Police can now use millions more people's DNA to find criminals.

Policing power may be about to get much stronger, thanks to another advance in genetic analysis. A new technique can link the patchy, limited DNA information held in forensic databases to the rich DNA libraries held by family tree-building websites, raising further questions about genetic privacy.

Earlier this year, an ancestry database used by people looking to trace their family history was used to identify the suspected Golden State Killer, a serial killer active in California decades ago. Since his arrest in April, genealogy databases – which allow consumers to upload their DNA sequences – have been used to crack several other cold cases.

These stores of DNA data meant for consumers were needed because forensic databases hold only limited information. Now a new technique could link the two, further expanding police use of DNA data.

Bridging the gap

The US national DNA database used by police and the FBI – called CODIS – doesn’t store whole DNA sequence data. Instead, it focusses on up to 20 specific stretches of repetitive DNA code. These regions vary between individuals, so can help identify people. But consumer genetic databases store different data instead – single-letter variations in DNA across hundreds of thousands of sites in the human genome. With more data points, you can more accurately pin down a person’s relationship to others.

“When police have DNA evidence, usually it’s very minute quantities. Currently, they have this dilemma: should we run a CODIS set on our DNA or use the more sophisticated techniques?” says Yaniv Erlich of genetic ancestry company MyHeritage.

But a new computational model can link people in CODIS database to records in genealogy databases, says Noah Rosenberg at Stanford University, who led the team that built it. The model relies on the fact that the two separate types of genetic markers are located on the genome in roughly the same location – the longer stretches in CODIS are surrounded by the single-letter variations used by ancestry databases. When tested, it could identify up to 32 per cent of parent-offspring pairs, and up to 36 per cent of sibling pairs, in a test sample of 872 people.

“This could expand the number of cold cases that are solvable,” says Natalie Ram at the University of Baltimore, Maryland. She says it also brings up questions of how private our genetic information is.

In some states, Ram says, the law allows police to take DNA samples from non-criminals – people who have been detained or arrested but not charged with a crime. So, for example, a protester who is taken into police custody could have their DNA stored and later used to track down their third cousin who is suspected of a crime.

Genetic privacy

The forensic system was designed to be as minimally informative as possible, so that it can’t reveal information beyond identity, says Rosenberg. But the DNA data in genealogy websites can reveal physical or medical characteristics, so the ability to link between systems means that CODIS can now be used to deduced more detailed information about a person’s genetic makeup.

The number of matches between CODIS and consumer sites is, for now, limited by the fact that they tend to cover quite different populations. There are more samples from minorities in the forensic database, while genealogy sites are mostly used by white people of European descent.

The new technique currently only works with close relatives, but with sufficient DNA evidence. Erlich and his team calculate that more than half the adults in the US can be identified in this way.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-peoples-dna-to-find-criminals/#ixzz62Un98DRZ

DNA analysis site that led to the Golden State Killer issues a privacy warning to users.

As more details emerge about the arrest of the man suspected to be the Golden State Killer, it’s clear that one of the most infamous unsolved cases of all time was cracked using a popular free online genealogy database.

The site, known as GEDmatch, is a popular resource for people who have obtained their own DNA through readily available consumer testing services and want to fill in missing portions of their family tree to conduct further analyses. Compared to a polished service like 23andMe, GEDmatch is an open platform lacking the same privacy and legal restrictions that govern user data on more mainstream platforms.

To home in on their suspect, investigators used an intact DNA sample taken at the time of a 1980 Ventura County murder linked to the serial killer. The team uploaded data from the sample into GEDmatch and were able to identify distant relatives of the suspect — a critical breakthrough that soon led to the arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo, 72.

Given the high-stakes nature of DNA data and the popularity of voluntary online DNA databases, the case immediately raised a number of flags for data privacy advocates.

On Friday, GEDmatch confirmed on its landing page for logged-in users that law enforcement sifted through its DNA database in the case:

To correct a BIG misunderstanding, we do not show any person’s DNA on GEDmatch. We only show manipulations of data such as DNA [matches].

We understand that the GEDmatch database was used to help identify the Golden State Killer. Although we were not approached by law enforcement or anyone else about this case or about the DNA, it has always been GEDmatch’s policy to inform users that the database could be used for other uses, as set forth in the Site Policy

While the database was created for genealogical research, it is important that GEDmatch participants understand the possible uses of their DNA, including identification of relatives that have committed crimes or were victims of crimes.

If you are concerned about non-genealogical uses of your DNA, you should not upload your DNA to the database and/or you should remove DNA that has already been uploaded. To delete your registration contact gedmatch@gmail.com.

