it and you'll start seeing news sites and TV stations writing it like that.

Somali "language" is like Ebonics. They are both in the same list

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
We have one of the highest birth rates in the world. We are expected to be 50 million in 2050. It's no where near dying.

But I wouldn't call it a language. There's 5 different ways of spelling any word. I can start typing water as "biyoh" on Facebook and it'll become mainstream and no one will challenge it and you'll start seeing news sites and TV stations writing it like that.

Somali "language" is like Ebonics. They are both in the same list

What a donkey comment :ohlord:

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/720/1/QAAMUUSKA AF-SOOMAALIGA[1].pdf

This dictionary helped me a lot. Make use of it ya donkey :ufdup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts