Preaching unity but flying solo, Abiy’s ambition may stall Ethiopia’s transition

Source: https://www.ethiopia-insight.com/20...biys-ambition-may-stall-ethiopias-transition/

These quotes alone paint a stark picture of Ethiopa.

Abiy said: “I am the leader for the next five years; if I don’t get enough votes in the ballot boxes, I will rig the elections”. His justification: “This is Africa”.

The vacuum at the local level is partially occupied by informal groupings and a kind of community self-regulation. In the same kebele where fear reigns, an informal group of youngsters is headed, de facto, by members of the emerging middle-class in their forties (typically grain merchants, shopkeepers, and so on). What would be considered as the new small-town proletariat, such as young casual labourers, is over-represented in this group. Farmers form less than a third of members. The youngsters are the only body which show some muscle. “We are treated with big respect by the authorities”, they proudly proclaim

“The state has collapsed” or “Ethiopia is statelessness” is a frequently heard assessment outside these towns

The core of Abiy’s convictions seems to be shaped by a mix of looking at Ethiopia and the outside world through the lens of his fervent and strict religious beliefs and what he calls Ethiopian philosophy or “Ethiopian values”. He hasn’t publicly detailed their specificities, but, according to members of his entourage, the core is religious. Ninety-nine per cent of Ethiopians belong to a monotheist faith. Is it by chance only that the name Prosperity Party echoes the rising ‘prosperity gospel’ among Christian evangelists

One example of his personalised approach has been the way Abiy bypasses institutions. If these operated according to the constitution, they would be powerful enough to exert control over his activities. To avoid this, he has created different bodies, for example, the Administrative Boundaries and Identity Issues Commission, usually staffing them on his own recommendations. They largely overlap, and in effect replace, already existing institutions. There was another worrying sign recently of a disregard for constitutionalism when Abiy appointed new ministers rather than recommending them to Parliament. Abiy, in fact, has chosen to build a personalised network through transactional deals, requesting the mediation of elders and religious leaders, or face-to-face dialogue

The same people who held to positions in the former ruling party and the state, and instrumentalized these to accumulate wealth, from the top down to the level of kebele chairman, largely remain in situ: the reform process doesn’t affect them, it even supports them. Nothing shows that this oligarchic fortress has been shaken, except for the politically motivated targeting of a few individuals, mostly Tigrayan. Corruption reached an unprecedented level in the last years.

Abiy Ahmed is essentially relying on his charisma and religion to fix his country rather than actually reforming it. Bypassing instituions and actual mechanisms for conflict resolution to talk to elders and priests and legitimzation of armed youth groups as authority figures. Lets see if he wins (rigs) five more years and how his big tent party filled with centralists, federalists and ethnic nationalists will actually rule:drakelaugh:

Abiy said: “I am the leader for the next five years; if I don’t get enough votes in the ballot boxes, I will rig the elections”. His justification: “This is Africa."

:susp:
So entitled, I feel bad for all african countries these zionists putting these puppet leaders.

Abiy said: “I am the leader for the next five years; if I don’t get enough votes in the ballot boxes, I will rig the elections”. His justification: “This is Africa."

:susp:
So entitled, I feel bad for all african countries these zionists putting these puppet leaders.
I think Failmajo gave him the confidence he needs.

I think Failmajo gave him the confidence he needs.
Saxiib, all of Africa is controlled by zionists.

They are putting leaders with "democracy" but they are really dictators.

Look at Congo, Kenya, Ethiopia's state.
All we can do is pray and wait for the YAHUUD to fall.

Tukraq

VIP
Yep abiy isn’t doing anything tangible and Ethiopia isn’t better off, but I don’t care about Ethiopia so then having an ineffective leader is a good thing

:comeon:

Fake news. He never said thinks like
“I am the leader for the next five years; if I don’t get enough votes in the ballot boxes, I will rig the elections”. His justification: “This is Africa”
If he said so the Ethiopian media would go crazy but never heard of such thing uttered from him.

:comeon:

Fake news. He never said thinks like
“I am the leader for the next five years; if I don’t get enough votes in the ballot boxes, I will rig the elections”. His justification: “This is Africa”
If he said so the Ethiopian media would go crazy but never heard of such thing uttered from him.
Rene Lefort has worked as a journalist and researcher in Ethiopia since the late 70s I think I would trust his reporting over a Ethiopian nationalist on a Somali forum:cosbyhmm:

Rene Lefort has worked as a journalist and researcher in Ethiopia since the late 70s I think I would trust his reporting over a Ethiopian nationalist on a Somali forum:cosbyhmm:

Can you tell him to show some evidence or reference where Abiy said so. Do you really think the Ethiopian opposition and media would have been silent on this kind of outrageous speech? May be there is a translation issue.