Quantum Computing Thread

Quantum computing will be the next step in humanities ever growing march to exposing the laws of nature.

This thread will be solely for Quantum computing and the current problems solved.

I am doing a quantum machine learning research project at university. If you are interested in understanding the nuances of quantum physics just post here.

How does two particles become entangled?
First lets explain the non-menclature. Entaglement of qubits (where a qubit is a superposition of an arbitary 0 state and 1 state) occurs when the changing of one qubits state causes the other qubits state to change corresspondingly.

Particle entanglement is actually often the norm at birth, there are several ways to do this but i think the most common way is through atom excitation. Historically calcium atoms were placed in a highly excited energy level and their electrons , consequent due to transition laws , were forbidden to release a single photon to enter their "ground state" (lowest energy level).

Instead they emit two photons in quick successive , nanosecond difference, bursts.In the case that these photons leave in opposite direction a conservation of angular momentum comes into play which implies the polarizations are entagled(opposite "states")

There are also some tricks to force a higher probability of this happening and thus causing an entangled state.

I will it affect gaming?
Maybe security wise, but not for at least another century.Quantum computers are just good at some tasks involving algorithms, quantum simulations etc.

Idk about gaming but i wouldn't think it would have a huge impact.

https://www.livescience.com/google-hits-quantum-supremacy.html
Google just took a quantum leap in computer science. Using the company's state-of-the-art quantum computer, called Sycamore, Google has claimed "quantum supremacy" over the most powerful supercomputers in the world by solving a problem considered virtually impossible for normal machines.

The quantum computer completed the complex computation in 200 seconds. That same calculation would take even the most powerful supercomputers approximately 10,000 years to finish, the team of researchers, led by John Martinis, an experimental physicist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, wrote in their study published Wednesday (Oct. 23) in the journal Nature.

"It is likely that the classical simulation time, currently estimated at 10,000 years, will be reduced by improved classical hardware and algorithms," Brooks Foxen, a graduate student researcher in Martinis' lab, said in a statement. "But since we are currently 1.5 trillion times faster, we feel comfortable laying claim to this achievement," he added, referring to the supremacy of quantum computers.

Related: 18 Times Quantum Physics Blew Our Minds

Quantum computers take advantage of the whacky physics of quantum mechanics to solve problems that would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for classical, semiconductor-based computers to solve.

The calculation that Google chose to conquer is the quantum equivalent of generating a very long list of random numbers and checking their values a million times over. The result is a solution not particularly useful outside of the world of quantum mechanics, but it has big implications for the processing power of a device.

Strength in uncertainty
Ordinary computers perform calculations using "bits" of information, which, like on-and-off switches, can exist in only two states: either 1 or 0. Quantum computers use quantum bits, or "qubits," which can exist as both 1 and 0 simultaneously. This bizarre consequence of quantum mechanics is called a superposition state and is the key to the quantum computer's advantage over classical computers.

For example, a pair of bits can store just one of four possible combinations of states (00, 01, 10 or 11) at any given time. A pair of qubits can store all four combinations simultaneously, because each qubit represents both values (0 and 1) at the same time. If you add more qubits, your computer's power grows exponentially. Three qubits store eight combinations, four qubits store 16, and so on. Google's new computer with 53 qubits can store 253values, or more than 10,000,000,000,000,000 (10 quadrillion) combinations. This number gets even more impressive when another fundamental and equally bizarre property of quantum mechanics enters the show: entangled states.

Related: The 11 Most Beautiful Mathematical Equations

In a phenomenon described by Albert Einstein as "spooky action at a distance," particles that have interacted at some point in time can become entangled. This means that measuring the state of one particle allows you to simultaneously know the state of the other, regardless of the distance between the particles. If the qubits of a quantum computer are entangled, they can all be measured simultaneously.

Google's quantum computer consists of microscopic circuits of superconducting metal that entangle 53 qubits in a complex superposition state. The entangled qubits generate a random number between zero and 253, but due to quantum interference, some random numbers show up more than others. When the computer measures these random numbers millions of times, a pattern arises from their uneven distribution.

"For classical computers, it is much more difficult to compute the outcome of these operations, because it requires computing the probability of being in any one of the 253 possible states, where the 53 comes from the number of qubits — the exponential scaling [of states] is why people are interested in quantum computing to begin with," Foxen said.

Taking advantage of the strange properties of quantum entanglement and superposition, Martinis' lab produced this distribution pattern using the Sycamore chip in 200 seconds.

On paper, it's easy to show why a quantum computer could outperform traditional computers. Demonstrating the task in the real world is another story. Whereas classical computers can stack millions of operating bits in their processors, quantum computers struggle to scale the number of qubits they can operate with. Entangled qubits become untangled after short periods and are susceptible to noise and errors.

Although this Google achievement is certainly a feat in the world of quantum computing, the field is still in its infancy and practical quantum computers remain far on the horizon, the researchers said.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
First lets explain the non-menclature. Entaglement of qubits (where a qubit is a superposition of an arbitary 0 state and 1 state) occurs when the changing of one qubits state causes the other qubits state to change corresspondingly.

Particle entanglement is actually often the norm at birth, there are several ways to do this but i think the most common way is through atom excitation. Historically calcium atoms were placed in a highly excited energy level and their electrons , consequent due to transition laws , were forbidden to release a single photon to enter their "ground state" (lowest energy level).

Instead they emit two photons in quick successive , nanosecond difference, bursts.In the case that these photons leave in opposite direction a conservation of angular momentum comes into play which implies the polarizations are entagled(opposite "states")

There are also some tricks to force a higher probability of this happening and thus causing an entangled state.

