Rendille Language/Lyrics

I'm just curious as a Non-Somali how similar is this language to Af-Somali. Do you all understand what this Rendille man is saying? I just want to know if the linguistic link is strong or has their language is now completely distinct.

Thank you :) .

1)
2)

All you need to know

1692935816767.png

Thank you. I just wanted to know if the languages are mutually intelligible. According to your source, they should be. Fascinating.
It’s not 100% correct. Semitic language students tell me Berber is the closest to Semitic and then Cushitic. In other words Cushitic is closer to Semitic than Egyptian or Chadic as shown on this graph.

Cush

Cushite Arab
I'm just curious as a Non-Somali how similar is this language to Af-Somali. Do you all understand what this Rendille man is saying? I just want to know if the linguistic link is strong or has their language is now completely distinct.

1)
2)
Wa carab oo naga lumeen according to sources many christian Arabs migrated over the red sea to East Africa where else could they be?

1)
2)
Thank you for asking this question.

Af Soomaali and Rendille are distinct languages, not readily comprehensible to each other. Nevertheless, I can grasp some words in casual conversation between Rendille speakers. I've even had the opportunity to listen to the Bible translated into Rendille, and I found that I could understand many of the words. Interestingly, there are several words shared between Rendille and Somali languages.

I've also been following a Rendille content creator on TikTok. She often compares Rendille words with Somali equivalents. Some of the words she discusses belong to archaic Somali, not commonly used by modern Somali speakers. These words are often found in historical Somali poetry and proverbs. Additionally, there are instances where words in both languages sound similar, but their meanings have diverged significantly. For instance, the Rendille expression for "I love you" can be quite different in Somali, suggesting a romantic or sexual desire.

Moreover, there are words that are essentially the same in both languages, although they may have slight pronunciation variations. Examples include "hooyo" (mother), "Haye" (yes), "Eebe" (God), "doon" (want), "bari" (East), and so on

note
-Afsoomaali has three dialects. Majority of Somalis speak Afmaxaa dialect. I speak afmaxaa.
- you posted rendille music. Music is similar to Somali music. Music itself is different language within a language. I can’t understand a single thing.

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the information. I was curious about this topic because of the "Rendille migration out of Somalia" (folk)lore and wondered if the two ethnic groups could communicate by way of language. Many thanks to backgroundISneeded. Your response was very informative. I appreciate the information.

Trending

Latest posts