Though an initial misunderstanding raised suspicion that law enforcement used a major player in consumer genetic testing like 23andMe or Ancestry DNA in the Golden State Killer development, investigators instead leveraged another voluntary DNA database with no such hoops to jump through. Both 23andMe and Ancestry require law enforcement to create a legal request in the form of a search warrant or a court order before accessing any specific genetic or personal information.

23andMe explains its policies toward forensics in a special page dedicated to its relationship with law enforcement:

Use of the 23andMe Personal Genetic Service for casework and other criminal investigations falls outside the scope of our services intended use.

Therefore, it is a violation of our TOS for law enforcement officials to submit samples on behalf of a prisoner or someone in state custody who has been charged with a crime.

While the revelation that investigators have apprehended a suspect in the long-cold case is good news, the incident is reigniting justifiable concerns around consumer DNA testing.

In an interview with The New York Times, Paul Holes, the Contra Costa county investigator who helped crack the case, marveled at the power of GEDmatch. “I was blown away with what it could do,” Holes said.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/27/golden-state-killer-gedmatch/

A popular genealogy website just helped solve a serial killer cold case in Oregon.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/31/hlavka-murder-gedmatch-dna/

FamilyTreeDNA Admits to Sharing Genetic Data With F.B.I.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/business/family-tree-dna-fbi.html

Ancestry customer says he is glad his DNA on GEDmatch led to unknown cousin's arrest for murder.

Despite cold cases solved, cops' access to DNA databases remains controversial

https://www.local10.com/news/crime/...tch-led-to-unknown-cousin-s-arrest-for-murder

Now I won't do my DNA ancestry.

@SOULSEARCHING

Huuno, your DNA is all over Somalispot and no law enforcement agency is interested in it. You’re safe.

Many Somalis who thought they got away with serious crimes will be caught through their sons, daughters, nephews, nieces or other distant relatives DNA tests. There are Somalis who crossed borders or moved continents after they committed crimes in one jurisdiction while leaving behind their DNA, these guys will be caught and extradited. In the near future, there will very few unsolved cold cases or all be solved.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Policing power may be about to get much stronger, thanks to another advance in genetic analysis. A new technique can link the patchy, limited DNA information held in forensic databases to the rich DNA libraries held by family tree-building websites, raising further questions about genetic privacy.

Earlier this year, an ancestry database used by people looking to trace their family history was used to identify the suspected Golden State Killer, a serial killer active in California decades ago. Since his arrest in April, genealogy databases – which allow consumers to upload their DNA sequences – have been used to crack several other cold cases.

These stores of DNA data meant for consumers were needed because forensic databases hold only limited information. Now a new technique could link the two, further expanding police use of DNA data.

Bridging the gap

The US national DNA database used by police and the FBI – called CODIS – doesn’t store whole DNA sequence data. Instead, it focusses on up to 20 specific stretches of repetitive DNA code. These regions vary between individuals, so can help identify people. But consumer genetic databases store different data instead – single-letter variations in DNA across hundreds of thousands of sites in the human genome. With more data points, you can more accurately pin down a person’s relationship to others.

“When police have DNA evidence, usually it’s very minute quantities. Currently, they have this dilemma: should we run a CODIS set on our DNA or use the more sophisticated techniques?” says Yaniv Erlich of genetic ancestry company MyHeritage.

But a new computational model can link people in CODIS database to records in genealogy databases, says Noah Rosenberg at Stanford University, who led the team that built it. The model relies on the fact that the two separate types of genetic markers are located on the genome in roughly the same location – the longer stretches in CODIS are surrounded by the single-letter variations used by ancestry databases. When tested, it could identify up to 32 per cent of parent-offspring pairs, and up to 36 per cent of sibling pairs, in a test sample of 872 people.

“This could expand the number of cold cases that are solvable,” says Natalie Ram at the University of Baltimore, Maryland. She says it also brings up questions of how private our genetic information is.

In some states, Ram says, the law allows police to take DNA samples from non-criminals – people who have been detained or arrested but not charged with a crime. So, for example, a protester who is taken into police custody could have their DNA stored and later used to track down their third cousin who is suspected of a crime.

Genetic privacy

The forensic system was designed to be as minimally informative as possible, so that it can’t reveal information beyond identity, says Rosenberg. But the DNA data in genealogy websites can reveal physical or medical characteristics, so the ability to link between systems means that CODIS can now be used to deduced more detailed information about a person’s genetic makeup.

The number of matches between CODIS and consumer sites is, for now, limited by the fact that they tend to cover quite different populations. There are more samples from minorities in the forensic database, while genealogy sites are mostly used by white people of European descent.

The new technique currently only works with close relatives, but with sufficient DNA evidence. Erlich and his team calculate that more than half the adults in the US can be identified in this way.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-peoples-dna-to-find-criminals/#ixzz62Un98DRZ

OLD NEWS

I think i posted a post years ago that i am afraid to go register my dna on ancestry dot com in fear, the black sheep of my family will be in trouble

Last edited:

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Dude!

They are capturing cold case suspects on a daily basis. Just the other day they caught a guy that raped and killed a female teenager in 1990.

This dude thought he got away with it. Living in a different state with a family.

How about the other popular DJ dude who got caught on the cold case from 30 years ago.

Dude!

They are capturing cold case suspects on a daily basis. Just the other day they caught a guy that raped and killed a female teenager in 1990.

This dude thought he got away with it. Living in a different state with a family.

How about the other popular DJ dude who got caught on the cold case from 30 years ago.

@R.Kelly

Yep mate, this is the list of criminals in the U.S caught through only by the GEDmatch and not included those DNA companies who cooperated voluntarily or were subpoenaed by law enforcement agencies to catch criminals.

List of suspected perpetrators of crimes identified with GEDmatch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspected_perpetrators_of_crimes_identified_with_GEDmatch

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Dude!

oh those were good catch yaaqee! I saw them on 2020, highly amusing and walle Karma!

OLD NEWS

I think i posted a post years ago that i am afraid to go register my dna on ancestry dot com in fear, the black sheep of my family will be in trouble

_103528726_fibteam.jpg

Forensic Science Service

Women at forefront of booming forensic science field.

One thing missing from the new program is men: Ninety percent of the students are female.

When it comes to crime fighting, “men tend to gravitate toward the gun-carrying jobs, ” Whildin said. Women take a more scholarly path.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...cience-field/2012/07/27/gJQAkASRPX_story.html

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
_103528726_fibteam.jpg

Forensic Science Service

Women at forefront of booming forensic science field.

One thing missing from the new program is men: Ninety percent of the students are female.

When it comes to crime fighting, “men tend to gravitate toward the gun-carrying jobs, ” Whildin said. Women take a more scholarly path.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...cience-field/2012/07/27/gJQAkASRPX_story.html

No we r more gossipy and like how a story begins and ends. DNA is a story teller itself.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
oh those were good catch yaaqee! I saw them on 2020, highly amusing and walle Karma!

Exactly

I love how they are snatched when they long forgotten abt it.

But sadly they’ve enjoyed life all these years.

Maybe not because when you kill you become paranoid

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Exactly

I love how they are snatched when they long forgotten abt it.

But sadly they’ve enjoyed life all these years.

Maybe not because when you kill you become paranoid

Human blood is not easy thing. It cries out for u. But if it is self defense its okey

Human blood is not easy thing. It cries out for u. But if it is self defense its okey

@Basra

You should ask potential suitors of your daughters for their DNA and ask them to place it on GEDmatch & if the cops didn’t nab them, then she is safe with him, otherwise you’re welcoming a monster into your home.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

You should ask potential suitors of your daughters for their DNA and ask them to place it on GEDmatch & if the cops didn’t nab them, then she is safe with him, otherwise you’re welcoming a monster into your home.

@AussieHustler I want u as a son in law. U r the post child of my daughter is safe. U r generous, ideological, and a gentleman.

Together with my youngest daughter, your sweetness & generosity will be conned by your maid. I am guessing u will provide her with a maid right?

@AussieHustler I want u as a son in law. U r the post child of my daughter is safe. U r generous, ideological, and a gentleman.

Together with my youngest daughter, your sweetness & generosity will be conned by your maid. I am guessing u will provide her with a maid right?

@Basra
t
Eeddo, I feel very touched and honoured by your kind words and the trust you invested in me, thank you Eeddo. However, may I kindly and respectfully ask you, if your wonderful and lovely daughter could be replaced by a maid, what are the deficiencies of your wonderful daughter? What is the catch Eeddo macaan?

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra
t
Eeddo, I feel very touched and honoured by your kind words and the trust you invested in me, thank you Eeddo. However, may I kindly and respectfully ask you, if your wonderful and lovely daughter could be replaced by a maid, what are the deficiencies of your wonderful daughter? What is the catch Eeddo macaan?

loooooooooL@ well my daughter has been brought up like a proper English aristocratic lady. She cannot do manual jobs. Her primary job will be to give u babies. Thats all.

loooooooooL@ well my daughter has been brought up like a proper English aristocratic lady. She cannot do manual jobs. Her primary job will be to give u babies. Thats all.

@Basra

Again, I would like to express to you my gratitude in honouring me to be a husband to your fabulous daughter, but I regret that you mentioned three things that I'm highly allergic to;

First: Marriage
Second: Children (other people's children are cute from a distance).
Thirdly: Royalty, monarchy. I'm a diehard Republican.

Can I recommend to you another Somalispotter gentleman? @R.Kelly, don't look beyond him. Though he's a peasant, he will conform to any ideology when he see a dime.

Trending

Latest posts