We need more physoms in Somalia and less Spotters. Me and @Jablibax are doing a religious and cultural understanding tour of primitive societies in australia when he comes here, the aborigines. The purpose of the task is to see where PL fits into the scheme of humanity and our ancestors achievements. We will baseline against the Jews who are definitely leaders of the world in terms of groups. Do u have any common questions u want to ask. It's raw rural outback and tribal laws are governed by elders there and not government so u need to be prepared to go back 65000 years ago in time. We will know what is man made and what is natural. I have seen so far the following

god
tribes
fire
family networks and morals are present
stone based tools(they didnt reach iron age)
they also know how to paint that's interesting
Language
murder, stealing, lying and all that im not sure if they know it, its one question i am determined to ask

What they lack

no numbering system. If u ask him how many kids u got he says MANY or 1
no writing of course
no clothes

This debunks religion brought morality, it already existed. They brought knowlege of god maybe but not morality or else aborigines are living example of isolation from the known world and religions. Wish us the best on our puntite tour of aborigines. While Somalis are not growing bro, we are kkkkkkkk. They do lack a civilization tho and civilization is well rooted in iraq ironically where abraham and religion started too. So I am not saying religion has no role to play in the world, but many things were established prior to religion as NATURAL LAWS

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Waiting on two things...

One is secure quantum communication. Apparently we aren't that far from it.

The other is quantum supremacy. Not sure how big of a system you need for it but I think 100 qubits is the minimum.

At that level we should be able to test a lot of theories we have on chemistry and we should probably be able to simulate some high energy physics experiments.

Expect a huge list of new super materials that would drastically change our world.

Google announced recently that they reached QS but I didn't look into it since they barely made any waves in the scientific community working on it.

I think officially Microsoft is the closest to it at around 20 qubits.

Then again most governments are probably way ahead and want to keep that to themselves since it's the biggest arms race since the development of the nuke.

Get to 500 qubits and all your rivals secrets would lay bare to you.

No one will publicly announce they reached QS because the markets and most currencies would break down that same day.

Waiting on two things...

One is secure quantum communication. Apparently we aren't that far from it.

The other is quantum supremacy. Not sure how big of a system you need for it but I think 100 qubits is the minimum.

At that level we should be able to test a lot of theories we have on chemistry and we should probably be able to simulate some high energy physics experiments.

Expect a huge list of new super materials that would drastically change our world.

Google announced recently that they reached QS but I didn't look into it since they barely made any waves in the scientific community working on it.

I think officially Microsoft is the closest to it at around 20 qubits.

Then again most governments are probably way ahead and want to keep that to themselves since it's the biggest arms race since the development of the nuke.

Get to 500 qubits and all your rivals secrets would lay bare to you.

No one will publicly announce they reached QS because the markets and most currencies would break down that same day.

You can roughly assume a multiqubit syste. has 2^n bits of information , max wise.Quantum supremacy is a vague concept , Google's computer did reach QS but in a useless algorithm.

This algorithm would roughly take classical computers 10000 years to compute.

When we develop a Quantum Computer able to solve shors algorithm then prime numbers can be solved and encryption broken.

However quantum encryption would protect all data thus rendering the quantum "hacking" techniques useless.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
You can roughly assume a multiqubit syste. has 2^n bits of information , max wise.Quantum supremacy is a vague concept , Google's computer did reach QS but in a useless algorithm.

This algorithm would roughly take classical computers 10000 years to compute.

When we develop a Quantum Computer able to solve shors algorithm then prime numbers can be solved and encryption broken.

However quantum encryption would protect all data thus rendering the quantum "hacking" techniques useless.

Do we have an encryption algorithm for 100+ qubits though?

Hopefully someone comes up with an algorithm for 1,000+ qubits...Only then would I be comfortable in holding my assets digitally if QS has been announced.

If I had access to an unnanounced quantum computer the first thing I would do is hack all the crypto currencies and quickly sell billions worth before it becomes public.

Do we have an encryption algorithm for 100+ qubits though?

Hopefully someone comes up with an algorithm for 1,000+ qubits...Only then would I be comfortable in holding my assets digitally if QS has been announced.

If I had access to an unnanounced quantum computer the first thing I would do is hack all the crypto currencies and quickly sell billions worth before it becomes public.
I was talking to my professor , she has been working in this field for 20 years.Quantum computers are a few decades away and there are already companies like google looking to encrypt data.

Google would sell this and potentially make trillion after patenting the quantum computers.

Your assets are already stored digitally , aren't you part of a bank?

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I was talking to my professor , she has been working in this field for 20 years.Quantum computers are a few decades away and there are already companies like google looking to encrypt data.

Google would sell this and potentially make trillion after patenting the quantum computers.

Right now yh but when quantum computing becomes a reality then I wouldn't trust no network security or encryptions.

Google might offer up an open source encryption algo but for all we know the real hidden quantum computers might be already able to break them.

I'm just gonna savour the simple life we have now.

Tukraq

VIP

professors behind if she's thinking a few decades(no way it takes that long), 1 at the max

@PhySom

What if the most advanced Quantum computer is actually our own brains.

Perhaps all of those ancient stories of miracles and amazing so called super powers are not so far fetched after all.

@PhySom

What if the most advanced Quantum computer is actually our own brains.

Perhaps all of those ancient stories of miracles and amazing so called super powers are not so far fetched after all.

Im no brain scientist but I am pretty sure our brains use traditional electrical systems. The self , my friend, is an illusion.

Our brains work similiar to computers but are suited to different problems.There is no natural instance of quantum computing.

Trending