Post your Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
Biggest jump we've seen in a few generations. Even the 1070 (the b product) outperforms the $1000 Titan X
In knew the they were going to be an improvement but I didn't imagine it will be this big. This is going be good year but next year is going to be something else by both AMD and nvidia.

In knew the they were going to be an improvement but I didn't imagine it will be this big. This is going be good year but next year is going to be something else by both AMD and nvidia.

Nah this is what people have been waiting for for a while. Any future releases will be incremental improvements - this is the time make the jump.

Lostbox

VIP
Nah this is what people have been waiting for for a while. Any future releases will be incremental improvements - this is the time make the jump.
Next year are when they highest end versions are going coming out the Titan, the ti and the next fury card. Not that I'm going to buy any of them but there performance are what interest me.

Next year are when they highest end versions are going coming out the Titan, the ti and the next fury card. Not that I'm going to buy any of them but there performance are what interest me.

They will be improvements no doubt. But the jump from 1080 to 1080Ti < 980Ti to 1080.

NVIDIA-Pascal-GPU_2016_Roadmap.jpg

Thought we could relate, you bib wearing asssss. jk, nah I figured you'd have to something to say about the smartphones conquering the PCs.

I don't really use the GUI. Opening windows and clicking around is a waste of time in my opinion. I just the terminal commands for everything. Much more time efficient.

Lool I'm actullay a huge phone nerd. I like how powerful phones have become but they'll never be able to replace a desktop or laptop. Most people can't even grip a 6 inch phone properly, so I always find the argument that they'll replace PCs stupid.

Lostbox

VIP
I don't really use the GUI. Opening windows and clicking around is a waste of time in my opinion. I just the terminal commands for everything. Much more time efficient.

Lool I'm actullay a huge phone nerd. I like how powerful phones have become but they'll never be able to replace a desktop or laptop. Most people can't even grip a 6 inch phone properly, so I always find the argument that they'll replace PCs stupid.
Can I ask why we are not seeing a huge improvement that we used to see in the early day? Like from the Samsung galaxy s1 to 2 was huge then to the s3 was still massive, to the s4 not so much, s5 wait one more year, if you have the s5 you don't need the s6 or 7 or maybe even 8. What with the slow progress?

Can I ask why we are not seeing a huge improvement that we used to see in the early day? Like from the Samsung galaxy s1 to 2 was huge then to the s3 was still massive, to the s4 not so much, s5 wait one more year, if you have the s5 you don't need the s6 or 7 or maybe even 8. What with the slow progress?

Great question sxb. Hmm this is gnna be hard to answer. S1 and S2 were the first generation phones. You gotta step back and look at their predessecors. Phones like Blackberrys, Sidekick, Sony erricson. Small screens, low storage, barely any GPS functionality, terrible cameras, and ugly as f*ck user interfaces. Then the iPhone came and changed the entire game. That was a huge paradigm shift because we changed the whole way we see and use phones.

You can compare a S7 and a s4 and realize it's more or less the same phone with almost the same features. You got your GPS, HD touch screen, HD camera, Bluetooth, etc.. The difference is the camera/processor/memory and user interface now is much much better. Try using a S7 camera. They put a real camera sensor so the pics are stunning. Shutter speed is fractions of a second, as soon as u open the camera app instantly it's ready to go. Screen is now crisper with every release. The processor every year keeps getting better and faster. So on a broad scope the phones are more or less the same, no real innovation. But there are major improvements. That's been the key recurring theme. Every year they just keep adding improvements and over 2 or 3 years those improvements add up so much you'd be amazed how much better the phones have become.

But wait! There are innovations and big changes though. Just nothing truly ground breaking that will cause another paradigm shift, like the iPhone did. Phones now have 4gb of ram. Four fucking gb. That's how much your average pc user has these days lmao. And this summer the note 6 is supposed to come out with 6gb ram. That's a huuuge improvement considering we only had 1 to 2 gb ram couple years ago. Finger print sensors are a norm as well. Another nice feature you can only appreciate if you have it. Also you heard it here first, expect next year's phones or 2018 to come out with screens that fingerprint unlock anywhere on the screen. So you can touch anywhere on the screen and the phone will open. Also quick charging is nice too. I love how I can charge my S7 from 0 to 80 in 15min. You never had that before.

The last thing I wanna touch on. Perhaps the biggest hindrance or bottleneck for true innovation; lithium ion batteries. It's been a struggle to improve battery life. Not jus for phones but electronics in general. They have been cock blocking performance for a while. Why? Well the thing is we can put a bunch of crazy powerful specs in a phone but it will have shit battery life. The batteries simply cant keep up with how fast everything else is progressing. Laptops are facing this dilemma now. That's why if you see a extemely powerful laptop, most of the time they'll have really shitty battery life.

Last edited:

Lostbox

VIP
Great question sxb. Hmm this is gnna be hard to answer. S1 and S2 were the first generation phones. You gotta step back and look at their predessecors. Phones like Blackberrys, Sidekick, Sony erricson. Small screens, low storage, barely any GPS functionality, terrible cameras, and ugly as f*ck user interfaces. Then the iPhone came and changed the entire game. That was a huge paradigm shift because we changed the whole way we see and use phones.

You can compare a S7 and a s4 and realize it's more or less the same phone with almost the same features. You got your GPS, HD touch screen, HD camera, Bluetooth, etc.. The difference is the camera/processor/memory and user interface now is much much better. Try using a S7 camera. They put a real camera sensor so the pics are stunning. Shutter speed is fractions of a second, as soon as u open the camera app instantly it's ready to go. Screen is now crisper with every release. The processor every year keeps getting better and faster. So on a broad scope the phones are more or less the same, no real innovation. But there are major improvements. That's been the key recurring theme. Every year they just keep adding improvements and over 2 or 3 years those improvements add up so much you'd be amazed how much better the phones have become.

But wait! There are innovations and big changes though. Just nothing truly ground breaking that will cause another paradigm shift, like the iPhone did. Phones now have 4gb of ram. Four fucking gb. That's how much your average pc user has these days lmao. And this summer the note 6 is supposed to come out with 6gb ram. That's a huuuge improvement considering we only had 1 to 2 gb ram couple years ago. Finger print sensors are a norm as well. Another nice feature you can only appreciate if you have it. Also you heard it here first, expect next year's phones or 2018 to come out with screens that fingerprint unlock anywhere on the screen. So you can touch anywhere on the screen and the phone will open. Also quick charging is nice too. I love how I can charge my S7 from 0 to 80 in 15min. You never had that before.

The last thing I wanna touch on. Perhaps the biggest hindrance or bottleneck for true innovation; lithium ion batteries. It's been a struggle to improve battery life. Not jus for phones but electronics in general. They have been cock blocking performance for a while. Why? Well the thing is we can put a bunch of crazy powerful specs in a phone but it will have shit battery life. The batteries simply cant keep up with how fast everything else is progressing. Laptops are facing this dilemma now. That's why if you see a extemely powerful laptop, most of the time they'll have really shitty battery life.
Well said. The most interesting thing about smartphone is that they become so powerful that they are opening a whole new industry that has already begun. AR and VR. Just the same why that computer got so powerful an energy efficient that it allowed for laptops and that coming in with mp3s and camera, process, storage and more getting ever so smaller, allow for the smartphone. Now, smartphone are allowing for AR and smart watch to arrival because of again, how small most of the components are getting. Honestly, thing are getting more interesting. When quantum computer arrive I can't imagine how much change will come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.