Puntites come in; Decentralisation or Centralisation (Development)

I've seen an argument posed in another topic that suggests that Puntland should have focused on one city.
But isn't that what caused us issues in the first place ? Concentrating all of our wealth in one location and then facing the resentment and violence of people who tell us to "go home".

I believe we need to continue developing every town and city in Puntland to prepare for our eventual population growth, instead of building one mega-city which will just end up having large slums.

Look at what happened to Galkacyo , Garowe and Bosaso already, we have IDP camps on the outskirts filled with people from South-Somalia.

Why would we have one mega city? What would be the point?

I've seen an argument posed in another topic that suggests that Puntland should have focused on one city.
But isn't that what caused us issues in the first place ? Concentrating all of our wealth in one location and then facing the resentment and violence of people who tell us to "go home".

I believe we need to continue developing every town and city in Puntland to prepare for our eventual population growth, instead of building one mega-city which will just end up having large slums.

Look at what happened to Galkacyo , Garowe and Bosaso already, we have IDP camps on the outskirts filled with people from South-Somalia.

Why would we have one mega city? What would be the point?

Nothing like what happened in mogadishu will ever happen in puntland, since it's the indegionues people living in it, who do u assume will kick us out of garoowe or bosaso?

Puntlanders are skillfull, business savvy, connected, educated, turning villages into cities in matter of few years if only they Could've focused all that energy into one city.

We're competing with hargeisa, xamar, jigjiga, places with populations of millions that will obviously have more investment, because the demand demographic will be there, why would someone construct a large infrastructure in a place with a population of 100k specially in somalia where majority are earning less than a dollar.

There is far more development and creation of jobs going on in those major cities than anywhere else in somalia. Look that MJ businessman who built the biggest hotel in hargeisa, because he knew he would make far more money in hargeisa maybe.

One example is the airline companies like airabia, flydubai, Ethiopia airlines, djabouti air, all flying to hargeisa because its one major hub for the entire somaliland, business will come if demand is there.

Here we have bosaso, galkacyo, garoowe all with large airports each wanting to fly direct to their towns there isn't that many people flying to each town to create business for the airlines.

We need a hub, a cosmopolitan, a place that can compete with other cities in the region, that should be garoowe since its the capital and most organised!

@scarecrow

Perhaps this would work if the natives of the location were given financial settlements and certain guarantees. Do you not remember the tensions in Bosaso between the different Puntite communities, the fierce competition, I do.

Even in Garowe, lately, I noticed some delusional people claiming the capital as their deegaan (the dhulbahante on this website), when everyone knows the natives are Ciise, Reer Hersi etc.
Imagine, this is only 22 years in and they already want to lay claim on Garowe. :ftw9nwa:

Imagine if we invited all Puntites to Bosaso, the natives would definitely take up arms.

But yes, we have a problem with MJ businessmen investing in Hargeisa and Mogadishu. I don't disagree with you, I just think it will cause issues down the line.

@scarecrow

Perhaps this would work if the natives of the location were given financial settlements and certain guarantees. Do you not remember the tensions in Bosaso between the different Puntite communities, the fierce competition, I do.

Even in Garowe, lately, I noticed some delusional people claiming the capital as their deegaan (the dhulbahante on this website), when everyone knows the natives are Ciise, Reer Hersi etc.
Imagine, this is only 22 years in and they already want to lay claim on Garowe. :ftw9nwa:

Imagine if we invited all Puntites to Bosaso, the natives would definitely take up arms.

But yes, we have a problem with MJ businessmen investing in Hargeisa and Mogadishu. I don't disagree with you, I just think it will cause issues down the line.
:hahaidiot:

@scarecrow

I dont think guarantees can work in the somali context but puntland have odayaal dhaqmeed who are wise enough to handle any internal matters!

Yes I remember cali saleeban and cali jabril disputes, and cisman maxamoud and cali saleeban competition for control of bosaso. It's unfortunate people who are brothers arguining over pathetic issues!

I hope that the younger generation are different and we evolve enough to not ever squabble over petty disputes!

Puntlanders first no clans after that is my philosophy...

Dhulbahanate can never claim garoowe as their own, but as it's a puntland city it belongs to all.

I dont think guarantees can work in the somali context but puntland have odayaal dhaqmeed who are wise enough to handle any internal matters!

Yes I remember cali saleeban and cali jabril disputes, and cisman maxamoud and cali saleeban competition for control of bosaso. It's unfortunate people who are brothers arguining over pathetic issues!

I hope that the younger generation are different and we evolve enough to not ever squabble over petty disputes!

Puntlanders first no clans after that is my philosophy...

Dhulbahanate can never claim garoowe as their own, but as it's a puntland city it belongs to all.

Puntland needs serious discourse about clannism before this can be attempted. We cannot have "Puntland first" with certain flip flopping, land hungry people in our midst. They think that any friendly invitation is a chance to expand, ileen waa dhul doon :rolleyes:

I wish we had Majeerteenia instead of Puntland. Seriously.

Puntland needs serious discourse about clannism before this can be attempted. We cannot have "Puntland first" with certain flip flopping, land hungry people in our midst. They think that any friendly invitation is a chance to expand, ileen waa dhul doon :rolleyes:

Your right! But we can't have Majertenia since we have many loyal non MJ clans like awrtable, leelkase etc

Tucking_Fypo

Ψ³Ω„Ψ·Ω†Ψ© Ω…Ψ¬Ψ±ΨͺΩŠΩ†
VIP
Your right! But we can't have Majertenia since we have many loyal non MJ clans like awrtable, leelkase etc
It was always migiurtinia for centuries in same lands in regions (excluding SSC) non MJ lived under I don't get your point?

Cri
:meleshame:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Population demand doesn't create economy, that's nonsense. It's the population purchasing power that creates demand for business. What we should aim for is ensuring 1 puntite to have more puchashing power then the average southie, that's when businesses will rush in. Right now there dealing with a market place of people that live on $1-5 dollars a day, where we need to increase that to $100 a day. We need workers law in PL and begin setting minimum wage and other mechanism to control what the market pays it's workers so it can lead to workers purchasing power increasing not leave it too market to decide which is crazy when u r not a developed market.

The ways to do this is to ensure salaries are paid weekly so they spend weekly, in australia they pay salaries fortnightly to ensure money is being spent quickly so businesses can hire workers regularly, if they paid monthly, it would mean people only spend one time a month and other weeks is slow meaning they will lay off workers.

If PL regulated it's market it would lead to huge increases in wealth rather then allowing it to naturally regulate itself like it has been, which has shown the market will not change it's productivity rate. I suggest strict measures put into place for businesses to pay a minimum wage for workers, there is no point one big business takes large profit but doesn't share it around with his workers because one business man cannot generate market growth, he needs to increase his worker wages so they can create more demand.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@PuntiteQueen the biggest problem is the business culture in PL and Somalia, they want to keep the profits at the top, not spread it downwards to create more wealth for others who then create more demand for other sectors in the market place. I would suggest we have PL market analysis and work out property prices-utility costs-shopping costs-taxes per person in PL, we need to know because rural areas are not the same as urban areas and even urban areas are different to other urban areas depending where u r in PL.

Take for an example If an average house costs 50-70k, yearly expenses cost 2k. Then salaries should reflect something that is reasonable for someone to purchase a property and pay their living expenses. U can break down the property cost into yearly-monthly allocations needed by a person to pay it of over a time period say 20 years.

So if a house costs 70k then a worker should be paid no less then $3600 as a minimum wage yearly and monthly this $300 a month which is roughly what an average person would pay in rent in major cities of PL, this has to be a 'worker law' by puntland, it's critical because the average worker in puntland will then work for 'above minimum wage' and seek a salary of 6k a year while the lowest puntland worker should be on 3.5k a year as a gurantee so they don't fall below the poverty line and not be able to afford a home or pay living expenses. Unfortunately our govt doesn't know it's the govt to protect it's citizens do not fall below the poverty line by setting laws on companies.

U must set the lowest rates a company pay as a benchmark and from there the other sectors in PL will pay based on market rates and competition but never sit there and allow a company to compete without a basic minimum wage that reflects the cost of living in PL or else no-one will work like you see in PL today, they say it's pointless and pays to low to cover their needs.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@PuntiteQueen haven't u heard so many puntites saying 'shaqo ma jiro' they don't mean there is no work, there is work, but there is no work that pays enough to cover their living expenses or their goals to own a home and car and other necessities, so it's critical we don't under-pay to the point where no-one will bother working which means no taxes for govt also and a never-ending cycle of poverty.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@PuntiteQueen that @Teeri-Alpha says he is an economist, which i highly doubt if he was he would think about market as a whole growing not about one business growing by giving them the large profit incentives without spreading down that wealth to workers so it generates other sectors of the market to grow thru consumer demand.

He is also a shariah law advocate, so he should join a party that advocates for these things because I surely want nothing to do with a party that advocates against secularism and human rights first over shariah law and nor do I want a party that isn't based on workers rights and business rights. I a not far left on the economic policies though where it swings towards workers rights and businesses lose rights, I am center and prefer the moderate ground about my economic policies.

I demand that the market grows so any party with a policy that can allow other businesses to eat well from a workforce that has purchasing power I will support, this will mean they need to interfere in the market and set worker rights which obviously is against say someone like Teeri who believes in no interference plus he wants strict shariah law governance meaning it impedes on human rights and personal liberties. I swing to the 'right' only about military and security matters but I do like some left ideas about rehabilitation not punishment.

I can't wait till puntites are down to pure politics thru party, the only thing we are united about is federalism but we hold vastly differing views on economics, security, and secularism vs islamism and therefore parties need to decide what they support and gather up their base and lets go to a fuckin elections to determine who runs this shit.

Population demand doesn't create economy, that's nonsense. It's the population purchasing power that creates demand for business. What we should aim for is ensuring 1 puntite to have more puchashing power then the average southie, that's when businesses will rush in. Right now there dealing with a market place of people that live on $1-5 dollars a day, where we need to increase that to $100 a day. We need workers law in PL and begin setting minimum wage and other mechanism to control what the market pays it's workers so it can lead to workers purchasing power increasing not leave it too market to decide which is crazy when u r not a developed market.

The ways to do this is to ensure salaries are paid weekly so they spend weekly, in australia they pay salaries fortnightly to ensure money is being spent quickly so businesses can hire workers regularly, if they paid monthly, it would mean people only spend one time a month and other weeks is slow meaning they will lay off workers.

If PL regulated it's market it would lead to huge increases in wealth rather then allowing it to naturally regulate itself like it has been, which has shown the market will not change it's productivity rate. I suggest strict measures put into place for businesses to pay a minimum wage for workers, there is no point one big business takes large profit but doesn't share it around with his workers because one business man cannot generate market growth, he needs to increase his worker wages so they can create more demand.

I’m against any type of minimum wage

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I’m against any type of minimum wage

I hope we can have a pure democracy then with parties that reflect our different political and economic position. I am secularist and human rights first advocate, u may be a conservative shariah law first. If you also believe in a free market with low taxes go and join a right wing party in Somalia that stands for business rights and shariah law like the republicans stand for christianity and business rights. I am only conservative about security matters, i am liberal about human rights and separating religion from state and I am also big advocate of worker driven economy, not an economy that relies on a few rich people which won't allow the market to grow thru such a low pool of purchasing power.