Prophet's unprivileged family background and livelihood

Excerpt from Ibrahim Dewla’s speeches (my notes in brackets).

Prophet (saw) was an orphan. From onset, circumstances were difficult he (saw) never seen his father. Because before he (saw) was born his father passed away. He (saw) saw his mother only for 6 years. On return trip from Madinah mother passed away. Grandfather was present who loved Prophet (saw) dearly. When he (saw) age was 8 yrs old he passed away. Prophet (saw) said that he was 8 yrs old while he walking underneath funeral procession of his grandfather.

(Given anyone's family background usually both men and women get judged/rejected when it comes to being considered for marriage. In the instance marriage does take place, sometimes husband, wife or both have to hear unpleasant words. Reflect that Prophet (saw) himself came from an unprivileged background.)

Then his uncle raised him. Uncle was not affluent. In terms of wealth the family was modest. So Prophet (saw) said he worked as shepherd for wages. Qirat was currency during that time in Makkah. He (saw) said: "Even me I used to tend the sheep of the people of Makkah for a few Qirats." ( Sunan Ibn Majah 2149)

(People fall into despair if they don't have a good job/career, they would not be considered/rejected either by potential or their family. Take solace that Prophet (saw) was a shepherd).

Since very beginning circumstances were difficult. Upon Prophethood further difficulties came. Then Allah rectified those circumstances.

He actually came from privleged tribe in Mecca, one most powerful and influential in Arabia, he was middle class but married the richest women

His best friend, Abu Bakr was also wealthy

The real unpriveleged were people like Bilal and other lowerclass and Slaves

He (saw) does come from noble tribe but his circumstances ie being orphan, having others such as his uncle take care of him, having to work as a shepherd etc were unprivileged.

He was also a merchant
This was later stage. Even then he (saw) wasn't wealthy as he worked as an employee for Khadijah (rad). If one is wealthy and independent, one wouldn't work for anyone but themselves. In comparison for example Suleiman, he (saw) wasn't given a kingdom to start.

Trending