Remarks at a UN Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Somalia

https://usun.usmission.gov/remarks-at-a-un-security-council-briefing-on-the-situation-in-somalia-5/

The highlights from this brief are praise for the completiom of the financial and military reforms recommended by the IC. Praise for the non-violence in the elections of SouthWest State (#RahenweynLivesMatter), Jubbaland (Madoobe is offically recogized as President) and Galmudug. The handover of security from AMISOMA to the SNA remains behind schedule due to a myriad of reasons, chief being the use of the current SNA to settle clan ties by Farmaajo as seen below.

IMG_20200224_225752.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to add that the some of the proposed models for elections are unacceptable and may be a ploy to ensure that an extension occurs. In addition debt relief will not move forward without the approval and coordination of FMS. This may mean debt relief in the future will allow Federal states to be capable of acessing loans and grants independent of the FGS.

Last edited:
Why did you leave out the statement directly before this excerpt? The United States has officially recognized the Somaliland region as one of the Federal Member states (FMS) and has commended the FGS President in his outreach efforts to all FMS states in which he recently met with SL region Governor Muse bihi Abdi.

bihi.png

All in all the US commends the FGS on their many reforms when it comes to the armed leadership and financial accountability and obviously point out a few areas that they view could use some speeding up.

relief.png

ops.png

Why did you leave out the statement directly before this excerpt? The United States has officially recognized the Somaliland region as one of the Federal Member states (FMS) and has commended the FGS President in his outreach efforts to all FMS states in which he recently met with SL region Governor Muse bihi Abdi.

View attachment 95737

All in all the US commends the FGS on their many reforms when it comes to the armed leadership and financial accountability and obviously point out a few areas that they view could use some speeding up.

View attachment 95738

View attachment 95739
I did mention praise for the military and financial reforms. I did miss the Somaliland part but I chose to focus on the army being in Gedo while operations stalled in Lower Shabelle because it highlights that the FGS is more focused on settling political scores versus fighting Al Shabaab.

I did mention praise for the military and financial reforms. I did miss the Somaliland part but I chose to focus on the army being in Gedo while operatioms stalled in Lower Shabelle because it highlights that the FGS is more focused on settling political scores versus fighting Al Shabaab.

They are not focused on settling "political scores" since it's all about security at the end of the day. Nothing makes the Lower Shabelle more strategically important than the Middle Juba and the FGS has a duty to all of citizens to show fairness in terms of military endeavors.

There are forces native to Lower Shabelle that have been fighting in that region for several years, the FGS chose to send a portion of the military native to Jubbaland to fight in the middle Juba since that is just as important as the Lower shabelle and also has insurgents that need to be cleansed. This area has had no focus from the FGS whatsoever which is not fair since they are the government in charge of the whole country. The new military leadership has made an excellent tactical choice in choosing to now finally operate in the middle Juba and have been building a brigade (5000+ troops) in the Gedo region where all 7 districts are secure and will be entering the middle juba region to place a real administration the capital of that gobol buuale.

There are forces native to Lower Shabelle that have been fighting in that region for several years, the FGS chose to send a portion of the military native to Jubbaland to fight in the middle Juba since that is just as important as the Lower shabelle and also has insurgents that need to be cleansed. This area has had no focus from the FGS whatsoever which is not fair since they are the government in charge of the whole country. The new military leadership has made an excellent tactical choice in choosing to now finally operate in the middle Juba and have been building a brigade (5000+ troops) in the Gedo region where all 7 districts are secure and will be entering the middle juba region to place a real administration the capital of that gobol buuale.
The FGS was sending SNA not native to Jubbaland to fight insurgents without coordinating with Jubbaland regional forces which saw no new gains except a lot of videos of people welcoming troops. However the new move to coordinate the SNA with Jubbaland forces is seeing overwhelming success (re: the capture of Jamaame) and if this continues then it will be a matter of time before all of Jubbaland is free of insurgents. In addition you are correct that this is the first time that regional and federal forces worked hand in hand in Jubbaland and the extremely quick capture of Jamaame is testament to it. But we can not forget this cooperation was enforced by Townsend and Africom and that the FGS planned on using its forces to destabilize Jubbaland as per the report.

The FGS was sending SNA not native to Jubbaland to fight insurgents without coordinating with Jubbaland regional forces which saw no new gains except a lot of videos of people welcoming troops. However the new move to coordinate the SNA with Jubbaland forces is seeing overwhelming success (re: the capture of Jamaame) and if this continues then it will be a matter of time before all of Jubbaland is free of insurgents. In addition you are correct that this is the first time that regional and federal forces worked hand in hand in Jubbaland and the extremely quick capture of Jamaame is testament to it. But we can not forget this cooperation was enforced by Townsend and Africom and that the FGS planned on using its forces to destabilize Jubbaland as per the report.

I have close links to people and journalists on the ground and 97% of troops stationed in the Gedo region are native to the region. More locals are signing up daily and the FGS is ensuring all troops are registered through biometric scanning whilst delivering new shipments of Weaponry and equipment. The operation to Buuale is much easier from the Baardheere district which is 100% in government troop hands. There are FGS troops and FGS Danab troops stationed in the Lower Jubba but they are not working with the KDF backed madoobe group. They are independent of each other and have differing command schemes.

The former Jubaland administration is no longer representing the region, they only represent madoobes and the KDF interests. The former leader madoobe held a self-coronation in which no real candidates were involved and has been working closely with the Kenyan government to undermine the FGS. Thus ensuring no recognition by the FGS will ever happen. Which is still true. The FGS must intervene and will continue to intervene to set up a recognized and stable administration in the region because the people want them there. They have done a great job in ensuring a stable administration is working in the SWS and Galmudug regions as well.

I have close links to people and journalists on the ground and 97% of troops stationed in the Gedo region are native to the region. More locals are signing up daily and the FGS is ensuring all troops are registered through biometric scanning whilst delivering new shipments of Weaponry and equipment. The operation to Buuale is much easier from the Baardheere district which is 100% in government troop hands. There are FGS troops and FGS Danab troops stationed in the Lower Jubba but they are not working with the KDF backed madoobe group. They are independent of each other and have differing command schemes.

The former Jubaland administration is no longer representing the region, they only represent madoobes and the KDF interests. The former leader madoobe held a self-coronation in which no real candidates were involved and has been working closely with the Kenyan government to undermine the FGS. Thus ensuring no recognition by the FGS will ever happen. Which is still true. The FGS must intervene and will continue to intervene to set up a recognized and stable administration in the region because the people want them there. They have done a great job in ensuring a stable administration is working in the SWS and Galmudug regions as well.

May I have your source for 97%? What is known is that the FGS moved SNA troops from their focused offensive in Lower Shabelle to the Gedo region which was under Jubbaland through the use of local clan militas. What occurred recently is that the FGS began incorporating these clan militas into the SNA, which would normally be a laudable achievement, registering them and tracking the use of their firearms however rather than training them properly and giving them discipline they were given a uniform and became official troops. Furthermore it is well reported that the Jamaame offensive was through the cooperation of regional and federal troops (Danab).

President Madoobe has been recognized by the US and UN, the two main providers of aid and troop support (airstrikes). Recognition from the FGS does not matter unless they plan on violently disposing him using clan militas given uniforms and the SNA. Gedo region may be loyal to the FGS due to the clan ties they share with President Farmaajo but that does not mean they are allowed to run roughshod in peaceful Lower Jubba and Kismayo to help him place his own puppet in the region. In addition SWS and Galmudug are two states where their presidents were hand chosen by the FGS through unconstitutional means. President Madoobe refused that process and earned the FGS's hostility and aggression.

May I have your source for 97%? What is known is that the FGS moved SNA troops from their focused offensive in Lower Shabelle to the Gedo region which was under Jubbaland through the use of local clan militas. What occurred recently is that the FGS began incorporating these clan militas into the SNA, which would normally be a laudable achievement, registering them and tracking the use of their firearms however rather than training them properly and giving them discipline they were given a uniform and became official troops. Furthermore it is well reported that the Jamaame offensive was through the cooperation of regional and federal troops (Danab).

