Report 1 in 3 somalis have mental illness

What is the mental illness percentage

• Total voters
Mental illness is no joke and it's unfortunately something majority of people, especially the older Somali generation don't take seriously enough. The stigma that is attached with seeking help coupled with the belief that a person just needs to be more religious means a person can't get the help they may desperately need. @SOULSEARCHING is absolutely right, an older member of your family's refusal to seek the help they need is something they pass down to their kids unknowingly.

I honestly feel like weekly or at least monthly meetings with psychotherapists should become mandatory for every single person in a civilized society. The benefits simply far outweighs any cons. Knowing your weak points, your temper, the different ways you think, understand, etc is valuable knowledge that seeks to only make you a better healthier person.
I absolutely agree many people dont know how to channels their emotions in a non negative way.

No community is immune to mental illness
What varies is how seriously its taken and adressed instead of repressing
I never said anything about immunity :ohno:

I'm just saying that it isn't as widespread or as common as it is in more developed countries. The worries and burdens of life differ significantly in different places, so developed mental illness are typically absent in more social and busy places. Life is hard in Somalia. People often are too busy with surviving and staying alive to allocate time to develop mental illnesses like depression and anxiety.

Plus, we are culturally more social and warm to each other than other cultures, so that knocks off a bunch of illnesses born in cultures that are too cold and distant to each other.

As for hereditary diseases, again, it's not very common simply because we have a bigger genetics pool than Europeans and Asians. Mental illness awareness is important but it is not as much of an issue in Somali as it is in European countries.

Last edited: