Religion of peace

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
This slogan of “Islam is a religion of peace” is deceptive. Some even go as far and say Islam mean peace when it literally means “submission to the will of Allah”.

This one dimensional motto has done harm to the message of islam because it doesn't give the religion an accurate portrayal. It paints us pacifistic easygoing going Buddhists hippies.

A more layered understanding of islam is so much more better. Because being a pacifist in a world of harmful people is ignorant.You would rather be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.A perfect yin and yang of violence and peace.

We must be cautious about how we interpret the Quran. For instance, leftist Muslims interpret things very differently from how the deen actually is. The image of Islam as a religion of bloodshed held by extremist Muslims is likewise untrue.

I feel this interpretation of the deen is fairly new as muslims migrated to the west islam was brought to a new context.We need to fit it within the liberal framework shaving off anything that didn't help it fit.Which is understandable as muslims were heavily scrutinised in America and Europe in the 2000’s and early 2010’s.

Obviously muslims should follow the law of the land. We should also avoid extremities when it comes to the deen. But we should practice it unapologetically and when showing the world our religion we shouldn't lie about what it is.

Islam is a religion of submission to Allah will alone.

This slogan of “Islam is a religion of peace” is deceptive. Some even go as far and say Islam mean peace when it literally means “submission to the will of Allah”.

This one dimensional motto has done harm to the message of islam because it doesn't give the religion an accurate portrayal. It paints us pacifistic easygoing going Buddhists hippies.

A more layered understanding of islam is so much more better. Because being a pacifist in a world of harmful people is ignorant.You would rather be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.A perfect yin and yang of violence and peace.

We must be cautious about how we interpret the Quran. For instance, leftist Muslims interpret things very differently from how the deen actually is. The image of Islam as a religion of bloodshed held by extremist Muslims is likewise untrue.

I feel this interpretation of the deen is fairly new as muslims migrated to the west islam was brought to a new context.We need to fit it within the liberal framework shaving off anything that didn't help it fit.Which is understandable as muslims were heavily scrutinised in America and Europe in the 2000’s and early 2010’s.

Obviously muslims should follow the law of the land. We should also avoid extremities when it comes to the deen. But we should practice it unapologetically and when showing the world our religion we shouldn't lie about what it is.

Islam is a religion of submission to Allah will alone.

I agree with everything here and this is my mindset as well. All I could do is say the same thing you said just with my own wording. I agree with what you said.

I think it's a bad idea to promote Islam as being a Buddhist hippie religion. Islam is not what ISIS would have people think it is... but it very clearly is not buddhist hippie religion either.

And I think this is easy to understand- I would just explain this to the non-Muslims and say Islam isn't in line with either of those extremes. I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to get upset if I tell them that Islam gives people the right to defend themselves.

If people are worried about Islam supposedly having to do with terrorism or with this weird image where they think Muslims believe in just randomly harming whoever isn't Muslim... I would just explain that Islam of course has nothing to do with terrorism. It very clearly doesn't. I think a good example of how those groups distort Islam is how Islam very clearly is against suicide and yet they ignore the prohibitions against suicide and blow themselves up anyways. And as for Muslims supposedly being out to genocide non-Muslims or something, I like to give the example of Al-Andalus where Muslims and Christians lived together and Christians were free to their religion. I think I would also talk about how Islam protects the rights of non-Muslims.

Garaad diinle

 
There is nothing much i can add to your post indeed islam means to submit to the will of allah and not piece. Islam is a realist religion and not a pacifist one in fact i don't know of any world religion that is fully pacifist not even buddhism are pacifist just look at what they're doing to muslims in myanmar.

Calling islam a religion of piece is a dangerous thing cause it paints a false image of islam for muslims that has nothing to do with it's core meaning. They build their interpretation on their perceived peaceful image of islam and might end up denying core tenants of islam in the process.

What does it mean to be peaceful or subscribe to a peaceful religion? Does it mean to turn the other cheek if attacked? To not bear arms in case of wars? If this is what they mean with peaceful and it's an ideal that everyone should strife to how come countries like the usa is armed to teeth instead of turning the other cheek if attacked?

This is nothing more than a western projection on us muslims. For centuries in the west religion on secularism were clashing for dominance in the rule of society. Secularism tried to curb religion and turned into a personalised thing between a person and his lord away from politics. This made many christians to reinterpret their religion in order to conform with the new reality. In other words secularism domesticated religion.

Islam has it's own interpretation of what peaceful means and what it facilitates. Our muslim predecessors stayed in mecca for 10 years being prosecuted while being defenceless and unable to fight. They tried time and time again for all these years to propagate islam in an enemy society to no avail. Eventually the run with their religion into a city where islam became the state religion and fought back these who oppressed them.

In conclusion calling islam a religion of piece is doing it a disservices. Islam covers all facets of life from politics to societal issue and even family and personal issues too. It even covers issues of war and combat. How to defend oneself and how to treat your enemy. We don't turn the other cheek.

The term peaceful is nebulas and have many meanings. If you agree to be judge by this label your making islam an easy bait for people to discredit and stirring away from the core values of islam. It's a tactic to domesticate religion to conform to their interpretation discrediting the correct interpretation of islam.

Islam doesn't need interpretation it already have been interpreted by our predecessors and we only need to study their works to better understand our religion as it was originally rather than interpreting it on the behest of foreigners.

Allah swt said in the quran.

وَأَعِدُّوا لَهُم مَّا اسْتَطَعْتُم مِّن قُوَّةٍ وَمِن رِّبَاطِ الْخَيْلِ تُرْهِبُونَ بِهِ عَدُوَّ اللَّهِ وَعَدُوَّكُمْ وَآخَرِينَ مِن دُونِهِمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَهُمُ اللَّهُ يَعْلَمُهُمْ ۚ وَمَا تُنفِقُوا مِن شَيْءٍ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تُظْلَمُونَ

And make ready against them all you can of power, including steeds of war (tanks, planes, missiles, artillery, etc.) to threaten the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others besides whom, you may not know but whom Allah does know. And whatever you shall spend in the Cause of Allah shall be repaid unto you, and you shall not be treated unjustly.

Last edited: