Reading english is easier than somali

English is more easier due to it being an analytical language, somali is in disarray, no regularised spelling while it's an agglutinative which makes it even more harder.

you are right English is easier. Even tho im okay Somali speaker i have hard time understanding Somali music and poetry i always missing words.

People write hawl/howl gabar/gabadh toman/toban.

In english you have favor/favour mom/mum but american and British spelling have it standardised
See, therein lies the quandary, for it is not the language per se, but lack of its knowledge on the part of the speaker, who then somersaults with a sumptuous suit being served of its being of low standard.

If one misspells a word, it is just that, as in other languages, but not due to the language being faulty, for instance the word 'hawl' is spelt so, but a poor speakers of the language might pen it as 'howl', then it is just due to his being dyslexic.

Another observation, as in the case of 'gabar (East/South) / gabadh (North/West)' are regional deviations, yet had been settled by ustaad Cisman C Xaashi that 'gabadh' is indeed the correct form, yet both are acceptable in writing, albeit 'r' had been adopted and popularised in texts outside of classic literature and poetry, where 'dh' reins supreme. Or so I posit as a poetry enthusiast. The same is found in Arabic, esp. Masri where letter ' ذ، آ، ظ ' have all taken the sound of ' ز ', as popularised by Naghib Mahfouth in his famous Khan al Khalili, and so does contemporary authors.

af Maxaa tidhi vs af Maay
Let us all agree the two are distinctly different languages, albeit with similar root, where if af Maxaa tidhi speakers could not understand af Maay, as most of us, not exposed to it, do not, then it is a different language. Further, af Maay speakers tend to pass af Maay words as if af Maxaa tidhi, which further dilutes, if confuses learners of af Somali. I would venture 'toman' is af Maay whereas 'toban' is af Maxaa tidhi, and the same might appy to 'howl'.

In a nutshell, Somali is superior in terms of its literature, poetry and heterogeneity to English. So is Arabic. Not that I am a linguist, or an authority in any.

you are right English is easier. Even tho im okay Somali speaker i have hard time understanding Somali music and poetry i always missing words.
Your case is slightly different in that your proficiency might be poor, or might be inflcited with an undiagnosed case of degenarative hearing, but are instead projecting it unto the language.

See, therein lies the quandary, for it is not the language per se, but lack of its knowledge on the part of the speaker, who then somersaults with a sumptuous suit being served of its being of low standard.

If one misspells a word, it is just that, as in other languages, but not due to the language being faulty, for instance the word 'hawl' is spelt so, but a poor speakers of the language might pen it as 'howl', then it is just due to his being dyslexic.

Another observation, as in the case of 'gabar (East/South) / gabadh (North/West)' are regional deviations, yet had been settled by ustaad Cisman C Xaashi that 'gabadh' is indeed the correct form, yet both are acceptable in writing, albeit 'r' had been adopted and popularised in texts outside of classic literature and poetry, where 'dh' reins supreme. Or so I posit as a poetry enthusiast. The same is found in Arabic, esp. Masri where letter ' ذ، آ، ظ ' have all taken the sound of ' ز ', as popularised by Naghib Mahfouth in his famous Khan al Khalili, and so does contemporary authors.

Let us all agree the two are distinctly different languages, albeit with similar root, where if af Maxaa tidhi speakers could not understand af Maay, as most of us, not exposed to it, do not, then it is a different language. Further, af Maay speakers tend to pass af Maay words as if af Maxaa tidhi, which further dilutes, if confuses learners of af Somali. I would venture 'toman' is af Maay whereas 'toban' is af Maxaa tidhi, and the same might appy to 'howl'.

In a nutshell, Somali is superior in terms of its literature, poetry and heterogeneity to English. So is Arabic. Not that I am a linguist, or an authority in any.

Your case is slightly different in that your proficiency might be poor, or might be inflcited with an undiagnosed case of degenarative hearing, but are instead projecting it unto the language.
I'd say english is a much better due to its simple grammar and less rules, hence its the international language but its spelling could be chaotic at times. Somali is like Italy or Germany, uniting different tribes and city states and creating a language. After 70 years, we can clearly say its been a failure

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian πŸ‡©πŸ‡― | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
VIP
I'd say english is a much better due to its simple grammar and less rules, hence its the international language but its spelling could be chaotic at times. Somali is like Italy or Germany, uniting different tribes and city states and creating a language. After 70 years, we can clearly say its been a failure
English is a mongrel of its original germanic roots mixed in with heavy French influence when the Normans ruled England, some Scandinavian and bits of other tounges here and there.

It's not "simple and less rules" it's difficult for people in say China or Indonesia to learn English. It's only the global language because the past two superpowers that dominated in the past 200 years were English speaking.

How proficient, on a scale of 0 - 10, would you say is your Somali, both in its written and spoken forms?

Last edited:

Nin123

The most hated man in here
VIP
English is more easier due to it being an analytical language, somali is in disarray, no regularised spelling while it's an agglutinative which makes it even more harder.
Then go back to Somalia and fix it. Stop being lazy and help out your country.
IMG_1217.png

Bro I am not very familiar with languages, but I am curious to know what are the reasons that lead you to say that the Somali language is superior to the Arabic language?

English is a mongrel of its original germanic roots mixed in with heavy French influence when the Normans ruled England, some Scandinavian and bits of other tounges here and there.

It's not "simple and less rules" it's difficult for people in say China or Indonesia to learn English. It's only the global language because the past two superpowers that dominated in the past 200 years were English speaking.
Bro english grammar is simpler compared to other germanic languages, somali is useless, and msa isn't spoken, most gulf arabic countries are teaching their kids in english

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 17
I think you guys don't realize that ultimately what matters in a language is not grammar or syntax or whatever. Its what people have written in that language and how the written and in some cases the oral tradition has shaped or codified the language . What makes a language sophisticated is that tradition that has been built up on. And in most cases the more you have to draw on the more you cab explore. The written tradition allows you to stand on the shoulders of giants and not have to invent concepts or ideas. This is why you can't compare somali to English. For now I'd put our language above any african language but below most asian and European languages.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
The latin somali script needs a huge rehaul and standardization and implementation of accents. Im tried of seeing quadruple O's

Trending

Latest posts