Qatar and Egypt, a new page

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
This is big news for Somalia.

Dare I say it, there will be a shift in the next Somali president's attitude to Ethiopia because of this.

Even if Farmaajo is re-elected, I highly doubt he will be buddies with Abiy and Afwerki after this.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
This is big news for Somalia.

Dare I say it, there will be a shift in the next Somali president's attitude to Ethiopia because of this.

Even if Farmaajo is re-elected, I highly doubt he will be buddies with Abiy and Afwerki after this.
I hope so, but don't forget that many Gulf states have investments in ETH.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I hope so, but don't forget that many Gulf states have investments in ETH.

Egypt has been playing a pressure game on Somalia to side with them against Ethiopia.

They have been spreading claims on Arab social/traditional media that Ethiopia has also been drying up Somali water sources.

They're also the only country (to the best of my knowledge) that ever supported Somalia's claim to the Ogaden region.

If Egypt becomes close with Qatar and Turkey, there will added pressure on Somalia to side with Egypt on the dam project.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
Egypt has been playing a pressure game on Somalia to side with them against Ethiopia.

They have been spreading claims on Arab social/traditional media that Ethiopia has also been drying up Somali water sources.

They're also the only country (to the best of my knowledge) that ever supported Somalia's claim to the Ogaden region.

If Egypt becomes close with Qatar and Turkey, there will added pressure on Somalia to side with Egypt on the dam project.
There’s a paradigm shift in foreign policy happening for sure. However a lot will change in 2023 when Erdogan loses. There will be a momentary chaos that ensues

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
There’s a paradigm shift in foreign policy happening for sure. However a lot will change in 2023 when Erdogan loses. There will be a momentary chaos that ensues

I highly doubt Erdogan is going to lose the next election. He is unpopular but no-one else in Turkey is popular enough to unseat him.

Firstly, the opposition do not have a candidate yet.

Most importantly, even if Erdogan is losing support, his opponents are secularists which are despised by the religiously devout Turks.

If you look at his approval rating below, its fluctuating month on month. This indicates that he's a divisive figure but not widely hated nor widely adored.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 5.17.19 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 5.17.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 5.18.38 pm.png

reer

VIP

egypt is the heart of the arab world. a strong egypt means a strong arab world with clout. if this is true then lets go back to drinking arabism juice.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
egypt is the heart of the arab world. a strong egypt means a strong arab world with clout. if this is true then lets go back to drinking arabism juice.

I have always believed Somalia should stay in the Arab League, it makes so much political and economic sense to tie ourselves to both Africa and the Middle East.

I do not hold any sentimental opinions towards Arabs but I realise how intertwined the average Somali person is with the Arabs.

It makes sense to have a seat at their table, might prove extremely beneficial to a stable Somalia.

I have always believed Somalia should stay in the Arab League, it makes so much political and economic sense to tie ourselves to both Africa and the Middle East.

I do not hold any sentimental opinions towards Arabs but I realise how intertwined the average Somali person is with the Arabs.

It makes sense to have a seat at their table, might prove extremely beneficial to a stable Somalia.
Explain the bolded part. Average Somali doesn’t think of an Arab and Vice versa.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Explain the bolded part. Average Somali doesn’t think of an Arab and Vice versa.

What I mean is that Somalis and Arabs have many things in common.

For example, Somalia's politics is influenced by the going-ons of the Arab world. Somalia is surrounded by African as well as Middle Eastern countries. The Middle East is an important business hub for Somali diaspora and residents.

My underlying point is that what happens in the Arab world has an impact in Somalia's political and social scene. Our fates are intertwined with Africa and the Middle East, does not mean we are all the same but we have a similar geo-political reality.

It is important to have a seat at the table that oversees these going-ons.

Farmajo acts like an ethiopian puppet but once he looses, we must forge closer relations with the arabs, especially egypt (which has always been an important ally to us). There’s a mutual benefit for destabilising ethiopia since they’re growing too quickly and could use us as a puppet to thwart a close union between the states and the government. Egypt also benefits from gaining somali support against the dam project. All that has to happen is for farmajo to leave.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Farmajo acts like an ethiopian puppet but once he looses, we must forge closer relations with the arabs, especially egypt (which has always been an important ally to us). There’s a mutual benefit for destabilising ethiopia since they’re growing too quickly and could use us as a puppet to thwart a close union between the states and the government. Egypt also benefits from gaining somali support against the dam project. All that has to happen is for farmajo to leave.
he is pragmatic, he'll chamge his skin if there was a greater pressure on him

Turkey already signed treaties with Abiy Ahmed and Qatar and other Gulf states especially UAE have good relations with Ethiopia and let's not forget they also invested in the Dam project and even bought farming lands for their agricultural products since gulf states is basically a desert where you can' grow a food

Turkey already signed treaties with Abiy Ahmed and Qatar and other Gulf states especially UAE have good relations with Ethiopia and let's not forget they also invested in the Dam project and even bought farming lands for their agricultural products since gulf states is basically a desert where you can' grow a food
Only Qatar bought a dam bond and it was insignificant. Arab countries have much larger agricultural investments in Sudan since it’s flat, not landlocked and easy to irrigate unlike the Ethiopian highlands. That’s why UAE forced Abiy Ahmed to hand Al-Fashaga to the Sudanese military.

Trending