Pre Islam Somalia society for women.

Hilmaam

Sound mind sound body
VIP
Picked a very tough topic somalia has been Muslim for hundreds of years. even our previous religions have mostly been lost due to lack of written records.

I didn't know somalia was that progressive that it had gender reconstruction surgery back than times has changed
Somalis are descendants of Yakuub from Mecca. That is why we have such big foreheads.

1673323468776.png

Based

VIP
You shouldnโ€™t worry on these topics. Thereโ€™s nothing we really know about pre-Islam Somalia in general how do you expect sspot to know about how xalimos were treated in the stone agesโ€ฆ

The only sources youโ€™ll find on โ€œPre-Islamic Somaliaโ€ is a 1990s book by I.M. Lewis or some random bloke from Cardiff. If you want primary & accurate sources of Somali history then it only goes so far. Anything before the 7th century is mere speculation. I donโ€™t know why itโ€™s so hard for Somalis to deny that. Only the irreligious struggle with it which is ironic since they pride themselves in critical thinking but get pissed when you tell them their version of Somali history are false folktales from Ugaas I.M. Lewis. You were better off writing about the Pre-Islamic Eastern Europeans. Thereโ€™s lots of material on them. Yeah actually compare Eastern European women to MENA women. They have history before Islam unlike Somali women. Good luck on your paper.

Does anybody know how society was for women in Somalia pre-Islam? It's for a college paper. Or does anyone know how Somali differ from Mena women when it comes to rights in Somalia?
We don't have a written history so it is practically impossible to know for sure how society was, but you can look at rendille and women in their society, they are a very related somaloid people and some of them still believe in the old cushitic sky god.

Rights is a very different term depending on where you apply it from. If you take rights from a Western platform, you're almost dealing with a fallacy, since people in the past wherever they were from saw the world very differently, and instead of trying to understand their motivations and how things played out, no matter how women got treated, you end up putting a modern Western filtered value-judgment on that society on a scale that it was only good if they measure closer, and the traditions further from it are worse. It's only good relatively or worse relatively. This does not mean that I think of morality relatively, but when you measure things from a secular perspective, then you're meant to be self-aware that it is almost ridiculous.

As Muslims, anything that deviates from Islamic principles is ignorance because we believe that morality is objectively from God, not from 17th-century European philosophers that appropriated pre-existing thoughts mixed in with hedonism, and human rights that only evolved from an elusive place where the holder of those list of standards are the ones in power, which ironically demands you reflect their values. Today you can see it instrumentalized when it comes to the foreign policy of America and other Western countries selectively putting sanctions and speculating on the domestic content of developing countries in a strictly self-serving way, all to advance their economic and power-expanding goals. It is elaborate modern-day imperialism.

I don't know what you're studying, but from an anthropological place, it would be better to measure, similarities and differences, and potential influences between two ancient cultures in regard to collective behavior -- choosing the cultural and traditional indicators that interest you, while also highlighting the strength and weaknesses of that choice. It's easier to find resolution of information from well-documented people; like comparing two groups in MENA. Pre-Islamic Iran and Iraq, for example. You have to be more specific about how ancient you're going as we're talking about different groups, changing cultures, and differences between cultures based on where in the empires they occupied. Things like that fluctuated over thousands of years, so you'll have to take a time transect and give justification for why that moment fits best relative to the other comparison.

I've heard anti islamic/arab ( a lot of them confuse the two lol) pro black or somali nationalists idealize the pre islamic life is being better for women before arabs brought their misogyny to the country. But if you look at the traditional somali customs that have nothing to do with islam you can tell somalia has always been a rough culture for women. fgm being 1 example

Liban89

Maqal herder | Burco boodhweyn.
@Leila loves

Here is a research paper by prof Baadiyow on the History of pre islamic somali peninsula as well as the medieval ages. It might not be 100% what you were looking for but some contents of the paper, it's literature review and references could be of help.

Cheers

Attachments

• 335973772-The-History-of-the-Somali-Peninsula-From-the-Ancient-Times-to-the-Medieval-Muslim-Pe...pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 109

Liban89

Maqal herder | Burco boodhweyn.
You shouldnโ€™t worry on these topics. Thereโ€™s nothing we really know about pre-Islam Somalia in general how do you expect sspot to know about how xalimos were treated in the stone agesโ€ฆ
What a stupid reply, saying as if you have done many a research then came to the conclusion that there is nothing to study with regards to the subject.

Many somali scholars have dedicated a fair share of their time to research and write about the exact topic. Familiarise yourself with the works of professor Baadiyow and prof Ahmed Ibrahim awalae. Do not belittle Somalis on sspot, there are in incredibly brilliant people on here who have more knowledge and aptitude for helping others than you and I combined.