Portuguese description of Maydh in the 1500s

Apparently all the inhabitants ran away when they saw the Portuguese coming, but the Portuguese mention that there were two mosques and a school, probably a dugsi, where they had wooden boards and ink, Loox.
B8A7D12E-93E0-4FBA-8FAE-09D54C4B8103.jpeg

84F872D8-9BA3-4370-92CC-55085AA0FBDF.jpeg

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
The two musjid with burial grounds sounds like they’re describing sheekh sheekh ciise’s tomb

1707061440778.png

1707061509568.png

Garaad diinle

 
Somalis were smart enough not to trust these blood thirsty pourtugese for you see there were a number of ships ducked close by to the shore (probably owned by the somalis of the port) all of whom were burnt by the portuguese alongside the houses of the inhabitants. Kulaha capture some to learn about what nation they belong too, yeah right.

This is the first time i've read about this. The description of the place is quite interesting. I did some searching and found out it's from a book called "The Prester John of the Indies: A True Relation of the Lands" by Francisco Alvares.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
This is from the year 1520. The Portuguese 13 years earlier had sacked Barawa, and in the late 1510s had attacked both Zeila and Berbera, the principal ports of Adal. I’m very confident that every person in the Somali peninsula, both on the coast and in the interior, had heard about these destructive Sea Peoples and were on guard.

A few years later a contingent of knights would come from Maydh to join the Conquest of Abyssinia, and many of them would have been boys (or what we call teenagers today) at the time when this temporary evacuation had happened.

What was the ethnic composition of Maydh when the Portuguese arrived in the historic town? I heard some sources stating that Maydh was an Arab settlement and one of the principle cities along the northern Somali coast. Al Masudi mentions the Arab tribes that inhabited the northern Somali coast in the book of Aqeeliyoon.

attash

Amaan Duule
What was the ethnic composition of Maydh when the Portuguese arrived in the historic town? I heard some sources stating that Maydh was an Arab settlement and one of the principle cities along the northern Somali coast. Al Masudi mentions the Arab tribes that inhabited the northern Somali coast in the book of Aqeeliyoon.
Maydh was inhabited by the Harti during the 16th century, as described by the Futuh al Habasha. Zero evidence that Arabs built this town, or any other town in the north for that matter.

They spoke a language which the Portuguese, who were familiar with Arabic, couldn’t recognize. Stop the cope
273AE865-3151-4D19-8503-58B297E7C23A.jpeg

The Futuh Al Habesha also mentions the people of Maydh were Harti
C8905D3D-6D3C-479C-B1C5-A6930A1C57D6.jpeg

Garaad diinle

 
The Jarän are interesting because the name has an umlaut, and should be pronounced with an ‘ae’ as in ‘Jaraen’ which sounds a lot like Gareen, the royal family of the Ajuran.
Oh man i remember seeing this and also coming up with a similar conclusion but i remember being persuaded otherwise. There is even a somali elder native to harar and his name is haji ciise sheekh cumar cusmaan also known as cumar ajuraan.

World

VIP
This is from the year 1520. The Portuguese 13 years earlier had sacked Barawa, and in the late 1510s had attacked both Zeila and Berbera, the principal ports of Adal. I’m very confident that every person in the Somali peninsula, both on the coast and in the interior, had heard about these destructive Sea Peoples and were on guard.

A few years later a contingent of knights would come from Maydh to join the Conquest of Abyssinia, and many of them would have been boys (or what we call teenagers today) at the time when this temporary evacuation had happened.
39 years later...

On the left was the Somali tribe of Harti, from the people of Mait; a people not given to yielding. There were three hundred of them, famous among the infantry as stolid as swordsmen.....One of the Arabs called Hamzah al-Jufi engaged in a battle to the death in front of the Imam of the Muslims. He was one of the footsoldiers and stood his ground and stood the test, confronting war with a full heart. He never struck one infidel whom he did not unhorse, dead. He killed so vast a number of them in the middle of the river, that the river water was turned red by the blood. The whole tribe of Harti was like him. Page 78.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
Oh man i remember seeing this and also coming up with a similar speculation but i remember being persuaded otherwise. There is even a somali elder native to harar and his name is haji ciise sheekh cumar cusmaan also known as cumar ajuraan.

The Ogaden region was still firmly connected to Harar as a ‘middle-men trade route’ as late as the 19th century, which reached as far as Luuq and Mogadishu. It makes sense that this commercial highway of caravans, merchants and goods, would also include Gareen knights joining the Futuh, since every modern clan had at-least one senior lineage or sibling lineage participating in the Conquest.

Its too bad that Qalaafo has been neglected as an archaeological place of interest, since that was the original capital of the Gareen.

Trending

Latest posts