President Madoobe has been recognized by the US and UN, the two main providers of aid and troop support (airstrikes). Recognition from the FGS does not matter unless they plan on violently disposing him using clan militas given uniforms and the SNA. Gedo region may be loyal to the FGS due to the clan ties they share with President Farmaajo but that does not mean they are allowed to run roughshod in peaceful Lower Jubba and Kismayo to help him place his own puppet in the region. In addition SWS and Galmudug are two states where their presidents were hand chosen by the FGS through unconstitutional means. President Madoobe refused that process and earned the FGS's hostility and aggression.

You're obviously not serious if you really believe recognition from the FGS "Doesn't matter" this is not the transitional era where the country's sovereignty was in doubt. The FGS is the only recognized entity that represents Somalia. Madoobe is just one of many political actors in the Jubaland region which happens to be backed by Kenya which has shown their hostility thus making his administration a national security threat that needs to be handled quickly and efficiently. The troop deployments in the Gedo region will continue as there are 600+ troops whose training will be completed in Eritrea very soon. As well as many more shipments of new military equipment and munitions. Once that happens Buuale will be under FGS control and a real administration will be installed there. At that point the south will finally be quelled. A new state that represents all parties in the Jubaland region will be formed whether the opposition likes it or not.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
The FGS must intervene and will continue to intervene to set up a recognized and stable administration in the region because the people want them there. They have done a great job in ensuring a stable administration is working in the SWS and Galmudug regions as well.
There it is. The FGS must intervene in a region that already has a recognized and stable administration? You and the rest of Nabad iyo Nolol couldn't care less about defeating Al Shabaab. Your aim has been, and continues to be, to do what your clan warlord Barre Hiraale could not: capture Kismaayo from Ogaden and control the port. You're using state resources to resolve your petty clan squabbles and the locals are suffering.
https://www.garoweonline.com/en/new...-build-up-in-gedo-over-presence-of-sna-troops
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Hundreds of Balad-Hawo local residents have left their homes over brewing tensions between SNA - Somali National Army troops and Jubaland forces, multiple sources have confirmed, with some taking refuge in Kenya.

For the last two weeks, the tension between the two sides has been high in the border town following the deployment of hundreds of Turkish-trained Somali soldiers by FGS in Mogadishu, a move that irked Jubaland administration.

You're obviously not serious if you really believe recognition from the FGS "Doesn't matter" this is not the transitional era where the country's sovereignty was in doubt. The FGS is the only recognized entity that represents Somalia. Madoobe is just one of many political actors in the Jubaland region which happens to be back by Kenya which has shown their hostility thus making his administration a national security threat that needs to be handled quickly and efficiently. The troop deployments in the Gedo region will continue as there are 600+ troops whose training will be completed in Eritrea very soon. Once that happens Buuale will be under FGS control and a real administration will be installed there. At that point the south will finally be quelled. A new state that represents all parties in the Jubaland region will be formed whether the opposition likes it or not.

Transitional era? The predecessor of the FGS refused to recognize PresidentMadoobe and attempted to incite a civil war in Kismayo using the former warlord Barre Hiraale, eventually he ended up having no choice but to recognize him. The same fate awaits the current FGS and those 600 troops from Eritrea (I wasn't aware they were responsible for the training of SNA troops) will not change the reality on the ground. The SNA is incapable of taking towns without local support and air support from the United States which means Buale will be a pipe dream unless the FGS cooperates with Jubbaland regional forces (assuming Ethiopian troop support will not be involved but if they are than Buale is achievable). I am interested that you see President Madoobe as the only remaining problem in the south versus the very active terrorist group Al Shabaab. This sort of tunnel vision caused by political feuds is what the US was referring to in their report that the SNA is hampered by this sort of nonsensical political bickering.

There it is. The FGS must intervene in a region that already has a recognized and stable administration? You and the rest of Nabad iyo Nolol couldn't care less about defeating Al Shabaab. Your aim has been, and continues to be, to do what your clan warlord Barre Hiraale could not: capture Kismaayo from Ogaden and control the port. You're using state resources to resolve your petty clan squabbles and the locals are suffering.
https://www.garoweonline.com/en/new...-build-up-in-gedo-over-presence-of-sna-troops

Garoweonline is a nonsensical site that spews biased and uncorroborated information.

As for you're allegations regarding my views, your assumption couldn't be further from the truth as usual. I support this administration in making sure there are NO insurgents in the entirety of the region and commend their more hands on approach in dealing with the middle juba problem something the previous JL admin has done nothing about. Also I am totally against ANY AND ALL WARLORDS this includes Ahmed Madoobe which was a leader of shabaab and a militia warlord. He has NO PLACE in post-2020 Somalia politics which is why I once again support the governments position on not acknowledging such a despicable character. A free and fair election will take place in JL where leadership that all groups acknowledge will emerge. All of your other assumptions are rubbish and unsubstantiated.

Transitional era? The predecessor of the FGS refused to recognize PresidentMadoobe and attempted to incite a civil war in Kismayo using the former warlord Barre Hiraale, eventually he ended up having no choice but to recognize him. The same fate awaits the current FGS and those 600 troops from Eritrea (I wasn't aware they were responsible for the training of SNA troops) will not change the reality on the ground. The SNA is incapable of taking towns without local support and air support from the United States which means Buale will be a pipe dream unless the FGS cooperates with Jubbaland regional forces (assuming Ethiopian troop support will not be involved but if they are than Buale is achievable). I am interested that you see President Madoobe as the only remaining problem in the south versus the very active terrorist group Al Shabaab. This sort of tunnel vision caused by political feuds is what the US was referring to in their report that the SNA is hampered by this sort of nonsensical political bickering.

Well if you actually believe he'll be recognized and continue on as if nothing happened than you're in for a surprise. I've been accurate in terms of my previous predictions I am certain about how this situation will unfold as well. In regards to the problems of the south, political stability will solve a lot of the ongoing issues and that is just as true for the insurgency problem as well. All of the southern states such as SWS,HS, JL, and GM will have a much easier time focusing their efforts in the right areas when they work closely with the Federal government. All of the southern states have stable and working relationships with the FGS the only one remaining is JL which is being focused on right now. There are many efforts being undertaken to make sure free and fair elections take place in this region as soon as possible. And the leadership that emerges will have the full backing and confidence of the citizenry and the FGS.

Well if you actually believe he'll be recognized and continue on as if nothing happened than you're in for a surprise. I've been accurate in terms of my previous predictions I am certain about how this situation will unfold as well. In regards to the problems of the south, political stability will solve a lot of the ongoing issues and that is just as true for the insurgency problem as well. All of the southern states such as SWS,HS, JL, and GM will have a much easier time focusing their efforts in the right areas when they work closely with the Federal government. All of the southern states have stable and working relationships with the FGS the only one remaining is JL which is being focused on right now. There are many efforts being undertaken to make sure free and fair elections take place in this region as soon as possible. And the leadership that emerges will have the full backing and confidence of the citizenry and the FGS.
SWS, HS and Galmudug have spent years working closely with the FGS and had less to show for it versus an independent group such as ASWJ:icon lol:. Your predictions of the FGS hijacking the electoral process of baby federal states would have been right either way since they lack any real state apparatus and the only real organized group was bribed with 20 guaranteed seats in Parliament (lots of money plus additional bribes that are unconfirmed at the moment). Political stability means accepting you will have FMS leaders who will not always jump at your beck and call, not amassing troops within their state and attempting to set up a parallel administration. Only thing to occur from this is consistent attacks on SNA bases in Lower Shabelle.

will have FMS leaders who will not always jump at your beck and call, not amassing troops within their state and attempting to set up a parallel administration. Only thing to occur from this is consistent attacks on SNA bases in Lower Shabelle.

