Property Investment in Turkey

Anyone know of anyone that has done this?

I’ve always been curious about investing in property in Turkey, as it’s an investment friendly country (with no 99 year lease nonsense), middle income country experiencing huge growth etc

The huge devaluation of their currency makes me thing it’s a prime opportunity.

I have relatives about to close deals with overpriced apartments in Nairobi and thinking Istanbul would be a better choice 🤔

Also they reduced the amount to get citizenship through their Citizenship by Investment program from 1million to 250k ! Not that I need Turkish citizenship but sounds like a great deal.

Apollo

VIP
Real estate is a boomer investment.

It underperforms tech company stocks.

Just buy Google, Microsoft, or Apple stock, it outperforms most real estate.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

I dunno. I prefer assets I can actually touch or even live in. At least over numbers on a screen.

Apollo

VIP
I dunno. I prefer assets I can actually touch or even live in. At least over numbers on a screen.

I moved several times in the past 5 years.

Moving gives you greater economic opportunity.

Stocks are liquid and also provide you more economic opportunity. You can sell instantly, while selling a house takes weeks/months and you get taxed to death with it (both when you own it and when you sell it).

Real estate is utter trash. It is only good for wealth preservation, not for wealth creation.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Stocks are liquid and also provide you more economic opportunity. You can sell instantly, while selling a house takes weeks/months and you get taxed to death with it (both when you own it and when you sell it).

Real estate is utter trash. It is only good for wealth preservation, not for wealth creation.

You're on point about the preservation but, idk, maybe I'm an adeer boomer in soul but I've always preferred real, tangible assets. Like my old man, he owns these big oil tanks in Bosaso. Like 3-4 of them. Rents them out to people for like 10-35K USD a month each depending on the customer. It's always a tangible asset that just needs some maintenance. Yes, it takes more time to find renters or buyers but I prefer it to some volatile stuff on a screen. Though I imagine owning notable shares in big companies is fairly safe

Apollo

VIP
You're on point about the preservation but, idk, maybe I'm an adeer boomer in soul but I've always preferred real, tangible assets. Like my old man, he owns these big oil tanks in Bosaso. Like 3-4 of them. Rents them out to people for like 10-35K USD a month each depending on the customer. It's always a tangible asset that just needs some maintenance. Yes, it takes more time to find renters or buyers but I prefer it to some volatile stuff on a screen. Though I imagine owning notable shares in big companies is fairly safe

You can still invest in tangible stuff like shares in a startup or a growing small company you know the founders in real life. That's perhaps a bit more real than shares in distant multinationals.

But I personally don't like investing in real estate or gold/silver. Both tend to underperform the stock market, especially growth companies.

Anyone who has invested in real estate (at anytime in the past 20 yrs, including peak 07 bubble) has made a killing

Real estate is a diff class of investment, is obviously longer term and has its own pros and cons. And any successful investor/trader has some real estate holdings, it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

And besides I wouldn’t touch stocks right now at these all-time-high-bubble-of-the-century prices. Would rather go all in Etherium than by some tech stocks.

Apollo

VIP
Anyone who has invested in real estate (at anytime in the past 20 yrs, including peak 07 bubble) has made a killing

Look at Apple's return in the last 20 years.

Average houses do not compare to it all.

I don't get how Somalis love real estate but fail to realize it underperforms tech stocks severely.

Look at Apple's return in the last 20 years.

Average houses do not compare to it all.

I don't get how Somalis love real estate but fail to realize it underperforms tech stocks severely.
Whats the guarantee Apple will perform like this 20 years from now?? Especially if dollar or society collapes, only tangible assets are good

Apollo

VIP
Whats the guarantee Apple will perform like this 20 years from now?? Especially if dollar or society collapes, only tangible assets are good

The dollar will never collapse, don't listen to doomers who say this shit and then advice you to buy gold or land. They have been wrong for decades (Peter Schiff etc.).

