Salt production in Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton Eyed Joe

More law, less justice.
VIP
In 1930, an Italian firm called "Società Saline e Industrie della Somalia settentrionale Migiurtina" ("Saline Companies and Industries of Northern Somalia Migiurtina") invested huge capital to exploit salt deposits in Dante and Hurdiyo. The Hafun Salt Factory was created and was the main producing facility of sea salt on the world in the 1930s. By 1933 or 1934, the Dante salt works were producing more than 200,000 metric tons of salt, most of which was exported to India & the Far East.[2]

The industrial facility gave work to 600 Italians and 2000 natives (nearly all the native males in Hafun), giving a huge boost to the local Somalian economy: Dante grew to more than 5000 inhabitants in 1939. Electrical plants were built in the Dante area for the facility, together with an acqueduct, solving the semi-desert area problems for the first time in its history. The production reached nearly half a million tons per year in the late 1930s and was supposed to increase in the 1940s, but World War II stopped it.

In 1930, an Italian firm called "Società Saline e Industrie della Somalia settentrionale Migiurtina" ("Saline Companies and Industries of Northern Somalia Migiurtina") invested huge capital to exploit salt deposits in Dante and Hurdiyo. The Hafun Salt Factory was created and was the main producing facility of sea salt on the world in the 1930s. By 1933 or 1934, the Dante salt works were producing more than 200,000 metric tons of salt, most of which was exported to India & the Far East.[2]

The industrial facility gave work to 600 Italians and 2000 natives (nearly all the native males in Hafun), giving a huge boost to the local Somalian economy: Dante grew to more than 5000 inhabitants in 1939. Electrical plants were built in the Dante area for the facility, together with an acqueduct, solving the semi-desert area problems for the first time in its history. The production reached nearly half a million tons per year in the late 1930s and was supposed to increase in the 1940s, but World War II stopped it.

What's the reason stopping PL from re constructing the plant?

Sounds promising.

Money and good businessmen

That's disappointing, this project is veasable, we could even export to our African market, salt is a big demand in Africa.

And the investment isn't that ridiculous, I think a million dollar would jump start it if not less. Between 20 businessmen it would be like $50k

Ps I hope we don't also import salt:bell:

Cotton Eyed Joe

More law, less justice.
VIP
That's disappointing, this project is veasable, we could even export to our African market, salt is a big demand in Africa.

And the investment isn't that ridiculous, I think a million dollar would jump start it if not less. Between 20 businessmen it would be like $50k

These protects create massive investment which fuels our economy.

Cotton Eyed Joe

More law, less justice.
VIP
The hafun island and its coastline around is promising but neglected.

Salt, fisheries and also tourism yet, investment is stuck between the glk- boss road
It's ver y far from most PL towns, PL could have had diaspora tourism but the leadership and business community are not thinking about that stuff they want short term businesses like hotels and restaurants and not a long term business that can have a huge impact on the people. Thy lack total vision in our region.

It's ver y far from most PL towns, PL could have had diaspora tourism but the leadership and business community are not thinking about that stuff they want short term businesses like hotels and restaurants and not a long term business that can have a huge impact on the people. Thy lack total vision in our region.

hotels and restaurant are not bad when you invest it in picturesque locations like garacad and eyl not dusty towns, you're right there's no visions.

But we also have to keep in mind that no infrastructure whatsoever was implemented in PL after colonial time, and the Brits took apart the little infrastructure we had during ww2.

It's a long way ahead for us to have an fully functional infrastructure that can serve the state but the annoying part is we're not even taking the baby steps but instead we're always building a ceel in the middle of nowhere literally.

Last edited:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Energy costs in Bari should be very low. It is one of the windiest places in the world and has very high solar radiation. The problem is the lack of capital to start any large scale industry like salt production. Only the gov of Puntland has the money to start up something like this, but they don't have the competence necessary. We need banks in Somalia, the lack of access to capital is a huge barrier to development.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland

Sounds promising.[/QUOTE] Honestly i dont think one million will cut it, looks like the British bomb it to hell
800px-Hafun2.jpg

[QUOTE="Von, post: 838384, member: 3388"Sounds promising.[/QUOTE] Honestly i dont think one million will cut it, looks like the British bomb it to hell
800px-Hafun2.jpg
[/QUOTE]]

They dismantled it, and you're right it's more then a million but that's the large scale, but small scale factory wouldn't be ridiculously expensive a mill would be max I think.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
[QUOTE="Von, post: 838384, member: 3388"Sounds promising.
Honestly i dont think one million will cut it, looks like the British bomb it to hell
800px-Hafun2.jpg
[/QUOTE]]

They dismantled it, and you're right it's more then a million but that's the large scale, but small scale factory wouldn't be ridiculously expensive a mill would be max I think.[/QUOTE]
Did some search couldn't find the exact cost but it would be around 10- 25 million dollars to build a large sized one.

Honestly i dont think one million will cut it, looks like the British bomb it to hell
800px-Hafun2.jpg
]

Did some search couldn't find the exact cost but it would be around 10- 25 million dollars to build a large sized one.[/QUOTE]

Yea you're most likely right that's the figure I got too,

Still $25m is not a lot as its turnover would be some ten fold of the initial investment.

And this product does not even need marketing or no need to go far, there's a high salt demand in mainland Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending