Reading english is easier than somali

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks, in Americans english they pronounce water as waadher and in the cockney/Essex accent it's pronounced as waa'er with a hamza, and posh people pronounce it with a (t). The written script holds the language intact. That's why norway and Denmark spoke the same language 200 years ago but the more you twitch the written language the more they will diverge. In english if each accent went about writing phonetically within a couple of generations you'd have 20 different languages in the uk due to constant mutation in pronounciation.

I am glad you are proficient. Let us explore the apparent ills you so speak of in Somali by comparing the following:

These are verse from Keenadiid's 'Yaw garniqi doona':
  • Afka inaku gaariyo codka laysku garanaayo,
  • Niman baa gensanayoo ka jecel mid ayan gaareyne,
  • Ugumana gargaaraan raggii goosanka ahaaye,
  • Labada ra'yoo kala geddoon yaw garnaqi doona?

• Intii gibil madow duniyadaan gooni laga yeelye,
  • Gargaar kuma qabaan uumiyaha gaaliyo islaame,
  • Gaadiid in laga wada dhigtaa loo gol leeyahay e,
  • Sida loo gelaayiyo nabsiga yaw garnaqi doona?

These are verses from Lord A Tennyson's Rizpah:
  • WAILING, wailing, wailing, the wind over land and sea —
  • And Willy’s voice in the wind, ‘O mother,
  • come out to me.’ Why should he call me to-night,
  • when he knows that I cannot go?
  • For the downs are as bright as day, and
  • the full moon stares at the snow.

Now, wherein lies the fault in the Somali? What ills do you observe? Where does the English float its supremacy?

With the said verses, I was hoping we would delve into stimulating didactic analyses derived from linguistic fibre rather than congenial conjecture.

Are you not mistaking familiarity for desirability? We are familiar with Eng. as it is technically our native tongue, the business and tech. language, trained in, communicate with, but that does not mean it is more desirable. it is just familiarity. A good example is the more I read Mandarin, the less I find it intimidating, of course it puts one off at first, but then that initial angst arising from unfamiliarity dissipates with practice.

By the way, you agreed with @Ahmedahmed5000 who asserted:
' I'd say english is a much better due to its simple grammar and less rules'.

Postscript:
Do you know why I referenced Keenadiid's poem?

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts