Rebellion of Hussein Ibn Ali RA

I was just reading about early islamic history and I wondered why Hussain RA insisted on rebelling against the Yazid?
Arent there sahih hadiths about the prophet SAW commanding muslims to obey the ruler even if he is unjust?
Someone explain this to me pls.

Hasan and Yazid's father had a treaty that stated that Yazid's father Muawiya could not establish a monarchy and that the new leader would be selected which did not happen. So he was never recognized as the leader.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hasan and Yazid's father had a treaty that stated that Yazid's father Muawiya could not establish a monarchy and that the new leader would be selected which did not happen. So he was never recognized as the leader.
That’s not the reason for the revolt. Hassan was still willing to support Yazid. He was a Tyrant and the people wanted to support the grandson of the Prophet (SAW). Once he gained support he started to make his move and rid his people of this zandiiq and most likely an enemy of Allah. He almost took over Kufa and was betrayed by the Iraqis and destroyed his trust in him when the backstabbed him and gave him to Yazid’s right hand man.

Long story short, Yazid was a drunkard, adulterer, tyrant who was also alleged to have sex with one of his sisters as well.

AdoonkaAlle

Ragna qowl baa xira, dumarna meher baa xira.
I was just reading about early islamic history and I wondered why Hussain RA insisted on rebelling against the Yazid?
Arent there sahih hadiths about the prophet SAW commanding muslims to obey the ruler even if he is unjust?
Someone explain this to me pls.

Asc walaal long time walaashay qaaliga, waxaan rajaynaya inaad iska fican tahay

Hussein RA and all those from the sahaba, imams (May Allah be pleased with them all) who followed them in that and viewed it permissible to rebel did so on the basis of the ijtihaad. They cited other islamic evidences to support their stance laakin unfortunately due to polarisation of this topic all together you hardly get to hear their reasoning.

Instead of a balanced approach you get a selective portrayal of the evidences, opinions etc by certain groups who not only refuse to acknowledge that there's a difference of opinion but deem anyone who differs from their understanding to be khawarij. I believe the more you read up on both sides of the views, the respective evidence given for each view, understanding of those scholars and how they came to their different conclusions etc will help clear all the uncertainties regarding this topic.

One of the evidence given by those who rebelled and viewed it permissible was the ayah from Surah Al baqrah

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." ( 2:124)

Below is the tafsir of ibn kathir of this ayat

The Unjust do not qualify for Allah's Promise

Allah said that Ibrahim said,
﴿ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِى‌ۖ ﴾

(And of my offspring (to make leaders)) and Allah replied,
﴿ لَا يَنَالُ عَهۡدِى ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ ﴾

(My covenant (prophethood) includes not Zalimin (polytheists and wrongdoers)).
When Allah made Ibrahim an Imam (Leader for the faithful), he asked Allah that Imams thereafter be chosen from his offspring. Allah accepted his supplication, but told him that there will be unjust people among his offspring and they will not benefit from Allah's promise. Thus, they will neither become Imams nor be imitated (for they will not be righteous). The proof that Ibrahim's supplication to Allah was accepted is that Allah said in Surat Al-`Ankabut (29:27),

﴿ وَجَعَلۡنَا فِى ذُرِّيَّتِهِ ٱلنُّبُوَّةَ وَٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ ﴾

(And We ordained among his offspring prophethood and the Book).
Hence, every Prophet whom Allah sent after Ibrahim were from among his offspring, and every Book that Allah revealed was to them. As for Allah's statement,
﴿ قَالَ لَا يَنَالُ عَهۡدِى ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ ﴾

((Allah) said, "My covenant (prophethood) includes not Zalimin (polytheists and wrongdoers). '')
Allah mentioned that there are unjust people among the offspring of Ibrahim, and they will not benefit from Allah's promise, nor would they be entrusted with anything, even though they are among the children of Allah's Khalil (intimate friend, Prophet Abraham).