You have to re-evaluate stocks every year and if you are not a complete moron it is very easy to outperform real estate by keeping top tech company stocks (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Palantir etc.).

If you are lazy and don't want to do the analyses yourself there are ETFs that specialize in this and do the analysis work for you (look into ARK ETFs).

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You

Real states is absolutely trash when compared to the stock. Not to mentions dealing with duties of repairs/maintenances.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
If you invested 100k with the click of a mouse through Robinhood 10 years ago in either Google, Microsoft, apple, Amazon, Tesla or facebook, you'd be a millionaire today. I can't think of any easier way to make good gains in your investment.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
If you invested 100k with the click of a mouse through Robinhood 10 years ago in either Google, Microsoft, apple, Amazon, Tesla or facebook, you'd be a millionaire today. I can't think of any easier way to make good gains in your investment.

Sounds cool but that's a lot of time and you're speaking from hindsight now. At the time you wouldn't have known some of these companies would have done as well. Like let's say in the 00s when loads of shares weren't going for as much. I dunno, saxiib, I prefer putting lacag into things like those tanks, land, houses and even gold. A lot less of a gamble, even if you won't blow up as much in the long-term.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Sounds cool but that's a lot of time and you're speaking from hindsight now. At the time you wouldn't have known some of these companies would have done as well. Like let's say in the 00s when loads of shares weren't going for as much. I dunno, saxiib, I prefer putting lacag into things like those tanks, land, houses and even gold. A lot less of a gamble, even if you won't blow up as much in the long-term.
That has always been the first line of choice for business people for centuries due to its low risk and economic profitability. I'm assuming you come from a business oriented family.
Such investment require startup capital that's not easy to come by from a middle class person in order to generate good profit. Top tech stocks will always outperform real states and like @Apollo said you can get into certain high performing ETF that can do all the work for you .
Both side of my family are dirt poor and I'm also a first generation immigrant yet I still managed to bit the odd to become successful. I retired 4 months ago at the age of 30 thanks to my portfolio. I can live well off for the rest of my life by simply trading stocks and crypto and cashing out a small percent of my portfolio to fund my polygamous lifestyle. None of this wouldve been true if I went into realstate or gold.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
That has always been the first line of choice for business people for centuries due to its low risk and economic profitability. I'm assuming you come from a business oriented family.
Such investment require startup capital that's not easy to come by from a middle class person in order to generate good profit. Top tech stocks will always outperform real states and like @Apollo said you can get into certain high performing ETF that can do all the work for you .
Both side of my family are dirt poor and I'm also a first generation immigrant yet I still managed to bit the odd to become successful. I retired 4 months ago at the age of 30 thanks to my portfolio. I can live well off for the rest of my life by simply trading stocks and crypto and cashing out a small percent of my portfolio to fund my polygamous lifestyle. None of this wouldve been true if I went into realstate or gold.

Wallahi, I need to get in on this stocks and crypto stuff you abowes are on. Retired at 30 this saxiib says. Two of my cousins are hot on this and, to my surprise, are even making enough of a living to live in Dubai of all places from what was previously a dirt poor family background. I do come from a business oriented and rather well off fam so I imagine I'd have a good headstart.

Stop lying sxb. You claim to be retired but also trading

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
They have this citizenship by real estate investment program.

Could be useful if you want to dump some relatives from back home there that r begging you to take them to the west.

250k minimum but could be multiple units. A lot of drawbacks but Airbnb money could make up for it.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
Izmir metro area is a slept on opportunity. Flights to Izmir are dirt cheap rn too. easy opportunity to check out the units in person if you are fr an adeer boomer who wants to invest in something he can see and feel himself.

Maan

What do you bring to the table?
I would rather buy land in somalia and wait for its value to appreciate, or invest in the companies there, there's so much opportunity back home. Anyone who invested 20k last year on Garaacad port would have had 90k today.

There's a risk of devaluation if something happens or you could end up pissing off the locals for not developing the land, but hey, no taxes when you cashout and no taxes on precious dividends

Trending

Latest posts