Proof Democracy is farce: France passes widely unpopular without a vote in parliament

Macron Government Bypasses France’s National Assembly to Pass Pension Overhaul​

The government of French President Emmanuel Macron invoked a special provision of France’s constitution Thursday to bypass parliament and increase the country’s retirement age, an act of defiance that escalates the leader’s standoff with street protesters and opposition lawmakers.

The use of Article 49 of the French constitution allows the Macron government to enact a contentious overhaul of France’s pension system after it struggled to cobble together enough votes in Parliament. But the maneuver comes at a high political price: Protesters and opposition parties that have painted Mr. Macron as an authoritarian now have more ammunition to mobilize the masses.

GemState

36/21
VIP
Funny niggas, they're protesting 2 years extra. If they don't make the elderly work, they'll need more immigrants

@DR OSMAN this what modern liberal "democracy" offers, a rigged system with a few winners. France, Spain and Italy were all better when they were ruled by a strongman. Doctor, I suggest you look up how Francisco Franco ran Spain, he was able to turn a dying country around and defeat all the separatist groups in the country. Franco was referred to as a dictator, war criminal and all sorts of things by the West.

Last edited:

GemState

36/21
VIP
@DR OSMAN this what modern liberal "democracy" offers, a rigged system with a few winners. France, Spain and Italy were all better when they were ruled by a strongman. Doctor, I suggest you look up how Francisco Franco ran Spain, he was able to turn a dying country around and defeat all the separatist groups in the country.

The reason people all over the world are obsessed with democracy is that it grants people political predictability. Nothing to do with development.

Funny niggas, they're protesting 2 years extra. If they don't make the elderly work, they'll need more immigrants
Around 90% of the population was against the bill, if they were really about it they would shed some blood. I don't know if they will bring in more immigrants, France's control of Africa is dying too, so they can't loot as freely as once before. Libya is establishing it's army and government again and has reconciled all fighting groups while Mali has pretty much kicked all of France out. No more easy oil or minerals for France. if the French franc is dropped by 4-5 countries that use it and swapped for gold, then France as a country will die.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:russ:

The reason people all over the world are obsessed with democracy is that it grants people political predictability. Nothing to do with development.
liberal democracy * doesn't work, people are simple, they just want leaders that can guarantee them security(i.e. food, education, healthcare) and personal freedoms. I agree that democracy can work at the local level but overall the Western model is terrible. Chinese version of democracy is something that might be better as everything in terms of development and local laws are done through local elections. The people elected are given goals and held responsible if those goals aren't met on time.

The french government cannot afford to keep the pensions for people who can still work (technically). They don't have a large enough tax base and I think baby boomers are the *most populous generation who are now retiring.
Macron is between a rock and a hard place, it is understandable.
Options:
a) increase the retirement age by a couple years; seems like the best option
b) decrease government services: social security checks, healthcare, employment insurance will be affected- not good
c) Increase immigration- these people don't want anymore africans and muslims in their country - so no
d) increase tax on the wealthy - this happened between 2000 and I think 2010, there was a mass exodus of millionaires and billionaires from the country, they rescinded it - so I don't think it will happen again
e) increase tax on the middle class- they will also go berserk and might stifle economic growth- no?

The US is running into this problem too.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@anon2 Im still waiting for your somalia foreign policy challenges and opportunities. Democracy is based on ppl freedom to vote, many democracies exist(weak n strong), but human rights is what I was talking about. This somali nationalist with a mix of bin laden is absolutely a terrible value system to teach the kids, it will lead us into conflict ethnically or religiously with the world, plus i dont blame non somalis or non muslims not wanting somalia to recover, would u?

bidenkulaha

GalYare
France’s president has a lot of power constitutionally. He’s effectively an elected dictator. This is very different to the US and Europe where most presidents barely have any power without the support of parliament/congress.

In fact this is a case for more democracy as the parliament would’ve found it hard to vote this through.

@anon2 Im still waiting for your somalia foreign policy challenges and opportunities. Democracy is based on ppl freedom to vote, many democracies exist(weak n strong), but human rights is what I was talking about. This somali nationalist with a mix of bin laden is absolutely a terrible value system to teach the kids, it will lead us into conflict ethnically or religiously with the world, plus i dont blame non somalis or non muslims not wanting somalia to recover, would u?
@DR OSMAN personal freedoms and human rights can only established be by force in places like Somalia where everything is settled with violence. To establish fundamental rights we need to first mass educate the populous in Somalia. You need at least 1 or 2 generations of people who have grown up under a law and order system. They need to educated, not be emotional bond or have this "nomadic" mindset.

You are correct about our "enemies". if I was a neighboring country I would never want Somalia to recover, Ethiopia and Kenya have benefited greatly thanks to Somalia not existing for the past 32 years. However both Kenya and Ethiopia are artificial country which is why they haven't developed very much despite having the guiding hand of the West and the East.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

France’s president has a lot of power constitutionally. He’s effectively an elected dictator. This is very different to the US and Europe where most presidents barely have any power without the support of parliament/congress.

In fact this is a case for more democracy as the parliament would’ve found it hard to vote this through.
Europe, maybe. US - no.

The US is usually bipartisan on non-social issues because US politicians on all sides are lobbied by the same groups. This is why defense spending and bank bail outs are unanimously approved. US foreign and to a degree domestic policies are controlled by a handful corporation. It's run like a business.

Lobbying is legal bribery and basically dismiss the notion of that the US is a strong democracy.

Trending

Latest posts