Salafism and Anti-Salafism (long post)

I want to mention first- there are multiple types of anti-salafism.

but before that, what do we mean by salafism or salafiyyah?

salafiyyah can mean literally- following the salaf. nothing to do with any country named Saudi Arabia or Sheikh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab or Sheikh Ibn Baz, etc. salafiyyah in this meaning is literally- following the way of the salaf. different people might have differing views of what following the salaf means in its details, as is in what is the proper salaf-conformant view in this or that issue... but it is unacceptable for anyone to reject the concept of following the salaf in itself. every Muslim has to follow the way of the salaf. and people who don't have gone the wrong way. wallahi whoever leaves following the salaf has gone the wrong route.

anyways, that's salafiyyah in the literal sense.

then there's salafiyyah as in.... Sheikh Ibn Taymiyyah, Sheikh Muhammad ibn abdul Wahhab, Albani, Sheikh Ibn Baz, etc....

and so just as salafiyyah actually can refer to multiple things, anti-salafiyyah actually can be multiple things.

and a lot of anti-salafiyyah/anti-salafism.... it conflates these two meanings of salafiyyah. so under the pretext of opposing certain scholars from Saudi- it actually opposes the principle itself of following the salaf.

Yasir Qadhi I think is an excellent example of this. Sheikh Ibn Baz and them are not infallible. If you have a criticism of the Salafi scholars in Saudi- the criticism may or may not be valid. They're not infallible. If someone can show that they're truly not following the salaf- then we should reject the incorrect view and follow the way of the salaf.

But Yasir Qadhi criticizes them and instead of showing some way in which they contradict the salaf- notice how YQ criticizes them but then goes on to blatantly not care about following the salaf. YQ is a modernist who openly talks about trying to reform Islam- to appease Westerners.... so YQ doesn't even pretend to follow the salaf. he isn't retarded, it's blatantly obvious his views aren't in line with the salaf and he clearly doesn't care.

so a lot of anti-salafism is like that. whoever is like that has gone the wrong road. I don't at all think it's necessary to follow the Saudi scholars specifically but whoever uses criticizing them as a cover for rejecting the principle in and of itself of following the salaf.... this is a person who has gone down the wrong road and leads others people astray.

if you reject salafiyyah in the sense that you don't even think we should follow the salaf and you want to try to make up a new version of Islam... I am staunchly your opponent and your way is very seriously wrong. and I don't want this thread to be a pretext for that kind of thing.

as for salafiyyah as in Sheikh Ibn Taymiyyah, Sheikh Ibn Baz, etc.... I think I have a balanced view. I respect the Hanbali madhhab but I identify with the Maliki madhhab and I don't think I rely on those scholars (Ibn Baz and them) as much as people who call me a "Saudi-Wahhabi" think I do. but honestly I think Sheikh Ibn Baz and them... they are Hanbalis, I don't think what they have said is really anything that is out-there or unusual. I notice a lot of "Wahhabis exposed" content is from Asharis and... we've come to find out, the Ashari aqeedah which is the basis from which these types attack salafis- the Ashari aqeedah is very seriously wrong. at the same time, I don't think we really need modern scholars except when it comes to modern issues (such as current events, bitcoin, etc.).

ok but.... however... then there's modern salafis. or certain modern "salafis". "you must not boycott McDonalds without the ruler's permission"... "anyone who criticizes the Saudi gov (but not other govs) is a khariji".... SPUBS.... Ruhayli..... it's a disaster.

look at the insane infighting

so this guy is versus Abu Zaid

Abu Zaid is versus One Dawah

all of these are "Madkhali" modern "salafis".....

and "Madkhali" is not referring to all modern salafis... it's referring to a specific group within the modern salafis.... so this is insane....

you have Oman Hakimi vs Abu Zaid vs One Dawah

and all are within the same subgroup of modern salafis.... honestly I am baffled and I find this all mind-boggling

also, look why the guy attacks Abu Zaid...

he attacks Abu Zaid for encouraging people to go directly to the scholars instead of SPUBS. I think SPUBS is a cancer. I think this shows... hypocrisy not like nifaq..... I don't mean hypocrisy in that sense but in the conventional english sense of inconsistency.... the SPUBS people want everyone to think their ideology is all about following the scholars... but meanwhile actually they don't want you to directly follow the scholars, they want you to follow them

Good post. A lot of confusion is started because of a misunderstanding of what "Salafism" is. People call it orthodox or radical Islam, while in truth, it is the baseline of the religion.

I think the term Salafism, is mostly used in the West, in Islamic countries it does not get used often. Its meant to categorize active Muslims in their faith from the sadly plurality of people who do not fully adhere to it.

Being anti-Salafi is a weird term indeed. Either you're not a Muslim, in which case that person's entire view on how Islam should be practiced is thrown out of the window. "Reformers," "liberal" Muslims are just fifth columns undermining us all; they're so blatant even a blind man could see them.

I disagree with this point, though: "I don't think we really need modern scholars except when it comes to modern issues."
The rise of the internet has created too many internet imams who lack the breadth of knowledge, experience, and context understanding making rulings, giving dawah, or even takfiring someone.
Anything seriously important needs to be deferred to some kind of scholar instead of trying to jerry-rig your own ruling.

Last edited:
I hate making things too complex
Salaf is someone who follows the way of the prophet and companions simple. Anything else is mental masturbation.

I don't know if he really said it but the famous quote attributed to Einstein is "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

The reality is complex. We have to look at things in a way that gets a little complex sometimes to understand things. If you don't want to read a long post I get it but... if what you said is all a person understands, they're not going to grasp what's going on. I don't think understanding things as they are is mental masturbation, mental zina or any other sort of deviancy.

Good post. A lot of confusion is started because of a misunderstanding of what "Salafism" is. People call it orthodox or radical Islam, while in truth, it is the baseline of the religion.

Yes, it's very misunderstood.

I think the term Salafism, is mostly used in the West,

with the "ism" yes... but "Salafiyyah".... no it's definitely not particular to the West. I get there's a lot of salafi preachers in the West but the homebase of the dawah salafiyyah is Saudi Arabia and then from there it spread throughout the world including to Yemen, Somalia and all over the world. it's a pretty big movement. it isn't particular to the West but it does have a presence in the west as well. it is a global movement.

in Islamic countries it does not get used often. Its meant to categorize active Muslims in their faith from the sadly plurality of people who do not fully adhere to it.

Being anti-Salafi is a weird term indeed.

the term is not the point, "anti-salafism" is just something I made up as a shorthand way of saying "opposition to salafiyyah". I'm not saying anyone calls themselves that- but there are a number of people who are opposed to salafiyyah.

Either you're not a Muslim, in which case that person's entire view on how Islam should be practiced is thrown out of the window. "Reformers," "liberal" Muslims are just fifth columns undermining us all; they're so blatant even a blind man could see them.

I disagree with this point, though: "I don't think we really need modern scholars except when it comes to modern issues."
The rise of the internet has created too many internet imams who lack the breadth of knowledge, experience, and context understanding making rulings, giving dawah, or even takfiring someone.
Anything seriously important needs to be deferred to some kind of scholar instead of trying to jerry-rig your own ruling.

I think it depends if you know something. like if you know how to make wudu and you really do know it- you can teach it for example to someone who is first learning. or for example takfir as you mentioned. ppl think things like "only scholars can make takfir"... takfir is something you have to be really careful about but laymen can make takfir in certain cases. and some cases it may be obligatory. anyways, for example the qadianis- the qadianis are kuffar. we don't have to be scholars to call the qadianis kaffirs- and the scholars have already made it clear they are non-Muslims.

You're right that we do need scholars. what I meant was more.... as far as fataawa I don't think we really have to be dependent on modern scholars unless it comes specifically to modern issues. I mean for example when it comes to praying, fasting, zakah... we have the madahib, I don't think we really need to rely on modern scholars. but when it comes to certain other things, we definitely need scholars. we do and we don't (as far as modern ones).

I blame Yasir Qadhi for spear heading anti “salafi” rhetoric. It was him who was the largest western islamic imam publically criticizing and slander shaykh muhammad ibn abdul wahab and conflating his dawah as khawarij.

go to 0:30 in the second video he said he left it cuz he didn’t find it intellectually stimulating and was harsh on other interpretations of the quran lol

I’ve found these worshippers of the hana i madhab who do the same thing you claim and act as if the salafiyyah his wrong.
he even goes so far to tell ppl don’t study in medina audubilah

Last edited:
Salafi is just extremism. Salafis act all miskiin; until they suddenly have the upper hand, and then they are the most bloodthirsty and violent lot.

Salafism is a moronic movement created by Saudis. The Saudis created it so that they can export terrorism to other Muslim countries and never have it in their own boarders, because the moronic Salafis worship everything Saudi.

I blame Yasir Qadhi for spear heading anti “salafi” rhetoric. It was him who was the largest western islamic imam publically criticizing and slander shaykh muhammad ibn abdul wahab and conflating his dawah as khawarij.

go to 0:30 in the second video he said he left it cuz he didn’t find it intellectually stimulating and was harsh on other interpretations of the quran lol

I’ve found these worshippers of the hana i madhab who do the same thing you claim and act as if the salafiyyah his wrong.
he even goes so far to tell ppl don’t study in medina audubilah

Yasir Qadhi saw the light and finally saw through Salafism aka Saudism.

And nobody should study in Medinah. Studying in Medinah since the 1970s is what exported suicide bombing, violence and chaos to Muslim countries like Somalia.

And just like good lap dogs....they teach them in Medinah never to bring the chaos to Saudi Arabia.

Trending