Puntland Is 50 Districts. Official

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Puntland is 50 districts. Deni is here saying that another 47 districts remain to run closed list party elections and after that exercise will the top 3 parties will become the legal parties of Puntland. That means all the parties who weren't top 3 in this local election, still have a chance to run regionally.

This means that all puntites must be involved in another round of 'closed list' party voting, this will then create 3 official parties and the lower council seats will be shared depending on what votes the top 3 party secure. The formula will be 'voter registrations' and your party vote numbers and what percentage u secure. This will be translated into 'council seat' allocation based on the 'total council seats up for grabs' and your voter percentage against voter registration.

Check it out here where deni said Puntland has 47 districts remaining to poll at 5:20-30 mark

Waryaa @cow I also thought that u need to secure a 51% majority in the council to form the local government. But I think the system being used is first past the post and you just need to be the no 1 highest voted party to form the local government. But this means the council will be diverse and u could become a minority local government in a sea of other strong parties with strong local council representation.

Coalitions can be formed in the local council but that doesn't erase the no 1 preferred party securing the control of the local government. Don't get me wrong, it will be hard to get things through the local council because your party hasn't secured a majority in the council and will need to 'consult' with other parties regularly.

Coalitions work well when two parties have an 80/20 relationship. This means u can combine a major and minor party into a coalition and share policies and positions. But when two parties are equal in votes like mideeye-sinan, coalitions usually don't work as u need to negiotate away your local government positions and policies and split it 50/50 which will damage each party backers and representatives.

I don't think this coalition of mideeye-sinan will work.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@cow Saaxo-Towfiq-Ceel Dhanane PL southern frontier will get the chance to participate in PL closed list party elections and u will get to have a say on which 3 parties become the official parties of Puntland. I wish @Galmudug-State @Bariire just gave up this futile GM existence that has failed for the past 16 years to control GM, and throw their lot into Puntland. They always begging amisom-sfg for money and troops and this is enuff proof that GM isn't a self sufficient state. I mean @Galmudug-State even calls a fishing jetty a DEKED.

In hamar they used to call cinemas these small tv boxes in hamar in open tin sheds, they always bastardize everything into black markets.

Last edited:
So it's political association elections to chose top 3 parties that would run for presidential, local & parliament seats.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
So it's political association elections to chose top 3 parties that would run for presidential, local & parliament seats.

I am not sure about presidential elections, they haven't reached that far yet to discuss the rules involved. But yes they cud hold 2 types of elections at different intervals and years. One is the local council at the district, then another one for puntland parliament regional council which will be parliamentary system as the presidential election will need to win the most 'districts'.

I wud prefer the puntland parliament seats adjusted to local council elections results for the top 3 party but noone has reached that stage of discussion. I would love to know by Deni or TPEC, 50 districts means how many seat quota at puntland parliament?

When PL was built in 98. It was only 28 districts and was allocated 66 MPS. It has grown now to 50 Districts and that's 56% growth rate. 56% of 66 is 37. They will need to adjust the parliament for an extra 37 seats on top of the 66.

Will the same formula be followed? I suspect it will be the case, because they haven't done a census to adjust seats to population ratio.

Last edited:
I am not sure about presidential elections, they haven't reached that far yet to discuss the rules involved. But yes they cud hold 3 types of elections at different intervals and years. One is the local council at the district, then another one for puntland parliament regional council, and separate exercise for presidential election. I say that's over-doing it.

I wud prefer the puntland parliament seats adjusted to local council elections results for the top 3 party but noone has reached that stage of discussion. I would love to know by Deni or TPEC, 50 districts means how many seat quota at puntland parliament?

When PL was built in 98. It was only 28 districts and was allocated 66 MPS. It has grown now to 50 Districts and that's 56% growth rate. 56% of 66 is 37. They will need to adjust the parliament for an extra 37 seats on top of the 66.

Will the same formula be followed? I suspect it will be the case, because they haven't done a census to adjust seats to population ratio.

To avoid confusion it's better to keep the 18 region districts of Somalia. Bari, Nugaal, Mudug, Sool & Sanaag along with it's offichal districts.

When I looked up Ufyen it turned out to be a new district.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
To avoid confusion it's better to keep the 18 region districts of Somalia. Bari, Nugaal, Mudug, Sool & Sanaag along with it's offichal districts.

When I looked up Ufyen it turned out to be a new district.

I think they will have to until a census is done. When a census is done, we can adjust parliament seats to population rates in each district.

Trending