Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry in Somalia

Do you think Somalia should invest and develop it indigenous home grown pharmaceutical/Biotech industry similar to Cuba instead of importing crappy medicine from India. If Somalia had the resources and capacity to produce it medicine needs, it would have saved money,created jobs,contributed to our gdp and export regionally and internationally aswell.

Hue_Man

(Alkebulan mother of mankind)
yes we should. Our only hope of development is through turkey.chinese , indians and arabs suffer from superiority complexes so i dont trust them.

It's near impossible for an industry to flourish without a stable government. Businesses or any other investments will not even entertain the idea of starting a pharmaceutical company in a country where they feel can erupt in violence any minute.

Start with the basics.

1. Stable government
2. Free impartial independent media
3. Transparency (litte corruption)
4. Rule of law

From there, economic activity and wealth creation will start to expand. Businesses will have confidence in the local markets and invest capital.

It's near impossible for an industry to flourish without a stable government. Businesses or any other investments will not even entertain the idea of starting a pharmaceutical company in a country where they feel can erupt in violence any minute.

Start with the basics.

1. Stable government
2. Free impartial independent media
3. Transparency (litte corruption)
4. Rule of law

From there, economic activity and wealth creation will start to expand. Businesses will have confidence in the local markets and invest capital.
Security should be 1st or close 2nd.

We are far far faaaaar from that. We need to start with education and regulation of these industries first. Right now anyone can pretend to be a doctor/dentist or pharmacist. There is a long way to go before we can even talk about starting a pharmaceutical industry.

Education and security should be our focus for the next 5-10 years.

When I said stable government I included the ability to protect its borders & citizens.

But yes you are absolutely right. Security is extremely important.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
We can and we should develop a pharma sector but the issue is without strict govt regulation, idiots will always flood the market with counterfeit drugs. Indian medicine is not crap in and of itself. It’s the fact the Somali traders who buy this stuff are ignorant and are either unable/or uninterested to find safe reliable medicines. They treat medical purchases like buying t shirts - with only price and volume in mind not quality or safety.

You can do this in a diaspora city @codewebsduh
As native somalis are backward and unable to do anything right?
Yea, why not.

Developing a strong medical industry is functionally reliant on stringent government regulations. Corrupt Somali leaders will simply be paid off when it comes to enforcing them.

I have done some medical physics units and had a tour of a private radiology clinic. A beautiful system which helped Australians with their cancer troubles.

As for youur question, in a town built by the best the Somali race has to offer it is plausible for a medical industry to flourish. Perhaps even export equipment and training to the other cities.

My Diaspora town can manifest itself in many ways. It could be a cordoned off region within a large city within Somalia or involve a whole city. Note it could also form from the former to the latter.

I will be strongly advocating for a system in Somaliland soon.

QueenofKings

We are far far faaaaar from that. We need to start with education and regulation of these industries first. Right now anyone can pretend to be a doctor/dentist or pharmacist. There is a long way to go before we can even talk about starting a pharmaceutical industry.

Education and security should be our focus for the next 5-10 years.

There is literally a Somali guy who was a real estate agent in west London who now runs a clinic in Hargeisa where he is ‘treating’ people.

Somalia first needs to clear up this political turmoil and focus on security and corruption. We also need to eradicate terrorism and actually control the entire country. After this education, agriculture, economy and infrastructure should be the main focus. We are a long way from biotech. We need a constitution , rule of law and many things first. If Somalis decide to fix up we could see a biotech sector in the 2030’s however we’re in 2021 and the future doesn’t look bright.

There is literally a Somali guy who was a real estate agent in west London who now runs a clinic in Hargeisa where he is ‘treating’ people.

I've seen this myself too. I'm a doctor in the UK and it's one of the things a group of us are looking into and working with authorities in SL and Somalia both. It's scary how people can be tricked and mistreated by quacks. They also take opportunities from young Somali trained doctors who are increasingly competent!

I've seen this myself too. I'm a doctor in the UK and it's one of the things a group of us are looking into and working with authorities in SL and Somalia both. It's scary how people can be tricked and mistreated by quacks. They also take opportunities from young Somali trained doctors who are increasingly competent!
Mashallah brother. Another thing I would point out is that there should be an education push in the more secure areas like PL and SL. It wouldn’t cost a lot to get schools like in India where it’s a simple classroom and everyone has their books. This has also happened in South Korea after the Korean War. It will raise and educated youth that can create opportunities for themselves. Also we can send the highest ranked kids to medical schools in Cuba (they’re good quality and very cheap). This will end the fake doctors.

QueenofKings

in sha Allah you and other medics can make an impact. But I fear money rules- and if random people decide to build clinics for themselves, they can operate outside of the law.

Iimaan’laanta, how can they be som confident as to ‘treat’ a sick person when they didn’t even finish secondary school. Just causing more misery and Ill health.

There should be hefty punishments for these types of crimes I’m talking about 20 yr sentences and manual labor. It’s unfortunate that people who haven’t graduated secondary school have out country in a chokehold :meleshame:

Trending