Puntland Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I am suprised we use wood in Puntland for construction. The best material for housing is usually found in your own environment, wood isn't built for PL environment, it will erode and maintenance work will be higher is my guess. If you look at every civilization that existed, they used resources around them to build their homes. Chinese used 'bamboo' and Europeans used 'wood' because they had lot's of forests. I am not sure why we aren't using what is basically our environment, ROCKS.

Below is an ancient egyptian home. You can clearly see they built from their own environment resources.

1a0fc22d-acf7-41d5-878c-c0f7b5f2fb49

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I am not to concerned if Puntland home is using 'modern plaster' on top of the construction to make it pretty, however the internal house structure needs to be made from the materials in the environment, not wood brought from overseas. How can you build a house from materials that is not suited for our desert environment. No wonder the houses are so hot inside and the building always corrodes.

All desert environments use 'rocks' to build their homes, even here in Australia, when you go to some desert towns it's made from rocks the homes like cooper pedy. The rock is 'strong element' and fights of the heat and keeps the inside cool, wood isn't a sufficient material for 40 degree heat environments.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
We just need some stone masons and they can finely architect the rocks to ensure 'smooth finishes'. Maybe @Armadillo knows more about this topic. But I am certain we can create beautiful stone based homes, plus it will be better quality house keeping the heat outside while the inside is 'cool'. We need to build for cooling inside and keeping heat outside. Materials used in a house are definitely a factor.

Manzana

𐒖 π’šπ’’π’˜π’‚π’—π’† 𐒖𐒒𐒆 π’ˆπ’‚π’‡π’™π’’π’Œ π’π’šπ’’π’‚. PIM.
They use rocks to the built houses in Puntland! I've never heard nor have I ever seen anyone use wood for construction in PL.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
They use rocks to the built houses in Puntland! I've never heard nor have I ever seen anyone use wood for construction in PL.

I keep seeing 'wood' being docked of at bosaso. It makes no sense, 'stone' is stronger material and keeps the heat out in comparison to 'wood'. I mean the 'internal' house 'frames' are you sure their 'stone'? I hope it is because if it is, the stone will provide a barrier to the heat so it doesn't come inside the house and should naturally cool it.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Manzana I am suprised they use 'metal roofing' also. That's not energy efficient. Metal 'cooks' under the sun and that heat will be 'trapped' inside the house. 'Stone roofing' is what is needed. You probably won't even need a FAN or AC if the house is built with good materials intended for your environment, you save up on lots of energy costs later. @Armadillo is an expert on this topic and the benefits of stone in construction which is a shame why he isn't giving us info on this topic.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Maybe we can create a small room with 'stone' and one with 'wood' and one with 'metal' and one with 'bricks'. I think you will find the one with 'bricks' and 'stone' are the most durable and keeps the house nice and cool since their strong material and they don't 'cook' under the sun like metal or wood. Because when they cook under the sun(meaning get hot on the surface) that will release 'heat' and that's not something you want in Somalia being a hot place.

Manzana

𐒖 π’šπ’’π’˜π’‚π’—π’† 𐒖𐒒𐒆 π’ˆπ’‚π’‡π’™π’’π’Œ π’π’šπ’’π’‚. PIM.
@Manzana I am suprised they use 'metal roofing' also. That's not energy efficient. Metal 'cooks' under the sun and that heat will be 'trapped' inside the house. 'Stone roofing' is what is needed. You probably won't even need a FAN or AC if the house is built with good materials intended for your environment, you save up on lots of energy costs later. @Armadillo is an expert on this topic and the benefits of stone in construction which is a shame why he isn't giving us info on this topic.
I think a lot of folks back home get this type of roofing because they can't afford better roof shingles.

I keep seeing 'wood' being docked of at bosaso. It makes no sense, 'stone' is stronger material and keeps the heat out in comparison to 'wood'. I mean the 'internal' house 'frames' are you sure their 'stone'? I hope it is because if it is, the stone will provide a barrier to the heat so it doesn't come inside the house and should naturally cool it.

When I was in Puntland, I saw some places that had hardwood flooring instead of the commonly used (in PL that is) tile flooring. Perhaps, this is what the wood you saw being docked in Bosaso will be used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending