PM Abiy visits Somali region and launched a 300kms road project at the cost of 6 billion Birr (160 mio USD)

Apollo

VIP
@xabashi What language did he use to address the Somalis? Amharic I presume?

Elel9NHX0AMbTfP

Will they be hiring Somali workers or will they bring in others like last time?

Government doesn't own construction companies. They are all private companies or big foreign companies that outsource many tasks to local construction companies. Whom they hire is I think up to them but I assume many locals will get jobs on the construction site since it will be more cost effective but I'm not an expert on that and can be wrong.

@xabeshi What language did he use to address the Somalis? Amharic I presume?

What do you mean? Are you asking what PM Abiy spoke? I guess Amharic but if he can Somali, I am sure he would have addressed them in Somali as he did in Oromia and Tigray.

I thought he may use English. 😂

You think the majority in Somali region understand more? I doubt. But anyways the few officials that are present will mostly understand Amharic and the general public will get the news in Somali TV, all translated in Somali. So I see no big deal. You can't expect a PM to master 80 languages.

Apollo

VIP
Are you expecting a PM to master 80 languages? Please! The Somali TV will translate it of course.

Kenyan Somalis almost all speak English and Swahili, but Ethiopian Somalis are incredibly isolated and insular and don't learn foreign languages as much (except for some of the educated ones).

Kenyan Somalis almost all speak English and Swahili, but Ethiopian Somalis are incredibly isolated and insular and don't learn foreign languages as much (except for some of the educated ones).
I’m sure the majority of us can speak basic Amharic but can’t read nor write in it.

If he can address other Ethnic groups in their languages then he can address us in ours or have the decency to have an onsite translator.

He is the first PM to master 3 local languages and we have 80 languages in Ethiopia. So, those he masters, of course he uses when he visits those areas but you can't expect him to master all.

He is the first PM to master 3 local languages and we have 80 languages in Ethiopia. So, those he masters, of course he uses when he visits those areas but you can't expect him to master all.
Key words: He could have had a translator with him, shouldn’t he be trying to connect with the locals and show them he cares as their Prime Minister? Kind of hard to feel a connection to a person when you don’t even understand half the things they are saying.

Key words: He could have had a translator with him, shouldn’t he be trying to connect with the locals and show them he cares as their Prime Minister? Kind of hard to feel a connection to a person when you don’t even understand half the things they are saying.

I'm sure those who attended the inauguration were mostly those officials who most likely understand Amharic. The masses will not be present and will get the news via Somali TV, all translated in their own language. So I see no problem here. Don't forget that currently Amharic is the official working language of the federal government and the PM is expected to communicate with it even though people don't bother if he uses whatever language he masters.

He needs to lay stones for an industrial park and upgrade Godey international airport & Terminal to proper standards. The road project was needed but it’s disrespectful to come empty handed to the Ogaden Nation when you are only giving us crumbs after years of marginalization.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
protest happens in the Amhara region, Abiy immediately jolt to somali region to show off a road construction.
:deadmanny:

Last edited:

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Your oil and gas comes from Somali Galbeed and you have the audacity not to learn Somali.

He needs to lay stones for an industrial park and upgrade Godey international airport & Terminal to proper standards. The road project was needed but it’s disrespectful to come empty handed to the Ogaden Nation when you are only giving us crumbs after years of marginalization.
What’s the obsession with Somalis calling all local airports international kkkkk

Trending