I think we are at an impasse due to some fundamental differences in how we can achieve stability and order. I think we should be as clear as possible in this dialogue to get to the heart of the problem. Some leaders are in my assessment unfit to be apart of Somalia going forward and atop that list is madoobe. I believe madoobe can't lead the JL region because of his history as a high ranking member of an Insurgency group (shabab) in which he committed many crimes against humanity. His history as a leader in the ras kamboni milita group which also committed many crimes, as well as his illegal charcoal dealings and obedience to the Kenyan government as some sort of installed figure. All of these reasons including his illiteracy and lack of education make him a horrible candidate to lead a small neighborhood let alone an important region of the country. Why are you a staunch supporter of his?

I think we are at an impasse due to some fundamental differences in stability and order. I think we should be as clear as possible in this dialogue to get to the heart of the problem. I believe madoobe can't lead the JL region because of his history as a high ranking member of an Insurgency group in which he committed many crimes against humanity. His history as a leader in the ras kamboni milita which also committed crimes, as well as his illegal charcoal dealings and obedience to the Kenyan government. All of these reasons including his illiteracy and lack of education make him a horrible leader to lead a small neighborhood let alone an important region of the country. Why are you a staunch supporter of his?
It seems we are at an impasse. Madoobe may or may not be all those things but I am a staunch supporter because he has done what no other warlord has done in Jubbaland, bring much needed stability and order to Kismayo (the economic growth and peace there is a testament to that fact), Lower Jubba and Gedo (the ecoomic growth of Dollow especially). Beyond that you dislike Madoobe for his past yet support the President of Galmudug, Qoor Qoor, a former USC gunner and operator of an isbaaro on Mogadishu seaport? Clearly your support is dependent on whether they have FGS approval and not because of their morals, past and/or leadership ability.

It seems we are at an impasse. Madoobe may or may not be all those things but I am a staunch supporter because he has done what no other warlord has done in Jubbaland, bring much needed stability and order to Kismayo (the economic growth and peace there is a testament to that fact), Lower Jubba and Gedo (the ecoomic growth of Dollow especially). Beyond that you dislike Madoobe for his past yet support the President of Galmudug, Qoor Qoor, a former USC gunner and operator of an isbaaro on Mogadishu seaport? Clearly your support is dependent on whether they have FGS approval and not because of their morals, past and/or leadership ability.

I can see you don't have a proper grip on the history of kismaayo. Madoobe didn't bring order, the KDF tanks he rode on during operation lind nchi and still relies on brought order. Which is why they had to fly from Kista to dhoobley since even the Lower Juba isn't safe for him. And Once they leave and he still tries to claim some sort of leadership role is when there will be a lot of instability. Just like recently when his milita and the milita loyal to Seeraar clashed except on a much larger scale. Which is why he must leave before the AMISOM mandate is over because at that point the inevitable will happen once his muscle is gone. And to add on he has done absolutely nothing for the Gedo region, tribal militas/SNA native to the region have brought security and order there.

Qoor Qoor has pledged his loyalties to the FGS and is not a stooge for a foreign country, comparing the two is intellectually dishonest.

I can see you don't have a proper grip on the history of kismaayo. Madoobe didn't bring order, the KDF tanks he rode on during operation lind nchi and still relies on brought order. Which is why they had to fly from Kista to dhoobley since even the Lower Juba isn't safe for him. And Once they leave and he still tries to claim some sort of leadership role is when there will be a lot of instability. Just like recently when his milita and the milita loyal to Seeraar clashed except on a much larger scale. Which is why he must leave before the AMISOM mandate is over because at that point the inevitable will happen once his muscle is gone. And to add on he has done absolutely nothing for the Gedo region, tribal militas/SNA native to the region have brought security and order there.

Qoor Qoor has pledged his loyalties to the FGS and is not a stooge for a foreign country, comparing the two is intellectually dishonest.
I am well versed on the history of Kismayo thank you very much. President Madoobe brought unprecedented peace and economic growth to Kismayo when he freed the city from the clutches of warlord Barre Hiraale and his USC allies. The KDF were not involved in any large scale battles but acted as a supply line and deterring force to Al Shabaab. Seraar and Xidig were promised buckets of money yet they still don't control an inch outside their own homes in Kismayo let alone Jubbaland. Nothing for Gedo? Are you denying Abdirashid Janaan who runs those tribal militas did not bring peace and economic growth to Gedo? To the point the locals renamed their airport after him in protest of his unlawful arrest by the FGS.

On Qoor Qoor, thank you for confirming and making it clear beyond a shadow of doubt that your loyalty is based on whether or not a FMS leader has FGS approval and not anything else.

I am well versed on the history of Kismayo thank you very much. President Madoobe brought unprecedented peace and economic growth to Kismayo when he freed the city from the clutches of warlord Barre Hiraale and his USC allies. The KDF were not involved in any large scale battles but acted as a supply line and deterring force to Al Shabaab. Seraar and Xidig were promised buckets of money yet they still don't control an inch outside their own homes in Kismayo let alone Jubbaland. Nothing for Gedo? Are you denying Abdirashid Janaan who runs those tribal militas did not bring peace and economic growth to Gedo? To the point the locals renamed their airport after him in protest of his unlawful arrest by the FGS.

On Qoor Qoor, thank you for confirming and making it clear beyond a shadow of doubt that your loyalty is based on whether or not a FMS leader has FGS approval and not anything else.

The KDF were actively shelling positions with heavy artillery and were involved in gunfights and used armored vehicles including tanks. If thats not involved I don't know what is. Anyways Madoobe ran from the city before while being badly wounded in 06', history has a way of repeating itself.
When did Janan become Madoobe? He was in charge of those militias for a very long time and had the backing of another group in terms of supply's and arms but thats another story.

The country is facing an internal war from insurgents and outright interference from foreign adversaries so of course I'm going to support administrations that believe in cohesion and unity instead of divisiveness and special interests. We're not at a point in which different regions can support our enemies and openly do their bidding. If you're alright with that then we are in a stalemate.

The KDF were actively shelling positions with heavy artillery and were involved in gunfights and used armored vehicles including tanks. If thats not involved I don't know what is. Anyways Madoobe ran from the city before while being badly wounded in 06', history has a way of repeating itself.
When did Janan become Madoobe? He was in charge of those militias for a very long time and had the backing of another group in terms of supply's and arms but thats another story.

The country is facing an internal war from insurgents and outright interference from foreign adversaries so of course I'm going to support administrations that believe in cohesion and unity instead of divisiveness and special interests. We're not at a point in which different regions can support our enemies and openly do their bidding. If you're alright with that then we are in a stalemate.
Sounds like you learned your history of Kismayo from a biased source. Interesting you mention history having a way of repeating itself in light of the increased arms entering Mogadishu and angry natives of the city :icon lol:. Janaan is apart of Madoobe's adminstration no? The country is facing a war from insurgents and the FGS is more focused on everything but fighting those insurgents. Don't take my word for it, reread my first post and the linked article on how the SNA in Gedo is politically motivated and has nothing to do with security and fighting insurgents.

Sounds like you learned your history of Kismayo from a biased source. Interesting you mention history having a way of repeating itself in light of the increased arms entering Mogadishu and angry natives of the city :icon lol:. Janaan is apart of Madoobe's adminstration no? The country is facing a war from insurgents and the FGS is more focused on everything but fighting those insurgents. Don't take my word for it, reread my first post and the linked article on how the SNA in Gedo is politically motivated and has nothing to do with security and fighting insurgents.

My sources are accurate, I've actually been to the city. I don' think you could say the same though. There is always some political motivation in everything government does, this troop movement for example is politically motivated to ensure safety and security for the entire region and make sure free and fair elections take place it's that simple. As for madoobe he's more of a security threat to the nation than even roobow was and you saw how he ended up. The government will never allow a character such as him to work with them and this situation will be resolved soon enough. That will bring the south to a very good place in terms of overall cohesiveness and singular schemes. Gone are the days when foreign countries openly meddle in our affairs by using a propped up puppet. This is not something that will be up for debate.

Trending