There will also be those who do good among the children of Ibrahim, and these it is who will benefit from Ibrahim's supplication. Ibn Jarir said that this Ayah indicated that the unjust shall not be Imams for the people. Moreover, the Ayah informed Ibrahim that there will be unjust people among his offspring. Also, Ibn Khuwayz Mindad Al-Maliki said, "The unjust person does not qualify to be a Khalifah, a ruler, one who gives religious verdicts, a witness, or even a narrator (of Hadiths).''

Link : The-Unjust-do-not-qualify-for Allah's promise

As you can see when deriving rulings of particular issues there's a lot more involved with regards to evaluating all the evidence from Quran and Sunnah, interpretation of it and this is where the difference of opinion arises from

Hope this was somewhat helpful walaal

That’s not the reason for the revolt. Hassan was still willing to support Yazid. He was a Tyrant and the people wanted to support the grandson of the Prophet (SAW). Once he gained support he started to make his move and rid his people of this zandiiq and most likely an enemy of Allah. He almost took over Kufa and was betrayed by the Iraqis and destroyed his trust in him when the backstabbed him and gave him to Yazid’s right hand man.

Long story short, Yazid was a drunkard, adulterer, tyrant who was also alleged to have sex with one of his sisters as well.

The scholars opinion is to not praise him nor say something bad about him

My shit is super simplified but I was addressing rebelling in a Islamic context since he never recognized him as the leader.

I’ve seen opinions that making laytna on him is permissible, for Sunnis.
Check your sources, it could be shia sources.

Saalih ibn Ahmad said: I said to my father, some people say that they love Yazeed. He said, O my son, does anyone love Yazeed who believes in Allaah and the Last Day? I said, O my father, why do you not curse him? He said, O my son, when did you ever see your father curse anybody?

Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi said, when he was asked about Yazeed: according to what I have heard he is neither to be cursed nor to be loved. He said, I also heard that our grandfather Abu ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Taymiyah was asked about Yazeed and he said: we do not deny his good qualities or exaggerate about them.

source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/14007/our-attitude-towards-yazeed-ibn-muaawiyah

Check your sources, it could be shia sources.

Saalih ibn Ahmad said: I said to my father, some people say that they love Yazeed. He said, O my son, does anyone love Yazeed who believes in Allaah and the Last Day? I said, O my father, why do you not curse him? He said, O my son, when did you ever see your father curse anybody?

Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi said, when he was asked about Yazeed: according to what I have heard he is neither to be cursed nor to be loved. He said, I also heard that our grandfather Abu ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Taymiyah was asked about Yazeed and he said: we do not deny his good qualities or exaggerate about them.

source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/14007/our-attitude-towards-yazeed-ibn-muaawiyah
It’s not, the source came from the brother at Sunni Defence

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
We should not comment on such things as we are laymen. Its not our opinion to judge the greatest generations to walk this earth

Asc walaal long time walaashay qaaliga, waxaan rajaynaya inaad iska fican tahay

Hussein RA and all those from the sahaba, imams (May Allah be pleased with them all) who followed them in that and viewed it permissible to rebel did so on the basis of the ijtihaad. They cited other islamic evidences to support their stance laakin unfortunately due to polarisation of this topic all together you hardly get to hear their reasoning.

Instead of a balanced approach you get a selective portrayal of the evidences, opinions etc by certain groups who not only refuse to acknowledge that there's a difference of opinion but deem anyone who differs from their understanding to be khawarij. I believe the more you read up on both sides of the views, the respective evidence given for each view, understanding of those scholars and how they came to their different conclusions etc will help clear all the uncertainties regarding this topic.

One of the evidence given by those who rebelled and viewed it permissible was the ayah from Surah Al baqrah

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." ( 2:124)

Below is the tafsir of ibn kathir of this ayat

Link : The-Unjust-do-not-qualify-for Allah's promise

As you can see when deriving rulings of particular issues there's a lot more involved with regards to evaluating all the evidence from Quran and Sunnah, interpretation of it and this is where the difference of opinion arises from

Hope this was somewhat helpful walaal

Wcs how are you??

That makes sense. Its deffo complivated but Ibrahim AS’s dua Ive never heard of that explanation before subhanallah thats so interesting

a y a n

nigga I am not a firefighter
VIP
If the government is gaal, and not really the true people of the book (acuthubillah you should see the Christianity the republicans believe in) then does the don’t riot thing apply?

AdoonkaAlle

Wcs how are you??

That makes sense. Its deffo complivated but Ibrahim AS’s dua Ive never heard of that explanation before subhanallah thats so interesting

Alhamdulillah walaal

Waa ruun it's definitely a complex issue all together that's why we need to look at it more carefully given the nature of the topic at hand. When it comes to this topic people have gone to 2 extremes as a result of letting their bias and limited understanding dictate how to deal with differing stances.

You'd be surprised just how much scholars differed while using the same line of evidences from the Quran iyo Sunnada all the way from the time of the Sahaba until now.

AdoonkaAlle

If the government is gaal, and not really the true people of the book (acuthubillah you should see the Christianity the republicans believe in) then does the don’t riot thing apply?

It may or may not be permissible but that's just one side of it, what needs to be looked up and weighed against each other are the benefits and harms that would arise and the impact that it would have on the people, community and state.

People may have legitimate grounds to rebel but if that leads to more harm what then it the benefit of it ? There are a lot of factors that need to be looked at carefully and not just the right to either engage or not.

a y a n

VIP
It may or may not be permissible but that's just one side of it, what needs to be looked up and weighed against each other are the benefits and harms that would arise and the impact that it would have on the people, community and state.

People may have legitimate grounds to rebel but if that leads to more harm what then it the benefit of it ? There are a lot of factors that need to be looked at carefully and not just the right to either engage or not.
Can’t think carefully now, it’s already started.
it’s join the winning side now or never:jcoleno:

AdoonkaAlle

Can’t think carefully now, it’s already started.
it’s join the winning side now or never:jcoleno:

Just to clarify the issue relating to rebelling against a ruler is with regards to a muslim ruler in a muslim country not the situation in a non-muslim country where muslims constitute a tiny minority any sort of rebellion will most certainly be more harmful than a similar rebellion in a muslim country.

Furthermore i don't believe the rioting going on in the usa can be justified from an islamic view point as it lacks legitimacy tbh. What constitutes as a valid reason in the islamic sense isn't necessarily the same as in the western perspective. This is why you simply can't substitute one for the other

Who's winning side ? those rioting and looting businesses of people that had nothing to do with the murder ? Seeking justice doesn't entail oppressing innocent people.

a y a n

VIP
Just to clarify the issue relating to rebelling against a ruler is with regards to a muslim ruler in a muslim country not the situation in a non-muslim country where muslims constitute a tiny minority any sort of rebellion will most certainly be more harmful than a similar rebellion in a muslim country.

Furthermore i don't believe the rioting going on in the usa can be justified from an islamic view point as it lacks legitimacy tbh. What constitutes as a valid reason in the islamic sense isn't necessarily the same as in the western perspective. This is why you simply can't substitute one for the other

Who's winning side ? those rioting and looting businesses of people that had nothing to do with the murder ? Seeking justice doesn't entail oppressing innocent people.
It’s a lot deeper than rioting and looting
If the government decides to arrest all of these people and send them to jail, the prison system will overflow and that would eventually lead to a collapse of the government
If they don’t; the riots will never stop. Anarchy will be the result
If they do not find a fix to the actual engrained racism within the prison system fast, America is doomed

AdoonkaAlle

It’s a lot deeper than rioting and looting
If the government decides to arrest all of these people and send them to jail, the prison system will overflow and that would eventually lead to a collapse of the government
If they don’t; the riots will never stop. Anarchy will be the result
If they do not find a fix to the actual engrained racism within the prison system fast, America is doomed

i agree that there's racism laakin is it because of racism that people commit crimes ? if so is it the leading cause ? if it's not then why is it not being addressed ?